Difference between asian imports and Australian born asians (1 Viewer)

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Except for the fact that people genuinely distrust them for their separate language and accent.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Hm my mum speaks cantonese and her family in malaysia called it taro over there. I call it yam at home. She doesn't speak malay but she also speaks tamil and a bit of hindi.
Highly unlikely. Also it is unimaginable anyone from M'sia lat 20 to 30 years cannot speak some Malay but can even speak some Hindi unless she has a Hindi heritage.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
I should stop making threads that are slightly offensive..

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
Highly unlikely. Also it is unimaginable anyone from M'sia lat 20 to 30 years cannot speak some Malay but can even speak some Hindi unless she has a Hindi heritage.
Dude I just told you my mum is 3/4 indian.

The relatives over there that called it taro also work overseas from time to time. My mum was british educated before the malay reforms. She has lived here for about 20 years and has either forgotten or ignored any malay she knows because she hates them. She was taught english.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Dude I just told you my mum is 3/4 indian.

The relatives over there that called it taro also work overseas from time to time. My mum was british educated before the malay reforms. She has lived here for about 20 years and has either forgotten or ignored any malay she knows because she hates them. She was taught english.
OK. That makes sense then. Thank you Jaundice for having the patience to clarify it to me.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
imo the way they dress and the way they stand gives it away pretty easily

Bendent

HSC
Good point.

I understand that it's hard when overseas students hang in their own group and stuff, and i'm not saying its our duty to outreach or try to break in their circle - it's just we have to be aware that we're not discriminating them because of their culture or background, but rather their actions. Hence if they're willing to be friends, why not say hi and be nice just as you would to anyone else rather than turning away because they're 'fobs' and have an accent?

So the mindset should be 'we dislike people who stay in their groups, be rude and ignore others' rather than 'we hate fobs and are going to turn around once we hear an accent'.
yeah but if you don't like a certain group you wouldnt care about whether they ignore you or not since you don't really care about the actions of those you don't like.

look is hard to tell or even accents regarding some australian asians maybe young people are easier to tell

fobs in australia is just like in canada lol

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
some of my best friends at uni are int. students. they're alright :). plus i find cultural differences amusing.

ZAvenger

HSC
Well the only real issue I've ever had with international students, is that a vast majority of them aren't here to learn. If they were brilliant, they would have ended up at some Ivory League uni in the US or at the presitgious chinese universities (of which there are quite a few now).

Uni classes are taught in english, and more often than not I've had to suffer in class while listening to an international student try to speak english properly while answering a question they totally have the wrong answer to. Whats worse is that when groups do presentation, you have to sit through those painful moments. Oh and did I mention that most of the time they are WRONG? It makes it worse, when the tutorial is presentation based and you're expected to learn off your peers.

Otherwise they are fine. I have a few international student friends who are actually around to learn and have bothered to learn english properly, they are great people. But there are a lot of them who just make uni annoying.

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A
my friend in pharm has so many issues with group work with the internationals because their english is so bad. Dont get me wrong i know plenty of internationals with good english but heaps of them at usyd don't speak it well.

I had group work for french with some international students and they were so bad I pretty much had to do the entire presentation myself.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Well the only real issue I've ever had with international students, is that a vast majority of them aren't here to learn. If they were brilliant, they would have ended up at some Ivory League uni in the US or at the presitgious chinese universities (of which there are quite a few now).

Uni classes are taught in english, and more often than not I've had to suffer in class while listening to an international student try to speak english properly while answering a question they totally have the wrong answer to. Whats worse is that when groups do presentation, you have to sit through those painful moments. Oh and did I mention that most of the time they are WRONG? It makes it worse, when the tutorial is presentation based and you're expected to learn off your peers.

Otherwise they are fine. I have a few international student friends who are actually around to learn and have bothered to learn english properly, they are great people. But there are a lot of them who just make uni annoying.
Ivy League.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I also must add that international students pay full fees, which in effect, 'subsidises' the education you are undergoing right now. Local students only pay a fraction of the price they're supposed to. Looking deeper, you will notice international students economically contribute much more than that. They help our economy by paying rent, buying all their stuff and taking part time jobs, all without much government support. This is way better than dole bludgers and abos. I don't know where this statistic comes from so correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently education is Australia's third biggest export. There are probably better things to complain about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)