what is workload comparing like in uni to schooll/hsc? (1 Viewer)

piitb

HSC
for me about as easy it is to get around uai of 89

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Depends on the degree and how well you want to go. I would say the workload is just as bad as in year 12 only because it requires a lot of study to get good marks. Although, if you are happy with just passing (psychology, that is) then it is considerably less work than school (but you wont be able to get into the honours/postgrad years of psych with such marks).

Having said that, IMO the postgrad years feels considerably easier and less work than undergrad in some ways (although that only might be because I know my stuff by now so i'm more effcient at doing things? e.g., reports, essays etc).

wendus

krawr.
HSC
lol
i don't think you should be saying thanks..
anyway, i think it would be less stressful and a lot more fun. i mean it's uni! not confining restricting suffocating high school.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Hahahahaha no definitely not thanks.

Depends what course you do at Uni I guess...? I mean if you do Bachelor of Arts it really shouldn't be much work compared to like some uber combined hardcore degree...?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
lol. Workload isn't a good measure of how fun something is though.

Uni is far more fun than school, and although IMO the workload is just as bad, the content is far more interesting (thus more motivation to study), and the environment is much better than school (i've made more friends at uni than I ever did at school).

And also, at uni you in close proximity to a bar, shops, restaurants, (maq centre) so many opportunities to hang out with friends after class and relax. In fact, you will like uni so much you wont want to leave (thus comes to my problem :p).

ascentyx

HSC
I have started uni yet either (2008 HSC) but i can still notice certain things.

Well firstly you need to be self reliant, the amount of work you put in is completely up to you. It isn't like highschool where they practically spoon feed you everything and encourage you to do work earlier etc. Time management will be the hardest thing to adjust to. Lot's of self research time work may need to be required to gain high marks. What i suggest doing is to try really really hard the first semester and see what kind of marks you get. Then judge how hard you have to work from then, taking into account units get progressively harder throughout the course.

Like everyone is saying it is completely dependant on what course you do. Like i'm doing BAppFin with BComAcst and by the looks of it it's going to get very difficult. I don't really care though because i'm willing to try harder as it is something i really want to do, not just random crap subjects i'm practically forced to do to have enough units for the hsc :haha:

dance2urownbeat

Ridiculously Good Looking
HSC
do people ever turn up drunk to lectures/tutes? with the bar in such close proximity? :p

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A

Well firstly you need to be self reliant, the amount of work you put in is completely up to you. It isn't like highschool where they practically spoon feed you everything and encourage you to do work earlier etc. Time management will be the hardest thing to adjust to. Lot's of self research time work may need to be required to gain high marks. What i suggest doing is to try really really hard the first semester and see what kind of marks you get. Then judge how hard you have to work from then, taking into account units get progressively harder throughout the course.
Yep. Having to be self-reliant and self-motivated is definitely one of the greatest differences.

And that is good advice (about working very hard the first semester and see how you go from there). In the first semester you learn how to do essays/reports in a new style so it is beneficial to put a lot of work into your first assessments and get it right the first time - it makes essays/reports afterwards much easier once you get the first one right.

ascentyx

HSC
Yep. Having to be self-reliant and self-motivated is definitely one of the greatest differences.

And that is good advice (about working very hard the first semester and see how you go from there). In the first semester you learn how to do essays/reports in a new style so it is beneficial to put a lot of work into your first assessments and get it right the first time - it makes essays/reports afterwards much easier once you get the first one right.
Yeah. The mentors told me to try and get a GPA ~ 4 in the earlier units because they are the easiest in the course. It's obviously really hard to improve your GPA later on because of the whole average thing and the large sample size.

williamc

HSC
Uni = better atmosphere than high school
workload for business type courses= less than high school
competition for TOP marks= more than high school.

Like everyone is saying it is completely dependant on what course you do. Like i'm doing BAppFin with BComAcst and by the looks of it it's going to get very difficult. I don't really care though because i'm willing to try harder as it is something i really want to do, not just random crap subjects i'm practically forced to do to have enough units for the hsc :haha:
you havn't started uni yet. LOL. thats like me telling a girl how to put makeup on because ive read about it.

Yeah. The mentors told me to try and get a GPA ~ 4 in the earlier units because they are the easiest in the course. It's obviously really hard to improve your GPA later on because of the whole average thing and the large sample size.
courses may be easier, but competition for higher marks is lower. So basically thats a load of shit.

Last edited:

ascentyx

HSC
Uni = better atmosphere than high school
workload for business type courses= less than high school
competition for TOP marks= more than high school.

you havn't started uni yet. LOL. thats like me telling a girl how to put makeup on because ive read about it.
Just because i haven't started uni yet it doesn't mean i can't answer the majority of questions from other peoples past experiences (mentors, friends etc). Especially with the majority of HSC08 questions being like, "Where should i sit in a lecture?" or "Is Uni hard?"

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I guess all we can do is just wait and see for ourselves. It really depends on your course ultimately, but according to a few uni students I know, the focus is more on independent study and that its like 'completing the HSC' in a semester in terms of workload.

Last edited:

williamc

HSC
Just because i haven't started uni yet it doesn't mean i can't answer the majority of questions from other peoples past experiences (mentors, friends etc). Especially with the majority of HSC08 questions being like, "Where should i sit in a lecture?" or "Is Uni hard?"
unreliable/bias information?

don't judge until you've expierenced it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hahahahaha no definitely not thanks.

Depends what course you do at Uni I guess...? I mean if you do Bachelor of Arts it really shouldn't be much work compared to like some uber combined hardcore degree...?
I'm sure that in most situations someone doing a hardcore maths based engineering degree double is going to fail massively in the most basic of Arts courses, and vice versa.

Workload wise, high school is nothing compared to university. You're effectively doing the 2 years of HSC every semester in terms of content.

williamc

HSC
Workload wise, high school is nothing compared to university. You're effectively doing the 2 years of HSC every semester in terms of content.

I disagree asylum, im finding the workload at uni to be less and in smaller blocks than it was for the HSC.

edit: im doing a double degree EFS faculty.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I disagree asylum, im finding the workload at uni to be less and in smaller blocks than it was for the HSC.

*claps*

Do you want a medal? You may be finding the workload easier, but the vast majority of people aren't and statistics in the failure and drop out rates of first years tends to suggest the opposite.

randomguy777

HSC
N/A

well EFS degrees are nothing. only so few contact hours and a bit of homework.

you can work part time and do efs degree.

note that no. of contact hours doesn't necessarily relate to course intensity.

most ppl do comm(acc)/finance and workload is not that much.

and you're doing eco/fin? anyways it depends on the degree.

i've heard people doing combined law stressing out as they read heaps of stuff.

engineering can be quite stressful. to get a top mark for difficult engineering subjects require you to study so much, although maybe inefficiently, you have to put the effort in to get the marks you want.

HSC worload may be a bit more at times, but the stuff is easier to remember and there's no such thing as opps i studied the wrong thing.

at uni you can sometimes study a little and get good marks, but in reality if you compare yourself to someone who got lower marks but reads multiple texts for a subject to gain a deeper contextual understanding, you can find yourself forgetting everything and clueless when you graduate.

beware this is a troll post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)