• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why are atheists on this website always attacking Christianity? (2 Viewers)

Napstar

Banned
HSC
Well aware of this kt.
I'm not saying she's obliged to do so.
I'm just saying that both partners in the marriage should be aiming at the other's happiness, rather than just their own.
i think this is a terribly simplistic view of marriage

but totally off topic so i wont pursue it

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
A wife may reward her husband with sex but that's not the same as doing it when she doesn't want to. But yeah, off topic. Let us just agree spousal rape has no place in Australia.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
i think this is a terribly simplistic view of marriage

but totally off topic so i wont pursue it
lol.
Yeah, when it comes to marriage, I'm a little conservative.
Consider me Iron Lite.
Except supporting gay marriage.

mazarati

HSC
No. but because I'm a Muslim, I don't pick or choose ideas, just because they conform to Western standards.

Besides, men beating up women is extremely common. Domestic violence, whether physical, verbal or financial occurs in almost every household. we hear about it in the media all the time.
I should have phrased this better.

what I'm saying is, that because I'm a Muslim, I believe in the whole of the Quran, and if such a statement is written there, then I have to believe in it too.

However, being a person who was born and raised in a Western country, in a Western paradigm, of course I am not ok with such a thing. I have been stating the arguments for why this is acceptable in Islam.

the great thing about Islam is that it is flexible. While men may have that right, women have the right to lay conditions on their marriage contract.

So myself personally, I'd put a clause in the marriage contract along the lines of
"if the aforementioned dared to lay a finger on me with intent of violence, i demand an immediate divorce."

or something like that.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
I should have phrased this better.

what I'm saying is, that because I'm a Muslim, I believe in the whole of the Quran, and if such a statement is written there, then I have to believe in it too.

However, being a person who was born and raised in a Western country, in a Western paradigm, of course I am not ok with such a thing. I have been stating the arguments for why this is acceptable in Islam.

the great thing about Islam is that it is flexible. While men may have that right, women have the right to lay conditions on their marriage contract.

So myself personally, I'd put a clause in the marriage contract along the lines of
"if the aforementioned dared to lay a finger on me with intent of violence, i demand an immediate divorce."

or something like that.

now do you see why muslam is not compatible with modern democratic society?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
yeah heaps of Islamic countries show how women can be treated fairly hey?

So what you're saying is you believe in something that is completely fucked up simply because it is in an old book?

mazarati

HSC
yeah heaps of Islamic countries show how women can be treated fairly hey?

So what you're saying is you believe in something that is completely fucked up simply because it is in an old book?
i won't get into an argument about the Islamic countries, the way men treat women there couldn't be further from Islam.

the Quran is not fucked up to me. you ever read it?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Do you not read what you say? You have said you don't agree with spousal rape because of your bringing up in a western society but believe in it because it's in the Quran.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You think it's okay that men have the right to beat up their wives.

Get out of my country.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
i won't get into an argument about the Islamic countries, the way men treat women there couldn't be further from Islam.

the Quran is not fucked up to me. you ever read it?
You don't find the story of Muhammad and Aisha disturbing or fucked-up at all?

runoutofsleep

AUTISM IS NOT HOLLAND
HSC
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. - Einstein
l
o
l

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
lol. I was born here. My mother was born here. My grandmother was born here. You going to revoke my Australian citizenship? xD
Yep, because you clearly believe that violence against women is okay because it was in a fucked-up holy book.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I always laugh when people are like "It's not Islam that is messed up re: women's rights it is those countries blah blah." Okay, then you agree that arabs are uncivilised terrorists.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Weak minds?

I BELIEVE IT BECAUSE IT IS WRITTEN IN A 1500 YEAR OLD BOOK!
DONT JUDGE ME

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds. - Einstein

I'm sorry, but I loathe to degenerate into meaningless personal attacks.
Believing beating up women is okay = great spirit

Not believing beating up women is okay = weak minds

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense to me too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)