thinking of appealing, would like opinions please (1 Viewer)

big_jezza

HSC
my HSC marks are listed below this post in my signature, in the calculation of my atar they used

english - 2 units
chemistry - 2 units
physics - 2 units
music - 1 unit
maths - 2 units
religion - 1 unit

do you think its worth getting this re checked and/or finding out why they didnt use 2 units of music, considering its my second best subject. im like 4 points short of my required ATAR and am ltrying everything i can to get as close as possible.</SPAN>

HSC
Different subjects recieve different scaled marks, Music 1's scaled marks must have be bad

bubbrubb

HSC
music is scaled terribly. given that it is barely a band 5 - its even worse.

there is no point in appeal - no mistake was made. you just have to understand scaling a bit better.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
There's no point appealing - in fact, I don't believe you can appeal ATARs. In any case, it's simply a matter of scaling - your SoR mark probably scaled better than your Music mark.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
my HSC marks are listed below this post in my signature, in the calculation of my atar they used

english - 2 units
chemistry - 2 units
physics - 2 units
music - 1 unit
maths - 2 units
religion - 1 unit

do you think its worth getting this re checked and/or finding out why they didnt use 2 units of music, considering its my second best subject. im like 4 points short of my required ATAR and am ltrying everything i can to get as close as possible.</SPAN>
The simple reason they didn't use 2 units of Music was that if they did, due to scaling, your ATAR would have been lower than it is now. UAC are very particular about using the best 8 units after 2 units of English to give you the best ATAR possible which means sometimes they don't use the subject that gets the best mark but always use the ones that scale best for you. Unfortunately Music scales badly unless you are excellent.

If you think a re-check is warranted then go for it but there are very few successful re-check annually as the process is very careful about getting it right before the marks go out.

H S C

HSC
Didn't know it scaled that poorly.

Last edited:

oly1991

HSC
Yeah i'm considering appealing aswell. I obtained a result of 92 in Mathematics Advanced, but i seriously believe i did better, considering how many people thought they did shit and got band 6's. One of my mates thought he got around 90/120 and he got 91 for his mark. I reckon i got around 103-105/120 (and this is taking into account possible mistakes). Does anyone think I should appeal?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah i'm considering appealing aswell. I obtained a result of 92 in Mathematics Advanced, but i seriously believe i did better, considering how many people thought they did shit and got band 6's. One of my mates thought he got around 90/120 and he got 91 for his mark. I reckon i got around 103-105/120 (and this is taking into account possible mistakes). Does anyone think I should appeal?
Maybe you made a lot more mistakes than you thought you made?

Dx_God

HSC
Yeh probabaly.

Ahh well, got into my course. I'll just let it go.
i know what u're feeling... felt the same when i received 93 for math ex2 when i'm pretty sure i should of got somewhere in the 97 region (expecting 108/120). o well, as long as u get into the course u want to do, the marks don't matter. letting it go is probably the best option here since u have to pay $14 for a 1.something% increase in ur mark. Even if u got full marks, ur atar is only going to get raised by something like 0.5-0.8 of an atar. once u graduate from uni, no one is going to ask for ur atar anyways, so no point at all (unless u like wasting money).

laila09

HSC
Unfortunately no. There is no point in appealing your ATAR. :(

The only possible solution in doing this is to get a lower ATAR then what you have been given.
Music scales much lower then your other subjects and although you have achieved a reasonably good mark if it were to be put in your ATAR it would drop it dramatically.
Also unfortunately because you scored under a mark of 71 in standard english your ATAR was scaled poorly.
If you had have made it to 75 or over you would have been scaled the same as advanced and you would have had a much higher ATAR. Because of being under this your ATAR dropped dramatically.
So here is my advice;
If you think you may have been done better then what you got in the english exam ( I know you are not saying this but I think this is your best shot to gain extras) get your paper re-checked. This way you may achieve a 75 and drastically improve in scaling.
However I realise how unlikely it is that you will obtain extra marks ( as this is very rare) so here is what I think you should do.

Look into flexible entry schemes.
I'm not sure what ATAR you actually recieved but if you are 5 marks under the ATAR cut off at Sydney University you may apply and still have a very good chance of getting in. They will look at your marks and then depending on avaliability of places accept or decline you. So that is one way of getting in.

UWS also has flexible entry schemes and will give you upto 10 points extra for good performance!! So that is worth a look into.

UTS, UNSW, UNCLE, UNE etc also offer flexible entry so this may be worth a look...

You may also gain extra points for going to your local uni. Many Universities give extra points if you attend it as a local. So check this out too.

You could also study one full year at uni, get good marks and transfer into the one of your preference.

I hope I have helped you in some way with these alternatives as I don't think you will find great success in appealing your ATAR and wish you the best of luck with entry.
:eek:

jet

Banned
HSC
A mark of 81 is the 50th percentile in Music 1. You got 80, which puts you slightly lower than that.
81/100 scales to 43.4/100 for ATAR calculations. Bad luck there mate.

jj.oc

HSC
i know what u're feeling... felt the same when i received 93 for math ex2 when i'm pretty sure i should of got somewhere in the 97 region (expecting 108/120). o well, as long as u get into the course u want to do, the marks don't matter. letting it go is probably the best option here since u have to pay $14 for a 1.something% increase in ur mark. Even if u got full marks, ur atar is only going to get raised by something like 0.5-0.8 of an atar. once u graduate from uni, no one is going to ask for ur atar anyways, so no point at all (unless u like wasting money).
yes I expected to get 105-110/120 accounting for mistakes in ex 2, and that was from looking at online solutions (and I marked my self pretty harshly) and I also got 93. i don't think it scaled as well this year (but obvs it scaled well in the calculations of the atar)

as for the guy thinking about appealing his atar: if u really want music to be included then u will get a lower atar as they choose the best 10 units when the calculate it

Eddykungfu

HSC
Different subjects recieve different scaled marks, Music 1's scaled marks must have be bad
I checked this calculator.. Music 1 didn't scale down for me.. weird.. everyone told me it scaled like 10 below the mark...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)