HSC English --> Ask your questions (1 Viewer)

Uzername

B.S., M.S., M.A., Ph.D.
HSC
I just wanted to ask a question about last year's Module A question: "Analyse how Frankenrunner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times."

For Frankenstein, you can mention Victor's transgression of the beliefs of the Romanticists (against the Enlightenment) and other things. But the established values in Blade Runner's context are things like 'greed is good'; a society living in technological upheaval. Tyrrell doesn't challenge any of these values of his time, in fact he actually reflects it: he artificially recreates humans and is only concerned with profit. So what does he challenge? I understand that he challenges the idea of what it is to be human, but isn't this value/idea universal & timeless, as opposed to being just from his established context?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
I just wanted to ask a question about last year's Module A question: "Analyse how Frankenrunner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times."

For Frankenstein, you can mention Victor's transgression of the beliefs of the Romanticists (against the Enlightenment) and other things. But the established values in Blade Runner's context are things like 'greed is good'; a society living in technological upheaval. Tyrrell doesn't challenge any of these values of his time, in fact he actually reflects it: he artificially recreates humans and is only concerned with profit. So what does he challenge? I understand that he challenges the idea of what it is to be human, but isn't this value/idea universal & timeless, as opposed to being just from his established context?
sorry I've only taught Pride and Prejudice /LTA --> but from what you've said I think it will be correct to say, that whilst some values change others remain the same..! (someone who has done the text will need to help you more), but I think you can always challenge the question in my opinion

Last edited:

hectish

HSC
Tyrell's probably the worst possible choice of a character for Bladerunner, choose Roy Batty or another Replicant, or even Deckard, for developing feelings for Rachael.

abc123yoyo

HSC
Don't worry about that now!!! You've got six days until paper two and they WILL NOT repeat the same question as last year so it's irrelevant. However, you could say "the struggle within the political sphere has an underlying tension within the play contributing to Hamlets disillusionment with not only other individuals but the world in which he functions"
That's a good answer :D but how am I suppose to prepare for Hamlet then? I was thinking of using corruption as a focus of my generic essay

ssylva

HSC

I think i spoke about Roy Batty's challenge of the established values rather than Tyrell's because i found it much more easy to do so. You could just focus it entirely only the roof scene when he saves Deckard thus portaying more dignified actions than most of the human characters in the film. I think that was the jist of it....

cpwincess19

HSC
definitely not unless it so happened to be one of your additional text..but the chances of that happening are quite slim!
even in that case it is not advisable.. but the trend so far seems at least one, so I presume 2011 HSC will ask for at least one, unless they decide to deviate from the normal trend.
Hey :) If they ask for a minimum of 1 text for belonging paper 1 essay , is it fine to include ONLY 1 other related text ?
I'm a bit confused because minimum might mean that they expect you to include more than one .
I'm worried that I won't have enough time ! :|
Thanks !

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Hey :) If they ask for a minimum of 1 text for belonging paper 1 essay , is it fine to include ONLY 1 other related text ?
I'm a bit confused because minimum might mean that they expect you to include more than one .
I'm worried that I won't have enough time ! :|
Thanks !
not at all, when they say at least ONE it means you can discuss one. as long as you analyse the text well and it is not done in a vague manner that it looks like you ran out of time - you will not be penalised for doing one

ssylva

HSC
not at all, when they say at least ONE it means you can discuss one. as long as you analyse the text well and it is not done in a vague manner that it looks like you ran out of time - you will not be penalised for doing one
we were specifically told by our english coordinator to use 1 even if it says 'at least.' we were told that it would actually do more harm than good by using more than one....

xochitl

HSC
Okay, question. I've been looking through module C past papers and a lot of them are statement based, personal opinion based
e.g 2010 question "to what extent has textual form shaped YOUR understanding of conflicting perspectives?"
I'm okay with the "to what extent" part of the question, easy. But, its the "your understanding" part that gets me a bit confused because I'm not entirely sure how to write that out. How many times throughout my essay should I be adding "and hence this links to my understanding of conflicting perspectives, which is (thesis)?"
Is that a good approach? Because I've no idea! :(

ssylva

HSC
ooo btw, how many poems from our prescribed text do you recommend we use? we were told 2 REALLY in depth or 3 not so much. im way too scared to do 2 though... how detailed does our anaylsis have to be i.e. how many language techniques (roughly).

..cant wait to burn all of peter skrzynecki's poems

tthaobui

HSC
N/A
Hey I'm using little sister's account but can you explain The concept for Distinctively Visual that will fit in most quotes

13abie

HSC
Hi, in module B can they ask us to use a specific speech? They did in 2002

amour

Female
HSC
Module A question: "Analyse how Frankenrunner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times."

Do you have to use the words "established values" in your answer, and specify they explicitly?

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
That's a good answer :D but how am I suppose to prepare for Hamlet then? I was thinking of using corruption as a focus of my generic essay
Sorry about the late reply, my essay focuses on 3 ideas within the play, political corruption being one of them. For preperation, i believe you can mould such ideas into the majority of questions you just need to practice developing a thesis on the module which brings your ideas into the scope of the question. In terms of your generic essay, try to focus on a range of ideas so you don't get stuck eg. 3-4 ideas.

Dubble-u25

HSC
Hey guys, just a general question but can they ask you to write in any other text type other than an essay for paper 2?

engie_benji

HSC
Ok so for conflicting perspectives, i have my Prescribed text and one related text very strong but my other related text is weaker. Ive looked at the past 5 years hsc papers and they have all said with reference to at least ONE related text. It is commonly thought that you should do two related texts but is it a disadvantage only doing one? Even if your essay is still 1000 words?

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Module A question: "Analyse how Frankenrunner imaginatively portray individuals who challenge the established values of their times."

Do you have to use the words "established values" in your answer, and specify they explicitly?
established values simply means the values that existed at that time... so you can use the word or use a word that means the same.
but you need to specify the established values that they challenge and then use textual analysis to support your claim!

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
and also what are the chances of them asking for 2 related texts?
the trend seems to be ONE or AT LEAST ONE, but they can very well ask for two... difficult to predict.
but I'd do my practice essays with ONE but know a second one just in case!

acehscwebsite

HSC
N/A
Ok so for conflicting perspectives, i have my Prescribed text and one related text very strong but my other related text is weaker. Ive looked at the past 5 years hsc papers and they have all said with reference to at least ONE related text. It is commonly thought that you should do two related texts but is it a disadvantage only doing one? Even if your essay is still 1000 words?
I hope not. because when they say at least you can very well do one. As long as you do it well and it doesn't look like you ran out of time and so only did one briefly. If you're doing one, do it well.. plus doing one text gives you a better scope for extensive/sound analysis!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)