Should boat people be granted immigration status? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Based on my current level of understanding I think no, what do you guys think?

Australia should learn the lesson from Europe, indiscriminately accepting unskilled refugees as legal immigrants will have disastrous social and economic impact, plus unwanted and annoying criticism from some overseas human rights activists. See e.g. rioting in France.

Not to mention that there're dozens of different countries above Australia geographically, why on the earth Australia is one of the few destinations? That definitely is in excess of the need of those who just want to avoid being persecuted, killed or starved

what do you guys think?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
until they set up more accessible, comprehensive and humane channels to 'legitimately' immigrate, yes i think they should.

C

copkiller

Abolish all welfare and then have complete open borders.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Wouldnt work with current government model. I believe no they shouldn't. There is quite a long line of immigrant willing to be patient and wait like everyone else. Shit it's just like a kid who jumps the line at a canteen.
and what about the people living in war torn countries (wars that we contribute to) who have no access the 'line'?

if we as a country are a contributing factor to these peoples need to immigrate shouldn't we do all we can to help?

C

copkiller

Wouldnt work with current government model. I believe no they shouldn't. There is quite a long line of immigrant willing to be patient and wait like everyone else. Shit it's just like a kid who jumps the line at a canteen.
There shouldn't be a line at all, we should welcome anyone who wants to come here and support themselves.

C

copkiller

We don't exactly have unlimited resources mate. The line is more for political reasons anyway. Shit how are you going to tax someone you are unaware is in the country?
Well we shouldn't tax anyone. But even if we do, we can tax them through the PAYG system like anyone else. If you let people come here legally and tell the government they are here it is actually easier to tax them. When you make it illegal, you give people an incentive to hire illegal immigrants but not report it.

Also, without welfare, they have no incentive to come here unless they want to work and pay for the resources they consume themselves.

C

copkiller

'sif many of them would be able to support themselves though.
Why not? Without the minimum wage they could easily find work. Sure it would be low paid at first, but they would still be much better off than where they came from.

C

copkiller

Of course we shouldnt tax anyone, no one likes getting taxed. But without the tax system, most of your comforts you take for granted would not be around. You'll be dumping your rubbish everywhere, making it a fucking slum, instead of paying a small tax contribution to have it all taken away. You'll have no new roads, no highways, no expressways, no public works, no sewerage systems. Shit not to mention water.

Taxes are the small price we pay to live in a world relatively free of slums and anarchy.
Yeah man, 40% of your income, plus 10% GST on everything you buy is such as small price.

And we could never pay fees to private companies to build highways or to have our rubbish collected. Why that would be utterly impossible.

Tangent

HSC
I think boat people should be granted immigration status. This doesnt mean we let them come in of there own accord, and avoid taxes and stuff, but have them recorded and accepted into aust.. This means we do not intercept them off our coast and chuck them on an isalnd somewhere

As an immigrant, you have to be self sufficient until you are granted citizenship (no gov payouts). There are agencies there to help with intergration into aust. society, and depending on where they are from, also a support group of the same nationality somewhere in aust.

Sprangler

HSC
and what about the people living in war torn countries (wars that we contribute to) who have no access the 'line'?

if we as a country are a contributing factor to these peoples need to immigrate shouldn't we do all we can to help?
The war in Afghanistan would still be happening and the refugees would still be coming here regardless of Australian troop participation. By accepting refugees, who in time get word to their friends/family back home it creates a larger market for people smugglers who see Australia as a soft target.

I think they should be forced to stay on Christmas Island where they can be adequately prepared to live in Australia with no major problems - learn English, see what job skills they have, etc. Mainly because of the security risk, there needs to be tight restrictions.

Last edited:

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
The war in Afghanistan would still be happening and the refugees would still be coming here regardless of Australian troop participation. By accepting refugees, who in time get word to their friends/family back home it creates a larger market for people smugglers who see Australia as a soft target.

I think they should be forced to stay on Christmas Island where they can be adequately prepared to live in Australia with no major problems - learn English, see what job skills they have, etc. Mainly because of the security risk, there needs to be tight restrictions.
good idea! we punish the desperate people who would give anything to have a life and work hard in Australia for the disgusting actions of the peoples smugglers!

