how do you compare letters to alice and pride aqnd prejudice? (1 Viewer)

katzenjammer

HSC
its pretty easy to compare the values, the themes, whatever, of LTA and P&P. - - - but the problem is, i am finding it impossible to find quotes that fit into the techniques AND the themes. and when i do find a quote, its about a paragraph long and therefore really not the ideal quote to put in an essay that you have to be able to hand-write in 40 minutes.

please please please does anyone have any quotes from Letters to Alice that actually have a theme AND a technique?

sambo92

HSC
ok so..
LTA values i think are mainly the same as PP cos Weldon is just adding into it the modern context as well as critisising some of Austens shit. anyway..

the langues forms have you said the epistolary narrative form which is like letters and Austen created characters that are exagerated which creates a satirical tone which creates dramatic scenes e.g. Mrs Bennett etc.

sambo92

HSC
ok so forgot to write the common themes...
they are:

- marriage
- the 'accomplished woman'
- money and status
- and you could almost put being a home wife in here as well but the other 3 are the main ones

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Where abouts in the book does Weldon mention "money and status". Sorry, the answer to this is probably really obvious but I'm too stressed to find it.

By the way, thanks for the previous post.

sambo92

HSC
no worries..um well i havnt read it but like she talks about the modern age of women like herself who can have jobs and are not expected to marry and can earn themselves a living. so like thats money etc. sorry dont know specific references but thats what my shit english teacher said...

chellison

HSC
What are the shared values in LTA and P&P? And how does the context of each lead to changes of these values. Also, what are the key values that Fay Weldon is trying to convey in LTA?

chellison

HSC
ohh i think we did values...

ok i have values here by my dumb teacher as:
- role of women
- marriage
- legal rights of women
- social class
- money/wealth
ability to make intelligent choices (women)
Looks like my question has already been answered. Does anyone know of any good quotes that could help me compare the values in these two texts?

Courtnie Emma

HSC
we got told to compare the issues and stuff that were pointed out as being important, like that Austen would have experienced, such as morals/morality and manners,
i think one quote from LTA is "...interest in the underlying morality, the real not the religious morality, of the way people talk to each other, love or don't love each other..."

... if that helps any.

it kind of links to the way darcy first proposed in P&P and was rather rude about it...

hope that helps a bit

shaZ-

HSC
can anyone help me on this 'City of Invention' metaphor?
..and please help expand on this point:

"Weldon explores Austen's notion of women achieving their own control of life, although not through marriage, but through education and learning."

i will love you FOREVER..

Last edited:

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Umm, I can't really say much about that point because I skimmed the book. However, there's this quote where Weldon says "Jane had a great deal left over. I guess you could say blablabla.." (I think that quote was from chp1 or 2). That quote praises Austen for being different and defiant of her traditional and predefined role (that is searching for a potential partner). Weldon applauses the ability of a woman to be independent of men and value the accomplishment of women not through their domestic and marital capabilities, but through their literary or occupational successes.

Also, take note of the fact that Weldon is divorced and has a literary career. Perhaps you can integrate that into your response?

Last edited:

shaZ-

HSC
thanks alot =)
that was really helpful !
i've finished my transcript now, i'm glad that it's out of the way.
the question was "Although Pride and Predjudice and Letters to Alice were written in different social contexts, their purposes are the same. To what extent is this true?"
so if anyone need some ideas.. i can post it, although, it's not A grade, obviously lol.
=)

kaylaa1

HSC
N/A
we got told to compare the issues and stuff that were pointed out as being important, like that Austen would have experienced, such as morals/morality and manners,
i think one quote from LTA is "...interest in the underlying morality, the real not the religious morality, of the way people talk to each other, love or don't love each other..."

... if that helps any.

it kind of links to the way darcy first proposed in P&P and was rather rude about it...

hope that helps a bit
OMG COURTNIE EMMA YOU ARE SO CLEVER! THANKS FOR THE QUOTE IT HELPED HEAPS!
YOUR SO AMAZING!
YOU HELP TONS!
YOUR A CHAMP!

