Module B Hate Thread (1 Viewer)

Phoenix 12

HSC
Uni Grad
I was sooooo pissed about the speeches!!! Although I was able to analyze kyi quite well...

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Module B - too specific?

I'm not too happy with my response for Hamlet, I thought I answered the question directly but I only used like 2 quote technique paragraphs before getting into some really abstract stuff about Hamlet's source of mourning and how his motivations become clearer based on his actions in the final scenes. 3 pages in around 30 minutes :mad:

Glorious

HSC
Hamlet was okay. You just had to scrap out that excerpt they gave you. It was merely to scare you off. You could have so much to write about including duty, inaction, mysoginy and the whole lot and tie it to how the end of the play reflects your judgement of these notions as a whole. So what you learnt about Hamlet's character in terms of being bound by inaction and how Yorick's skull comes to show he is more open to dying for his own spiritual beliefs - and thus, the rest is silence may allude to God's will-power to silently subude those who are corrupt in Denmark. So we ultimately come to make a judgement about his inaction leading to his demise into insanity, hence being more open to die for his spiritual beliefs.

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad

I'm not too happy with my response for Hamlet, I thought I answered the question directly but I only used like 2 quote technique paragraphs before getting into some really abstract stuff about Hamlet's source of mourning and how his motivations become clearer based on his actions in the final scenes. 3 pages in around 30 minutes :mad:
I did this part too. The only way I could bs my preparation which was around the beginning -> middle of the play was to talk about his progression throughout the whole thing lololol and how the closing reflects his ultimate change/acceptance of death or whatever idk some bs.

scarletter

HSC
what did they mean by our judgement? :S

you'd sound like a bit of a twat if you wrote " I think this speech...", totally kills the sophistication.

were they referring to the audience?

hup

HSC
N/A
i only did among school children and wild swans so i lucked out

yours

HSC
Hamlet was okay. You just had to scrap out that excerpt they gave you. It was merely to scare you off. You could have so much to write about including duty, inaction, mysoginy and the whole lot and tie it to how the end of the play reflects your judgement of these notions as a whole. So what you learnt about Hamlet's character in terms of being bound by inaction and how Yorick's skull comes to show he is more open to dying for his own spiritual beliefs - and thus, the rest is silence may allude to God's will-power to silently subude those who are corrupt in Denmark. So we ultimately come to make a judgement about his inaction leading to his demise into insanity, hence being more open to die for his spiritual beliefs.

Yes. I emphasised the importance of the last scene, but had to analyse themes throughout the play to show how the ending resolved them. I remember a trial question I practised on that said Hamlet's value lies in its "fitting conclusion" so I'd thought about the ending a lot. Also it's important to know it no matter what the question as it demonstrates Hamlet's evolution which is how he is an authentic representation... blah blah blah. It's all linked in the end. I only used one quote from the extract, but mentioned Act 5 a lot.

I really was disappointed that I didn't write on women, but I thought the other themes were more prominent in the final scenes - revenge, deception and mortality

TheWolfsLunch

HSC
Gwen Harwood. Enough said.

It was a sort of confusing question and I wasn't too sure on how to approach it. I reckon I did alright, but I wanted to do three poems instead of just the two. At least The Violets is a poem that most of the people would have used, so it wasn't as bad as it would have been for the people doing speeches.

hallofdoors

HSC

I do poetry, but I'd imagine that Speeches would be the worst because, all the speeches don't even really link to each other ... ? At least with Gwen Harwood she actually IS talking about the same over and over! Oh well, the texts do get aligned right?

Glorious

HSC
Yes. I emphasised the importance of the last scene, but had to analyse themes throughout the play to show how the ending resolved them. I remember a trial question I practised on that said Hamlet's value lies in its "fitting conclusion" so I'd thought about the ending a lot. Also it's important to know it no matter what the question as it demonstrates Hamlet's evolution which is how he is an authentic representation... blah blah blah. It's all linked in the end. I only used one quote from the extract, but mentioned Act 5 a lot.

I really was disappointed that I didn't write on women, but I thought the other themes were more prominent in the final scenes - revenge, deception and mortality
I used different points form different scenes and tied it to the end of the play - especially hamlet's death. I used one line from the extract as well. The one about Hamlet being a soldier lol. I think everyone chose that one.

Anyway, I didn't really talk about women, but I did integrate them in the point I had about the use of language - and how we come to know of Hamlet's repugnancy towards his mother through use of double entendres. So yeah, I had Yorick's skull, Duel between Hamlet and Laertes, Language point and one about the ghost -> leading him to damnation. My points also surfaced a lot on corruption within Denmark.

Hope we went alright :)

themanman

HSC
N/A
I almost jizzed in my pants when I saw that they specified Suu Kyi, I only had to tweak a few quotes and techniques here and there.

But in all seriousness I think that it's really unfair to the people doing speeches as they were specified a paragraph of the ONE OF EIGHT speeches, as opposed to someone doing Hamlet as they only had one scene.

you kidding me?

Hamlet one was 10x harder..

one Scene in a WHOLE PLAY

i did essays and the excerpt they provided summarised the entire essay

they had it bad man

themanman

HSC
N/A
what did they mean by our judgement? :S

you'd sound like a bit of a twat if you wrote " I think this speech...", totally kills the sophistication.

were they referring to the audience?
nope.

you need a personal tone

first person preferred

dont u read the marker comments?

13abie

HSC
It wasn't that bad,
all you had to do was say TO SOME EXTENT the ending affects our judgement, but it is the textual integrity and overall unity of the speech that affects our judgement the most, and then basically you write your prepared essay, and just analyse the Suu Kyi extract as if it was comprehension from paper 1 :)

yours

HSC
you kidding me?

Hamlet one was 10x harder..

one Scene in a WHOLE PLAY

i did essays and the excerpt they provided summarised the entire essay

they had it bad man
it asked how it informed our "judgement of the play as a whole" - You can't show understanding of the whole play if you don't quote other scenes, or at least make reference to them. You weren't restricted to evidence that was only within the very last scene. Also 'closing scenes' is a bit vague - how many scenes is it? Is the end of Act 4 included? It looked harder than it was.

Glorious

HSC
That's exactly right.

Just say "my judgement ...." blah blah.

Glorious

HSC
it asked how it informed our "judgement of the play as a whole" - You can't show understanding of the whole play if you don't quote other scenes, or at least make reference to them. You weren't restricted to evidence that was only within the very last scene. Also 'closing scenes' is a bit vague - how many scenes is it? Is the end of Act 4 included? It looked harder than it was.
I think the last 2 scenes would be the closing ones.. within act 5.

acemusic415

HSC
Module B - Hamlet was a piss off, but it did give so many openings for various themes to be discussed. I just dealt with the human condition and humanism with the implications of death, cos of Hamlet dying and how he died because of his plan to be insane (weaved in appearance vs. reality)

Italian4uc

HSC
this was the worst possible question. i did yeats, memorised 3 poems essays -_- and then they ask for a specific poem that i knew nothing about and only had to write one poem.

silence--

HSC
well to the many who predicted that mod b would be a shitfest this year, you were right =P

probably max i can get is like 15/20 but then i was never really good for mod B anyway heh

also a teacher (who marked mod B before) said that you don't need to say "I" or "my" in your essay, as long as you make it clear that it is your personal interpretation (if that makes any sense, lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)