• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

mathematic computer tutor program (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Who has it? Who has finished the program? Did you think it was good?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

This one. It has like half a blue screen when you click examples. Apparently the original company went bust, then another company took over. There is a phone service but it's mainly run by Indian's - (sometimes hard to understand) and EXTREMELY difficult to explain lengthy maths questions over a phone. It's next to impossible honestly.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I think it was 3 grand for the high school version and 3 grand for the primary school version. [Total rip off]
*Faints* There's a dinner I will never have. So why are you considering buying this software?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
*Faints* There's a dinner I will never have. So why are you considering buying this software?
here's a ACA video that came out eventually.

Nah I ended up buying it (silly me) back in year six I think (I used my own money). Stupid bitch came to our door and brought in her laptop etc, showed us the program and gave us a demonstration. Then my parents asked me if I wanted it, and I inadvertently said yes. TBH I hardly use it. The phone service I used to use last year and a bit this year, but I just gave up with it, because most of the time they couldn't explain what to do, the indian would mumble or I would get an asian tutor which talked really quickly expecting me to know all the steps. I'm more of visual learner, so this obviously didn't go down well.

Now the lady said the company offers an 'in-person' tutor if your marks don't improve by 12 months. But the company went bust, never told any one. Some other company bought them out. When my computer crashed, We used to be able to ring the original company up to get the licence keys to reinstall the software. (This was the only way to reinstall, as the key changed every time a new install was required). HOWEVER SINCE the new company bought them out. this new company charges $9.00 per licence for EACH computer for EACH INSTALL you make. (what unfair bullshit). I decided not to reinstall it, because it was a bullshit program any ways, no better than a textbook imo. I mean for a household of 3 - 4 computers that would be $36.00 just for licence keys which I already paid 6 grand for!!@

So now the software is currently installed on one of my old computers which is still going and has never crashed since the first install. I'm contemplating, should I finish the software course for year 11 and 12 for my HSC or just dump the shit. The program basically consists of topics and provides MINIMAL examples, and then it slogs you with like 40 or so questions until you get all of them right. If you end up getting 2 wrong in an exercise you get a red light indicating that you have failed that exercise, if you get 1 wrong, you pass the exercise, and if you exit half way, you get a half green light, and have to restart from scratch.

read this site as to all the complaints the old company had http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Mathemagic_Computer_Tutor_the_same_as_Maths_Wor ldwide

Maths worldwide is the new company.

personally there are better quality videos on youtube to learn maths and mathsonline. O well I guess I'm just one of many thousands of customers who got sucked into this terrible deal. Eh it's life ay, you learn to move on.

Ahhh shit exactly 2 months until the HSC :eek: I'm scared. 2 months from now I'm gona be doing my final exams :eek: 17th OCT it's going to go like a flash of lightning.

I know long post, worth the read if you're into what happened with this company.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
This is what the shitty interface looks like, which looks like it was designed in the years of pre-2000. There is an update feature, but it's never been updated with new versions. They don't make any. I'm still surprised they are trying to still sell this product and many other company's doing the same. Such a scam really. You may as well just get a tutor twice a week for yr 11 and 12. Cheaper and much more helpful.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
This is exactly why I want to help children after I finish my HSC.

funnytomato

HSC
i don't really know how these programs work, but I doubt they are any better than textbooks in terms of teaching maths systematically according to the syllabus

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Also I've tried copying all of the program's files to another computer, and yet it still didn't work, because it needs a new licence key to run. I think you can get it download it from torrents, but It wouldn't be too safe.

The program doesn't even separate 2 unit content from 3 unit content. I'm not sure if it does 4 unit. Also I still haven't been told the keyboard shortcuts to make powers (indices) on numbers. The bitch said I would learn. But I still use the mouse to click the buttons. grrrrr.

Also she said the licence would be mine for life. Even the new maths world wide advertises it as your to keep for life. But whats this stupid $9 licence every time you reinstall. what bullshit cunts.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
And to top it off, sometimes when I ring the tutor centre (which has around 2 people working there - assumed) don't even pick up at times. It's really bad.

memo15

HSC
looll i have that one and yeh its a rip off at the start u actually do it then u slack off its a big rip off studying urself is alot more productive

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
looll i have that one and yeh its a rip off at the start u actually do it then u slack off its a big rip off studying urself is alot more productive
Basically, maths CANNOT be learnt ENTIRELY on a COMPUTER. It's a load of bullshit. If you are going to do one of those computer tutor exercises, you need to grab a fresh sheet of A4 paper and write the questions down as they come at you. Then Once you think you got it right, you have to waste more time entering the answers in one by one. It's so de-motivating when you get 1 or 2 wrong and you know you failed the exercise, esp when it's nearing the end of an exercise. There are basically one set of examples for an exercise, and NOT even all exercises contain examples. It truly is a rushed program.

It has a report card feature built in which is meant to tell your parents how well you are going in certain topics. It was never used. (Maybe once or twice when we initially got it, but never since). The lady got my parents sold when she said, "Maths is the most important subject, because it will do you well at uni, helps you over other people and you make the $$$ later on to pay it off" TOTAL BULLSHIT. I will now always be 6 grand less than I had before. Nothing will ever change that.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Mr Brightside

So do you self-study now for coming externals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)