Full marks (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
~Sw33ti3~ said:
hey, i'm in top 5.... and plus, i write prepared essays... i get them marked, refined over and over again until they are succinct, and gets me good marks (eg trials).... plus i have a rather alright cramming memory so i can memorise it word for word the morning b4, and forget it in a months time...

so dat is how i'm aiming for a band5/6! and i am sure i am confident. mayb not too confident like higher selectives, but hey, mine isn't a crap skool, so mayb a band 5/6 mite be realistic.....
I'm glad someone does that and has proven its worthy success.

On the other hand I am at a school full of people who aren't too motivated or academically superior, you might find most of your Year 11's do General Maths and Standard English. But anyway I wish to ask you to rephrase the word "crap" as in the kids harass the shit out of you or simply don't perform well.

Anyway I'm glad I'm in English Standard where I can merrily outperform others.

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
yeah do well in std english and prove ur good.
btw, std ppl can beat adv ppl in trials... out top script in section 2 was a standards students.... no adv got 15/15...... so yeah
do well and get well! good luck

P

pLuvia

Standards students at my school get marked differently from our Advanced students, i.e. they mark easier for Standard than Advanced students, but I'm not sure if any other school does this

maplebubbles06

HSC
according to marking guidlines for standard english, every year people relied on recount and narrative in their responses NOT detailed. This causes them to be in band 3 or lower!!! And according to b.o.s statistics, it states that a high number of candidates get in band 3!! but there has been an increase in getting higher bands but still band 3 is the average..

Beege

HSC
I don't story tell. I talk about effects and why the composer used this and that etc.

Hopefully that will be enough to get me a band 4

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Beege said:
I don't story tell. I talk about effects and why the composer used this and that etc.

Dead thread much?

Markers are looking for students who are able to demonstrate perceptive knowledge of the module they're are studying and how composers shape meaning of it through their prescribed text, as well as their ability to portray intertextually through their related texts. In conjunction, with writing in a sustained and logical manner, and of course a strong argument and actually answering the question. If you can do that or willing to learn how to do it, then there's no excuse of why you can't get marks ranging from 17 and up. You have a whole year to do it, so chin up.

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
Beege said:

u will need more than dat...
every year's standard for 'standard english' raises...
just go and read the markers comment...

to demonstrate perceptive knowledge of the module they're are studying and how composers shape meaning of it through their prescribed text, as well as their ability to portray intertextually through their related texts. In conjunction, with writing in a sustained and logical manner, and of course a strong argument and actually answering the question. <=== listen dat ^^

oh yeah.. try your best...
i managed a high band 5... just missed out on a band 6 so... band 5 is realistic to people, as long as you put in the hard work, the hours of memorising essays (IT WORKS!!!!) then u will have a chance of a band 5...

best of luck

Beege

HSC
I thought u were meant to tackle the questions head on?

~Sw33ti3~

HSC
u can... but have more than just 'answer the q' intergrate your answer in with your thesis...

remember... standard isn't as easy as it seems.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Isn't it obvious? The majority of English Standard students suck at English...duh!

Paper 1 is usually where most English Standard students fall because they're up against the stronger candidature of the English Advanced students. Everything's on the same scale for Paper 1, so this paper usually drags most the English Standard students down. That's why only a small few get the top 2 bands because they do comparatively well against the English Advanced students in Paper 1 whereas the rest don't.

Paper 2 is specifically the English Standard modules and usually most cope with them rather well because they are pretty easy. Hence when people say English Standard is easy, it's usually because the Modules are easy...

Also, unlike in the past, nowadays I think there have been more full marks scored in just about every elective.

Last edited:

calcie

HSC
Trebla said:
Isn't it obvious? The majority of English Standard students suck at English...duh!
adzactly, i have no idea how any of the teachers and other students in higher classes can come up with such good answers to questions i wouldnt even know how to start.

it just doesnt mesh with my brain, even reading the markers comments confused me

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
What? I'm hearing that only 1% of the state get Band 6 in Standard English and then one person got a Band 6. So how many people is it that got Band 6?

Never mind that - I'll get a Band 6 :D

Uncle

Banned
HSC
How come noone gets full marks in standard?
Because English Standard contains a lot of dipshits and some are even illiterate.
Too many people memorise essays and don't even understand the text or properly analyse their texts.
If your marks are still below 14/20 for your extended responses by the HSC trials and that trend continues you may say goodbye to Band 5 or 6.

What? I'm hearing that only 1% of the state get Band 6 in Standard English and then one person got a Band 6. So how many people is it that got Band 6?

Never mind that - I'll get a Band 6 :D

Performance Band Descriptors - 2007 HSC - English (Standard) 2 unit (15130) - Board of Studies NSW

2008 HSC English Standard

Band 6
(0.23%)

32334 took the course.

Does it look like only 1 person got Band 6?

EDIT: LOL why does the link or page title say '2007 HSC' when it says '2008' on the page?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
Ah okay, thanks. From the looks of it, around 74 get a Band 6 in Standard. That's alright.

shady145

Banned
HSC
Ah okay, thanks. From the looks of it, around 74 get a Band 6 in Standard. That's alright.
that was only last year
lets look at the trend
2003=1 band 6's
2006~ 7 band 6's
2007~23 band 6's
2008~ 74 band 6's
yep trends... lol
but its fun when u beat other people in ur school in the common paper when they do advanced, ex1,ex2
anyone who thinks that if ur in standard english u can't beat people in adv, EX1 EX2 u can!!! get off ur arse and study lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)