Getting into Law... (1 Viewer)

louisandpie

HSC
N/A
Hello all!
I am currently attending year 10 and enjoying the spoils of a relativity stress free lifestyle :). However, to my dismay, i have a passion for law! I just got my subject lines and have chosen the following....
  • advanced english
  • legal studies
  • general maths (sooo hopeless at mathmatics but ace the crap out of maths 2/3 which is basically year 12 gen).
  • business studies
  • biology
  • studies of religion 2 unit ;)
What atar would i need to get into law? And hey, i dream big but not too big, probably university of Sydney and university of New South Wales is out of the question. (or is it through use of bonus points? For example, i come from a regional area with a population of <10k)
I am passionate about law and money is nice but not everything so i am looking for a respectable and employable university, not so much a prestigious one such as university of Syd.

Sorry for my ramblings, i have to hand these subject choices in v. soon :) :eek2:

enoilgam

HSC
It really depends on the university. These are the rough marks for universities in the sydney area

UNSW/Usyd - 99.5 at the bare minimum
UTS - 97.2
Maquarie - Around 95.5, although last year they took people who got as low as 93.5
UWS - 91, although with bonus points you could theoretically get in with 80
Notre Dame - 90, I go to Notre Dame and the law school is great with an up and coming reputation. Since you come from a small regional school, this university will probably suit you best as it has very small class sizes. One of my law lectures has 18 people

I wouldnt concern myself to much with the universities stature, if you have a true passion for law you will go anywhere. When selecting a university, try and pick the one which you like most and feel comfortable with.

PS. Only UWS offers bonus points for law

Last edited:

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
UAC guide will tell you everything. Generally 90+ is a must. Bonus marks is not applicable for law except for the access scheme (for disadvantaged students). My memory tells me that rural students receive bonus marks, but I am not too sure so ask around you school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
USyd and UNSW are 99.65 bare minimum.

USyd is even 99.70

VolumeOfSilence

HSC
I would encourage you to apply for an Early Entry option, for example at the University of Wollongong.

If successful it guarantees you a position even before the HSC! (provided which reach a minimum ATAR [I got in with an 83.5]). You can apply online at their website.

Last year I passed the online application and a 'Critical Thinkers Test', and was offered a position for a double degree in Law.

Many people tend to forget about UOW when it comes to law, but they are a very respectable Uni.

FrozenSky

HSC
It really depends on the university. These are the rough marks for universities in the sydney area

UNSW/Usyd - 99.5 at the bare minimum
UTS - 97.2
Maquarie - Around 95.5, although last year they took people who got as low as 93.5
UWS - 91, although with bonus points you could theoretically get in with 80
Notre Dame - 90, I go to Notre Dame and the law school is great with an up and coming reputation. Since you come from a small regional school, this university will probably suit you best as it has very small class sizes. One of my law lectures has 18 people

I wouldnt concern myself to much with the universities stature, if you have a true passion for law you will go anywhere. When selecting a university, try and pick the one which you like most and feel comfortable with.

PS. Only UWS offers bonus points for law
I don't think MQ will accept people as low as 93, i always had MQ law on my pref list but i never got accepted.

Anyway back on track, if you're really desperate into getting into law apply for EAS and then write a letter to the law faculty crying how you always wanted to be a lawyer etc etc...
I know of someone who got into UTS law with ~82 atar using EAS and a letter.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't think MQ will accept people as low as 93, i always had MQ law on my pref list but i never got accepted.
Did you have maquarie as your first preference? I've heard of people getting into maquarie in the second or third round with ATAR's in the 93's. I got accepted to Maq in the first round and my ATAR was a point and a bit off the cut-off

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Did you have maquarie as your first preference? I've heard of people getting into maquarie in the second or third round with ATAR's in the 93's. I got accepted to Maq in the first round and my ATAR was a point and a bit off the cut-off
so your saying that you could get into macq law with an atar of probs 93-94~~~ if there isn't enough demand for the course right??

because this years cut off is 95.9 but i think my atar will be somewhere around 94-95~ and yeah i really want to do macq comm/law i got so much passion for it

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
You also get bonus points for law if you are good at sport. My friend got into UNSW law with 95.something.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Many people tend to forget about UOW when it comes to law, but they are a very respectable Uni.
That is unfortunately true (and I am one of those who will admit to forgetting about UOW). Which is quite strange because my boss went to UOW.....

