Anyone getting their exam(s) rechecked? (1 Viewer)

DanQ1991

HSC
What's the point of it anyway? Has it ever worked for anyone where they actually change their marks?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Worked for a friend in music....where his external mark was like 10 marks below his internal, where they did a miscount or something. But if you're looking for one or two extra marks, it's really not what the system is designed for. In fact, noone actually 'remarks' your work. They just check all papers have been marked and that the marks are totalled correctly.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'd definitely do it if not for how much it costs. Just out of interest Aerath: do you know if your friend got his recheck fee refunded?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Has it ever worked for anyone where they actually change their marks?
There are an average of 1860 rechecks a year and in past years there has been between 5 and 28 changes made.

For example:

Rechecks: 1784
Changes: 5 (0.28%)

Rechecks: 1825
Changes: 14 (0.77%)

Rechecks: 1712
Changes: 27 (1.58%)

Rechecks: 2257
Changes: 27 (1.20%)

Devouree

Good names already taken.
HSC
I'd definitely do it if not for how much it costs. Just out of interest Aerath: do you know if your friend got his recheck fee refunded?
He should have, it's stated that way in the BOS guidelines (dunno exactly where though, soz). If they don't find an error though... there goes a chunk of money :p

terminator69

HSC
In fact, noone actually 'remarks' your work. They just check all papers have been marked and that the marks are totalled correctly.
I wonder why English is almost double the cost of any other papers (at $27) if all they are going to do is re-add 6 numbers together (no. of exam sections).

ajdlinux

HSC
I believe they need to manually retrieve the marking sheets and verify that they were what was finally entered into the computer. English probably costs more due to the two papers, or something like that.

spazamataz

HSC
Im thinking of getting a recheck for business, because i seriously thought that i did much better in that exam than what mark i got. Its only $14, i wouldn't go getting every subject done though.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I wonder why English is almost double the cost of any other papers (at $27) if all they are going to do is re-add 6 numbers together (no. of exam sections).
Becos its two separate exams, double the cost to check it. Every answer book is stored in a different area.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Becos its two separate exams, double the cost to check it. Every answer book is stored in a different area.
Not only two separate exams but multiple exam centres as well resulting in multiple clerical teams and thus all the storage being different.

They don't actually need the exam booklets. All they need are the mark sheets, which, by the end of marking, have been removed from the bundles of scripts and stored together with the rest from that centre on that question.

If you are at a school with a large number of students the groups are broken up into bundles of 20 students so a school with 100 students will have up to 5 different markers for a question with another 5 (although some could get a different bundle from the same centre) doing the second mark. After all the marking has been done and the marks are being entered they tend to put all the sheets from one school together to enter them so the mark sheets are removed from the actual booklets.

Abbiesaurus

HSC
Can you actually lose marks?
And if you get extra marks does that mean that your atar is re-calculated?

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
They don't actually need the exam booklets. All they need are the mark sheets, which, by the end of marking, have been removed from the bundles of scripts and stored together with the rest from that centre on that question.
They do need the answer booklets. Part of the clerical recheck process is that any question scored as a non-attempt actually contained no attempt. This requires a visual inspection of the student's booklets.

philphie

Banned
HSC
i'm very sure (of course in the real world this means nothing) my internal marks were wrong for two very high scaling subjects and Music 1. i thought about saying something, but then i was liek fuck it, what's done is done, your atar was good enough so just forget it, nothing would have happened anyway.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
They do need the answer booklets. Part of the clerical recheck process is that any question scored as a non-attempt actually contained no attempt. This requires a visual inspection of the student's booklets.
cem's a teacher, and a HSC marker. Think she might know a bit more about this than you do. :)

ajdlinux

HSC
cem's a teacher, and a HSC marker. Think she might know a bit more about this than you do. :)
Well, HSC markers aren't directly involved in clerical rechecks I presume, and BOSBOY knows far, far too much about everything BOS-related... it makes sense that they would check the answer booklets to confirm if there was a non-attempt, just to make sure the papers were distributed correctly.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well, HSC markers aren't directly involved in clerical rechecks I presume, and BOSBOY knows far, far too much about everything BOS-related... it makes sense that they would check the answer booklets to confirm if there was a non-attempt, just to make sure the papers were distributed correctly.
BOSBOY may be correct on this but I do know that when I have marked all NAs are checked by the clerical staff at the time to ensure that the booklet is correctly marked as a Non Attempt - this happens at a number of times - at the centre where you sat the exam, when the booklets reach the marking centre, during the marking process where a marker finds a booklet without Non Attempt written on the outside but a non attempt on the inside (particularly in multi-part questions where Part a is attempted but Part b isn't) and again, for my subject, when the sheets are returned to the clerical staff - so whether another check is done for a recheck I don't know.

I also know that by the end of the process the sheets and the booklets are in separate boxes and everything will now be stored somewhere, not at the marking centres anymore of course.

jj.oc

HSC
I'm gonna get the exam for the subject that didn't count towards my atar rechecked so iv got nuthin to loose

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Oh dear, fools rush in ...

"Clerical recheck
HSC students can apply to the Board for a recheck of clerical procedures. This confirms that all marks have been correctly entered onto the computer file and that any question scored as a non-attempt actually contained no attempt."

Step 9 – Finally: your results - Board of Studies NSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)