• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Drug Legalisation (2 Viewers)

Should Drug use be Legalised?

• Yes, let them whatever they want without approval

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Yes, under strict conditions and supervision

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • No, Punishments should be even harsher

Votes: 7 16.7%

• Total voters

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Why is marijuana still illegal?

I think they were trying to do that too. Thing is, I have kids in my school who blindly follow religion, not questioning their faith at all. I don't think they even understand their religion. Must have been the way they were raised.
There are a few like that at my school. I make them feel uneasy by talking to them in an over suggestive tone.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

dont legalise it

how are small time dealers who just want to make a buck going to rake in some serious $$$ if that were the case

that would just ruin everything

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

I fucking knew that you derp.

The reallocation doesn't mean that the other industries would need labour. Labour is a derived demand.
They're spending their money elsewhere or its being invested elsewhere

people dont keep money under their matress you know

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

I can understand why it is illegal, THC induces schizophrenia should not be consumed at all. it's also a drain on the medical system and taxpayers money, as is smoking. I don't want to pay for somebody else's cancer treatment so smoking should be made illegal too.

alcohol – same story again. if people can't consume it responsibly, limit what people have access to. tough sh*t I know for everyone else, but as always its always a select few that stuff things up for everyone.
lol stop trollin

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

The war on drugs will never be won, the money spent is such a waste and could be used for such a better purpose.

However that really only is the economic side.

Socially it does impact peoples lives dramatically.
the social implications for legalisation of drugs would be immense

crime rates would plummet and prisons would lose a lot of their current inmate capacity

crime related to drugs falls into 2 categories really; distribution networks and user crime

distribution networks are the small time dealers through to mexican cartels and bikies gangs. these networks only exist because of the stiff penalties and high prices that the drug war creates. without a war on drugs there would be no mexican drug war with 30,000 people dead. there would be no inner sydney shootings in nightclubs etc or drive-bys.

user crime has 2 facets. crimes committed by people to buy drugs and crimes committed on drugs. a lot of break and enters are done by peopel with a history of drug abuse. they steal to fund their habit. this is because the prices for drugs are highly inflated and medical help is less available because these people live on the fringe of society. there are other crimes such as driving under the influence, which im sure we would all agree is something that would be legislated against if drugs were legalised. it is illegal to drink and drive but some people still do it, there is nothing we can do to stop this.

sending people to prison for minor drug offenses creates more crime, that is a fact. sending someone to prison for dealing small amounts of drugs turns them from a productive member of society to a more hardened criminal, who is shunned from normal society and employment for the rest of their lives. it also strengthens criminal gangs because where do you think they recruit from?

all of these problems would be solved by legalisation. the tax revenue would more than make up for any concieved increases of load on the health system

nb a lot of "overdoses" are attributed to impurities in drugs due to the underground nature of manufacture. ie no extasy in australia has MDMA in it , it is mostly draino and poor quality amphetamines. differing strengths of drugs are what cause overdoses. one time you might need 5 pills to feel anything, next time you will get a strong batch and 5 will kill you etc.

also meth is fucking fantastic and you would be able to buy it from vending machines to use whenever you have an assignment due or some housework to do.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

meth is so good i wish i had some meth right now id be doing my work instead of ranting about meth

USAF pilots flying billion dollar B2 bombers get given go-pills (meth) to help with concentration and endurance

meth is only bad if you binge on it for a week at a time and start seeing things (sleep deprivation) and dont bathe ever THSI IS A FACT

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

lol ayn rand used meth to stay awake and write continuously for days on end

mel loves ASDF

HSC

I think it should be legal but there should be some sort of control over it
... like an age limit or something.. :)

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

agreed

there is no place for the government to restrict the substances an adult can ingest and 18 is the age of majority etc but there is some evidence to suggest that use in developing brains/teenagers causes developmental delays so 18+ and sold in legally licenced stores etc with no restriction on cultivation of marijuana plants etc

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

i never got the "war on drugs will never be won, therefore legalise drugs" argument

war on murder hasnt been won either last time i checked

also nobody goes to fucking jail for taking drugs drug users who go to prison are almost always criminals with long criminal records regardless of their drug use

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

there is no war on murder though

i would like to know how many murders in australia are linked to drug prohibition. there are a lot of murders between rival gangs etc.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

war on drugs is just making drugs illegal and going after who sell them etc and trying to teaching kids to avoid them

war on murder - murder is illegal and people who do it normally are treated very badly, thou shalt not steal in the bible etc

but no people are still killin each other

theyve been killing each other for thousands of years

lets legalise it

also idc about drugs marijuana should be legalised though

but yeah im sure those bad people are going to stop being psychopaths the moment drugs are legalised

mel loves ASDF

HSC

mmm well maybe they will still be 'phychopaths', but at least legalising marijuana would give them something else
to do rather than killing people lol...anyway dose'nt it calm people?

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

war on drugs is just making drugs illegal and going after who sell them etc and trying to teaching kids to avoid them

war on murder - murder is illegal and people who do it normally are treated very badly, thou shalt not steal in the bible etc

but no people are still killin each other

theyve been killing each other for thousands of years

lets legalise it

also idc about drugs marijuana should be legalised though

but yeah im sure those bad people are going to stop being psychopaths the moment drugs are legalised
compelling argument

yeah ok lots of them might be sociopaths/psychopaths who just enjoy being part of the criminal element but arent we just enabling them and making them stronger by legislating against something that can be controlled easily by the govt

clearly someone is making more money fighting the drug cartels than the cartels themselves are making

mel loves ASDF

HSC

sooo true! I mean it was legal before.. what was the problem?
smoking cigaretts is legal and we all know what that stuff dose to you,
but marijuana is NATURAL... and its illegal?
someone obviously getting something out of it being illegal.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

well yes i was being slightly sarcastic, the US law enforcement agencies, Army and prison system make spend considerable amounts fighting the war on drugs. that is fairly common knowledge.

continuing to legislate against drugs just gives supposed career criminals/pyschopaths outlets and encourages them. there would be no cartels/bikie gangs if it wasnt profitable and it wouldnt be profitable if everyone have a marijuana plant in their yard etc

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

cosmo

killing involves the initation of agression against other people

while yes, the war on drugs doesn't target drug users so much (except for the millions of people who have been in jail in america for possesion), the ultiamte goal is to eliminate drug usage

The thing is, taking drugs in and of itself is completely harmless, unlike murder

and though there are some negative effects on society from people using drugs, prohibition results in far worse problems

cmon man

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC

i am sure he was trolling so i tried to address the valid issue of people who are just predisposed to criminal behavior

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC

wat

im not saying that murder and drug use are morally equivalent

im just using murder as a counterpoint to that argument that drugs should be legal because illegalising drugs hasnt eliminated drug use

thats not a good reason to legalise drugs; nobody would say so with murder even though the same logic applies

i think drugs should prob be legal marijuana esp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)