*must be all that help from that hardcore friend of yours ;) ey ey ... =)*

amber!

HSC
some links can include:

• what is considered accomplished? in P&P an accomplished woman can play piano, knows art and music etc, contrast to Letters: Fay is a novelist, Alice is at Uni etc
  • the use of letters: compare: P&P the use of letters at the end makes it more personal etc. Letters: well the whole thing is letters so compare the way that writers are using the same methods now as then to get across a point!

Livvy-Jane

HSC
Is it possible to just link PnP to LTA through the way they are written ie epistolary narrative. like as if they use the same method to explain about different things??

in the essay am i able to say have one para on linking values than another on linking language forms and features, than another on linking ideas between them?? as long as they all 'shape and reshape my understanding of boths texts by reading the other??? please help

rachelm

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to just link PnP to LTA through the way they are written ie epistolary narrative. like as if they use the same method to explain about different things??

in the essay am i able to say have one para on linking values than another on linking language forms and features, than another on linking ideas between them?? as long as they all 'shape and reshape my understanding of boths texts by reading the other??? please help

I wouldn't divide the essay into a para on values and one on technique and one on ideas/links. The whole essay is about links. What I think you should do is decide on two or three values (many of them have been listed in this thread and all are useful). You will write about each of these values and how they are presented in each book. So what I mean is the values link the texts! SO if you look how they are presented in each book you are discussing links. While you do this discuss techniques. In the end you will have 4 or 6 paragraphs. I hope that makes sense.

The epistolary novel thing is interesting but you only need to say it once! You can discuss LTA's authorial voice, the presence of the audience (Alice, the general reader), the metaphors, motifs, analogies, the letter to Enid, the blend of fiction and non-fiction. All of these things should come up only once and where they seem most likely to link to a value.

That all sounds complicated - but better than the original plan. :read:

Rockyroad

Banned
HSC
Hey all. Our class was supposed to start this topic of LTA and PAP last term but we didnt - so we'll start it next week when school resumes. Does this mean we are behind? I've read PAP twice and have almost finished LTA. I want to know whether most people like LTA or not. I get the idea that its purpose was to persuade Alice to appreciate Jane Austen's work.
Like Alice, I am not sure if I really like Austen's books or understand their novelty or importance and I was expecting to be persuaded by LTA that Austen is really good. But I am finding it kind of boring, tedious and long winded and I haven't been persuaded at all. I think I would prefer to read Austen than LTA. I don't like the way LTA is written.
What do you all think?

six demon bag

HSC
Or essay question:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged that composers, whatveer their wider purpose, present us with a sense of their values and an appreciation of the context in which their work was undertaken."
Would you endorse this view after your study of Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice?
In your answer you should ensure that you make detailed reference to both texts.

That's one part of a three part assessment.
I haven't read either of the books and it's due in two days.
woo.

McBean88

HSC
man its so unfortunate that were stuck with LTA =[...my teacher reckons the BOS are gonna change it to 'Lost in Austen' some time in d future...
now dats a text that REALLY reshapes ur understanding of P&P and vise-versa. it fits in so well with the module dat u can practically writing a whole book on the connections between them. and unlike LTA, they RESHAPE EACH OTHER...well LTA does too, but it practically STATES theconnections between them and i think what most people are struggling with is comming up with their own, unique interpretation and finding SUBTLE links between text. i don't fink that was Weldon's intention though. i was doing some research and most people described the book as being a collection of ESSAYS written in letter form...but essay are SUPPOSED to state, not infer things. "Lost in Austen" is much more flexible and interesting and its got techniques, techniques, techniques... =/ ..so much to talk about...
i guess to do well in this essay we're gonna have to rely on structure and quotes cause, considering what we have to work with, the contents are gonna be similar...
...so..un...fair...=[[ .
thoughts anyone?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)