Sprangler

HSC
good idea! we punish the desperate people who would give anything to have a life and work hard in Australia for the disgusting actions of the peoples smugglers!
Helping them become adequately prepared to become productive citizens who can fit in instead of outcast minorities is punishment?

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Ashie quit being a sandy vagina. It's a good point for security, learning english, basic skills and pretty much just weeding out undesirables.
being locked up on some stupid island and treated as a criminal is not a good way to learn basic skills or english. thats ridiculous.
@sprangler YES i consider the throwing of innocent people in a jail like set up punishment.

anyone with your attitude is undesirable. you keep bringing up violence and gangs and not being able to walk through certain parts of the city at night because of ethnic groups but all your opinions are doing is inciting hate bro.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Yeah because just throwing them into society is just such a better way to learn english. Especially with no job, home or income. Shit let them spend a few months learning basic english enough to get on. Alot of them actually need alot of psych work too. The whole point of an island is it's a controlled environment away from all this.

My opinion that they should be directed to these processing islands is hateful? Shit it's for their own good. Yeah man let's just let them be bombarded with how different our society is to theirs.
i love it how people in australia bang on about learning english when compared to other countries, a tiny population of australians are bi-lingual.

most refugees will have some basic grasp of english, a majority of people from non english speaking countries speak or are learning english and yes, being thrown into an english speaking society is probably the best way to learn english.

these people are not retarded, they do not need a controlled environment, most refugees have been living in war zones or refugee camps, they are perfectly capable of integrating into a society. there are several services to help people in australia attain jobs, accommodation etc.

refugees have done nothing wrong, they don't need to be patronized and treated like criminals.

Sprangler

HSC
being locked up on some stupid island and treated as a criminal is not a good way to learn basic skills or english. thats ridiculous.
@sprangler YES i consider the throwing of innocent people in a jail like set up punishment.
Lol - look at a map, the island is a prison in itself. Processing the refugees on an island like Christmas/Nauru/Manus can be used to help them integrate before they get here.

i love it how people in australia bang on about learning english when compared to other countries, a tiny population of australians are bi-lingual.

most refugees will have some basic grasp of english, a majority of people from non english speaking countries speak or are learning english and yes, being thrown into an english speaking society is probably the best way to learn english.
You keep talking as if you know every single refugee personally along with their life story, you know the number of refugees who know English how? Learning the official language is only one part of integration.
Oh and for Australians, learning another language isn't a top priority as the standard of living here is fine, we don't need to be escaping to other countries.

these people are not retarded, they do not need a controlled environment, most refugees have been living in war zones or refugee camps, they are perfectly capable of integrating into a society. there are several services to help people in australia attain jobs, accommodation etc.
Living in a war zone and/or refugee camp makes it easier to integrate into a society? Wat? I say that would make it harder. Of course there are services and organizations to help refugees which they can choose to use if they want, but it would be much more effective to do it outside of Australia, on their "prison" island where they don't have a choice.

refugees have done nothing wrong, they don't need to be patronized and treated like criminals.
What the fuck are you talking about?

Last edited:

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Lol - look at a map, the island is a prison in itself. Processing the refugees on an island like Christmas/Nauru/Manus can be used to help them integrate before they get here.

You keep talking as if you know every single refugee personally along with their life story, you know the number of refugees who know English how? Learning the official language is only one part of integration.
Oh and for Australians, learning another language isn't a top priority as the standard of living here is fine, we don't need to be escaping to other countries.

Living in a war zone and/or refugee camp makes it easier to integrate into a society? Wat? I say that would make it harder. Of course there are services and organizations to help refugees, but it would be much more effective to do it outside of Australia, on their "prison" island where they don't have a choice.
because the english language is the most popular second language on earth. for example its something like 95% of Afghan citizens are bi/tri-lingual. you obviously don't learn a language, the quickest way to learn a language is to be immersed in it

what i meant was these people arent clueless, they don't need to be patronized, they are perfectly capable human beings who have survived adverse conditions. i see no reason why it would be more effective to lock them up. its cruel, they are not criminals and do not deserve to be treated like one.

What the fuck are you talking about?
as it stands, when refugees arrive by boat they are locked up on a frigging island, IE treated like criminals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)