• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Catholic Church and HIV/AIDS in Africa. (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I personally feel confused by people relating this account to the use of condoms. It seems he avoided inseminating the woman by utilising the 'withdrawal' method, which I've heard actually advocated by Catholics.
The correct terminology is Vatican roulette, thankyou

HSC
why western nations lol they are actually doing something about the issue

maybe africa as a whole should be condemned for being so backwards
Imo, Western nations are not doing ENOUGH about the issue...sure, they're doing something, which is a lot better than nothing...but I think they could be doing more.

As for condemning Africa, how on Earth would that help? Even if it was their fault (which it's not).

HSC
Ah I love the Church on this issue

If they were to say anything different, we're talking srs schism territory. The Pope would excommunicate himself if he approved contraceptives
Hmm. Yes. God forbid the Catholic Church should move with the times in terms of doctrine. It definitely wouldn't want to go down the path of the Uniting Church or the Anglicans. After all, the Dark Ages were SO great...

Seriously, no wonder the Catholic Church is rapidly losing numbers in Western nations.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Ah I love the Church on this issue

If they were to say anything different, we're talking srs schism territory. The Pope would excommunicate himself if he approved contraceptives

This is NOT a matter of approving contraceptives.

The Pope actively spreads misinformation about condoms, which is fucking sickening.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sigh, latch on to a petty misinterpretation all you like Sylvester

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Cant be a sinner if you dont believe in sins.

HSC
AIDS denial is costing many, many lives in the countries where it's most rampant...and Catholic groups are not the only groups responsible.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
^But we're not exactly a governmental organisation that only seeks utilitarian benifit. We stand for absolute truth and that alone, whether it entail inconvenience or suffering or even death of believers. We are charged with this task by Christ Himself.

TheStallion

HSC
I assume by 'we' you mean the church. If so - what're you trying to say? That the church will trade death of believers/anyone for the truth? What has truth got to do with anything anyway?

Try clarify what you're saying.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Truth is what it's all about, fellow blue mountyan. Absolute Truth! Meaning without Contention! Perfect, Unblemished, Untainted reality about Life, the UNiverse and AAAeeeverything! The Truth that we all seek and crave!
Christ Jesus Our Lord!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
We cannot and will not stop promoting truth. But 'abstinence' is not exactly 'promoted' by the church anyway. Rather, sexual desires should only be exercised between a man and a woman after a marriage which will be for life
cf ongada boongada orgies

Lukybear

HSC
I assume by 'we' you mean the church. If so - what're you trying to say? That the church will trade death of believers/anyone for the truth? What has truth got to do with anything anyway?
The truth would be worth promoting. Wouldnt it?

First of all, lets confirm here, that the Catholic Church promotes abstenience, and sex inside marriage without protection. If this is what the local priests are promoting, then no responsibility for the AIDS epidemic in Africa should be accounted by the Catholic Church.

Lets examine this further. The African populous can be viewed as two groups of people. Those who obey the churches commandments and people who do not, (matters not of religion). For people who do obey the church, it would represent abstenience, meaning decreased HIV/AIDS transferrence. In this case, it does not spread, but rather stops the epidemic of AIDS.

In case two where people do not obey the church. Then abstenience is going to be defyed. In this case, it stands not against reason that protection should be used, if abstenience is defyed. If one "commandment" is disobeyed, why obey the other one.If people cannot upkeep their sexual desires, then why blame the church. And this is the state in Africa. No matter how I disagree with Catholicism's sexual policy inside marriage.

What it comes down to is the lack of education. The requirement of protection for casual sex, in order to stop the spread of AIDS needs to be affirmed by its goverment/other groups. It is not up to the Church to do it. They are merely for the propagation of theology.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
We cannot and will not stop promoting truth. But 'abstinence' is not exactly 'promoted' by the church anyway. Rather, sexual desires should only be exercised between a man and a woman after a marriage which will be for life
cf ongada boongada orgies
With that, you'll need a complete overhaul of society and changes in human nature. It may sound terrific on paper (which I agree with), but it is quite improbable that every person will abstain before marriage.

Which leads into my two cents on the topic. Abstinence is only one brick in building a future without AIDS. Education is the concrete foundation required. That, and an ub3r 1337 vaccine wouldn't hurt either!

The catholic church is doing their best to help solve the problem. However, HIV is extremely deadly and I'd say the only way of curing it is a miracle :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What it comes down to is the lack of education. The requirement of protection for casual sex, in order to stop the spread of AIDS needs to be affirmed by its goverment/other groups. It is not up to the Church to do it. They are merely for the propagation of theology.
So rape comes down to a lack of education does it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)