....yeah i really want to do macq comm/law i got so much passion for it
All the passion in the world ain't going to get you into a course during the UAC rounds if you don't have the ATAR for it, so work hard. :)

You also get bonus points for law if you are good at sport. My friend got into UNSW law with 95.something.
This is true. Various Universities have various sporting schemes, particularly if you have participated in a sport at the State/National levels. If you're trying to apply for bonus points whilst participating at School/Zone/District -forget it.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
That is unfortunately true (and I am one of those who will admit to forgetting about UOW). Which is quite strange because my boss went to UOW.....

All the passion in the world ain't going to get you into a course during the UAC rounds if you don't have the ATAR for it, so work hard. :)

This is true. Various Universities have various sporting schemes, particularly if you have participated in a sport at the State/National levels. If you're trying to apply for bonus points whilst participating at School/Zone/District -forget it.
dam :(

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Regardless, there are many opportunities to get into law - if you're as passionate as you make yourself out to be, then no matter what mark you get - you will find your way in. UOW, Newcastle, and interstate!

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Regardless, there are many opportunities to get into law - if you're as passionate as you make yourself out to be, then no matter what mark you get - you will find your way in. UOW, Newcastle, and interstate!

True, but i guess i lack the passion to move interstate T.T ~~ i want to balance my life with family and etc so sydney is a must for the region!!!.

but yes i will try very hard to get into MQ.

im just hoping if i could get atleast 95 ATAR and hopefully i could get in 2nd or 3rd round :(

enoilgam

HSC
True, but i guess i lack the passion to move interstate T.T ~~ i want to balance my life with family and etc so sydney is a must for the region!!!.

but yes i will try very hard to get into MQ.

im just hoping if i could get atleast 95 ATAR and hopefully i could get in 2nd or 3rd round :(
I think you would probably make it into MQ in the first round with 95 (last year they had vacancies in law/commerce even after the final round offers). I got into MQ Comm/law first round despite being 1.1 ATAR points off the cutoff.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I think you would probably make it into MQ in the first round with 95 (last year they had vacancies in law/commerce even after the final round offers). I got into MQ Comm/law first round despite being 1.1 ATAR points off the cutoff.
Wait so what exactly was your ATAR? sorry to ask.. im just really curious and i've been very unaware of the entry process for a long time. btw congrats for getting into comm/law!!!!

so generally MACQ law doesn't have enough demand correct for the courses?? thats why people who don't match the set cut offs are able to get in??...

enoilgam

HSC
Wait so what exactly was your ATAR? sorry to ask.. im just really curious and i've been very unaware of the entry process for a long time. btw congrats for getting into comm/law!!!!

so generally MACQ law doesn't have enough demand correct for the courses?? thats why people who don't match the set cut offs are able to get in??...
Well last year it didnt have that much demand, I'm not sure about previous years though, but I'd imagine that it was roughly the same. As for me, I got 94.8 and that was enough to get me in first round.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
Well last year it didnt have that much demand, I'm not sure about previous years though, but I'd imagine that it was roughly the same. As for me, I got 94.8 and that was enough to get me in first round.
wow nice ATAR :)

wow very pleasing to hear that the 'actual' cut offs could be much lower didn't notice..

because the 96 atar cut off scared me :(.. but who knows demand and supply of course...
can't predict this years =.=... anyways..

sorry but could you reiterate what was the lowest mark people could've got in last year??

i remember seeing you said as low as 93 or something.. in 2nd or 3rd round cutoffs?

enoilgam

HSC
wow nice ATAR :)

wow very pleasing to hear that the 'actual' cut offs could be much lower didn't notice..

because the 96 atar cut off scared me :(.. but who knows demand and supply of course...
can't predict this years =.=... anyways..

sorry but could you reiterate what was the lowest mark people could've got in last year??

i remember seeing you said as low as 93 or something.. in 2nd or 3rd round cutoffs?
I think high 93 might be as low as it goes. But I'm not 100% sure, I'm basing it off someone I went to primary school with who I think got late 93's and made MQ law. Again, I'm not to sure, all I know for certain is my mark was enough to get me in first round.

krnofdrg

HSC
Uni Grad
I think high 93 might be as low as it goes. But I'm not 100% sure, I'm basing it off someone I went to primary school with who I think got late 93's and made MQ law. Again, I'm not to sure, all I know for certain is my mark was enough to get me in first round.
wow thats very lucky :)... i see the 96 cut off is actually not what they expect lol.....

anyways hopefully i'll make it in 2012 and i'll see you there =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)