Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

La Bomba

HSC
no. using two related texts is technically giving the people who wrote that an unfair advantage, hence that will keep them out of the A-range seeing as they didnt answer the question. hsc marker told me this. so you are calling a hsc marker and someone who is a deputy principal who told me this an idiot too =). fail.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
You're calling the Office of the Board of Studies who pays your HSC marker/deputy principal an idiot.
The HSC markers don't know what's going to happen, they haven't been briefed yet.

La Bomba

HSC
board of studies hasn't given you a specific answer to your question now have they? They just said the markers will be briefed, the deputy told me what was likely to happen wen hsc markers are briefed

youngminii

Banned
HSC
BOS told me they won't be penalised. Which is obvious considering HSC is positive marking.
This is the cue for me to spurt all sorts of insults at you like "faggot, fuckwit, dumbcunt, idiotfuck" but I can't 'cause I'll get banned again :(

sml

HSC
I read the question wrong aswell, i wrote about two without even realising it said one in capital letters. lol. *bangs head on desk*

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

Copied and pasted from the other thread since that's just ridiculously long and nobody probably reads it anymore. This topic still seems to be relevant as the other thread somehow got 20+ pages.

Okay I just called up the Board of Studies (unhelpful son of a bitches)
To be honest, the guy was pretty patient since I kept asking virtually the same question over and over.
This is how it went:
Me: So how is section 3 going to be marked for the people that wrote 2 related texts?
Dude: The marking centre will be briefed on the situation and the papers will be marked accordingly.
Me: ..What? So what does that actually mean?
Dude: Well this matter is up to the marking centre, but what I can say is that you won't be directly penalised for using 2 related texts (goes on to explain positive marking). The responses will be marked according to their quality.
Me: Okay so people that used 2 won't be penalised, but are they still going to be marked normally? (Do you see what I mean by me asking the same question over and over)
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two. Then depending on the quality of the response, they will mark the responses accordingly.
Me: ..Wait so if it's all the same marking as always, isn't that unfair for people that wrote one related?
Dude: Did you write two or one?
Me: One.
Dude: Okay, in that case your response will be much more in depth then people with one related text and that will be taken into consideration when being marked.
Me: Riiiiight..
Dude: Would you like to speak to someone else?
Me: Nokthxbai

TL;DR they're going to have a 'formal briefing' with the markers as to how to handle the situation (we don't know what's going to be said at the briefing). Both related texts will be read and taken into consideration. Since the question only requires one related text, generally speaking people that used one will have better quality/greater in-depth responses (due to the amount you can write in 40 minutes) and hence, will be marked higher than people that wrote about two (because you're giving less quality and unnecessary quantity). So if you wrote two but you wrote really damn good then it will get 15/15, it's just harder because people that wrote one have more analysis on each text.

TL;DR you won't be penalised directly, only in that your responses may be weaker in quality than people that wrote one related text

TL;DR relax

Cold Fussion

HSC
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

I have to ask, if the questions asks specifically for ONE in capital letters, why on earth would you write about two? Comprehension in my opinion plays quite a large role in english so i think people who are unable to interpret one properly should be marked down.

gurmies

Drover
HSC
BOS told me they won't be penalised. Which is obvious considering HSC is positive marking.
This is the cue for me to spurt all sorts of insults at you like "faggot, fuckwit, dumbcunt, idiotfuck" but I can't 'cause I'll get banned again :(
Lol, there's never a cue for such obscenities :p

youngminii

Banned
HSC

Ye like in maths if the question asks specifically for ONE decimal place and you use two, then you lose a mark.
Oh well, HSC English is part of life, and life sucks.

La Bomba

HSC
mannnn yu a stooge lmao. i am beginning to think you are one of the people who actualy did write two texts and you are in denial. plus mata bos does positive marking, but not when the question has totaly been answered wrong by using two texts instead of one.

chuboy

HSC
It's the consensus that the first related text that appears in your essay will be the one marked.

.. unless BoS choose the unfair option and mark the better one.
TBH it shouldn't matter, regardless which one they determine to be the 'related text', everything else you wrote (except about the set text obv) gets counted as waffle which will bring your marks down for not being concise anyway.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I don't understand. I posted what the BoS said and this thread still gets replies like chuboy's
Also, I love you de keizer <3

Scinery

HSC

ye like in maths if the question asks specifically for one decimal place and you use two, then you lose a mark.
Oh well, hsc english is part of life, and life sucks.
+1

La Bomba

HSC
TBH it shouldn't matter, regardless which one they determine to be the 'related text', everything else you wrote (except about the set text obv) gets counted as waffle which will bring your marks down for not being concise anyway.
good now pingi can apologise for caling me those names and realise i was right haaha.

Cold Fussion

HSC
I was so angry about that question. Our whole year we'd been doing practice essays on two - no one even told us that they may not ask us to use the two. No one in our english class even picked up on it until a girl looked at the exam paper after the test. Why the fuck would they do that? That's not testing to see who's put in more effort, that's just fucking students over for being prepared. If I lose marks significantly, I'll be a sad, angry panda.
English is a READING and writing subject. They gave you a simple straight forward question and you fail to properly read it. If you can study english for 2 years and are still unable to read the questions then you deserve to penalised. This isn't penalising people who over prepared, its penalising students who are simply not good at comprehension.

La Bomba

HSC
fck sum ppl hav no common sense. writing a page of irrelevant info will bring your marks down.

darkshine

HSC
fuck the board of studies... honestly. fuck them.
actually, don't really care. music for life. :)

Last edited:

chuboy

HSC
I don't understand. I posted what the BoS said and this thread still gets replies like chuboy's
Also, I love you de keizer <3
Because the BOS has quite clearly been overwhelmed by people who all fucked up, they will just satiate them by saying 'your whole essay will be marked', ie. dont go and kill yourself.

When they sit down to mark, they will probs brief and say 'just mark the whole essay as if they answered the question as written'. So you will be marked as though you put in a whole page of unnecessary waffle - not a concise essay, not a band 6 response

sorry but if you cant read the question you shouldnt deserve one anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)