General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
On the syllabus Y would be referred to as a data logger.

danjw

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

What did you guys get for question 11, the weird one about phloem and water or something?

mostwantd

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

Multiple choice, question 1. I put B, but it might be D.

How can plants and animals come from the same ancestors? Or can they?

vaish94

HSC
CORRECT ANSWERS TO MC:

1. B
2. C
3. B
4. C (asks for components of chromosome, not DNA)
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. D or B (both correct)
9. C
10. D
11. A
12. B
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. D
18. A
19. A
20. A

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
CORRECT ANSWERS TO MC:

1. B
2. C
3. B
4. C (asks for components of chromosome, not DNA)
5. B
6. D
7. B
8. D or B (both correct)
9. C
10. D
11. A
12. B
13. A
14. B
15. B
16. A
17. D
18. A
19. A
20. A
Might want to rethink Q20. That should be C instead of A.

vaish94

HSC
Might want to rethink Q20. That should be C instead of A.
I am pretty sure it's A, I've spoken to my teacher about it too and he thinks it's A. The fact that the fossil record is incomplete since fossil forms occur so rarely, is one of the strong arguments going against gradualism. This is the reason why punctuated equilibrium even came about, to disprove Darwin's evolutionary theory. C just seems like the 'distractor' to me and its too convenient to suggest that there is actually tracked evidence of fossils changing rapidly.

catalyst91

HSC
Stupid chromosome component question screwed me ><.
19/20. Slightly disappointed I didn't get full, but hey I'm pretty happy. :)
How did everyone else fair?

CalumGemmell

HSC
I am pretty sure it's A, I've spoken to my teacher about it too and he thinks it's A. The fact that the fossil record is incomplete since fossil forms occur so rarely, is one of the strong arguments going against gradualism. This is the reason why punctuated equilibrium even came about, to disprove Darwin's evolutionary theory. C just seems like the 'distractor' to me and its too convenient to suggest that there is actually tracked evidence of fossils changing rapidly.
The whole science faculty at my school decided on C, I also put C. They had a MC question about punctuated equilibrium a few years ago, I think it was 2009, in which a series of sketched fossils was shown and you had to determine what it was an example of. It showed like 6 generations of an species, and in the 5th or 6th they all gained a new trait, punctuated equilibrium was the correct answer.

On another note, do you think I'd get a mark for saying technology X was a 'thermometer (digital)'?

vaish94

HSC
The whole science faculty at my school decided on C, I also put C. They had a MC question about punctuated equilibrium a few years ago, I think it was 2009, in which a series of sketched fossils was shown and you had to determine what it was an example of. It showed like 6 generations of an species, and in the 5th or 6th they all gained a new trait, punctuated equilibrium was the correct answer.

On another note, do you think I'd get a mark for saying technology X was a 'thermometer (digital)'?
That 2009 question didn't ask for what evidence supported punctuated equilibrium and it did not even specify that they were fossils. It was simply asking what concept it showed, so it just tested your understanding on what it really is. And yeah digital thermometer should get you a mark.

bigbirdbanana

HSC
Ok so for all the people who haven't read through this forum and realised that pretty much EVERY question that people aren't sure of has been discussed and solved (except the punctuated equilibrium because there's still debate about that), here's a summary of the main issues and their solutions (not just what i think but the conclusions that we've come to) and if anyone asks about them again i'm going to kill someone.

1) B because this is true (basic year 9-11 evolution) and D is NOT because the same chemical components can and do form different proteins depending on the needs of the organism.

2) C - read your text book, it's about how substances are carried in the blood, this is directly from the syllabus

3) B - one of the very first dot points of MaB. C and D are automatically wrong by saying this is unnecessary and A is true but B explains WHY, so it is more correct which is what the BoS says is required for MC

4) C - it is the chemical components of a CHROMOSOME not DNA (A is simply the components of DNA), as a chromosome also has histone, a protein. This is again straight from the syllabus

5) B - basic Punnett square will show this

6) D - A was Ronald Ross, B was Louis Pasteur, C was Koch - even if you hadn't looked at Burnet you could have figured this out by a process of deduction

7) B - basic SFBH dot point

8) B AND D - the board is investigating this - aka they're gonna allow both probably. POST ABOUT THIS AND YOU DIE.

9) C - check the textbook

10) D - A, cloning doesn't increase variation; B, no crossing over in asexual reproduction; C, no such thing as spontaneous generation

11) A - this is from the 'source to sink' theory, so check your textbook if you don't remember it

12) B - this was explored in adaptations to reduce water loss etc

13) A - not even going to explain...

14) B - A, C and D refer to the second and third line of defence, however cilia and the mucous membranes are designed to stop pathogens even entering the body at all, thus must be B (refer to textbook)

15) B - It does not talk about genetics thus not A; not about fossils so not C; not about embryos so not D; biogeography explains this as these organisms are part of divergent evolution

16) A - cbf to explain, check SFBH, it's straight from the syllabus

17) D - since there are 3 phenotypes this must be an example of codominance, as the heterzygous form is a mixture of both A and B, with no specific dominance. As 1 and 2 have the same phenotype and they produce three different phenotypes, they must BOTH have the heterozygous genotype AB, thus the answer is D

18) A - 1 is an artery as it has thick, muscular walls and 4 is a vein as it has valves to prevent backflow - combining these it must be A

19) A - Malaria is caused by a protozoan NOT bacteria and antibiotics only kill bacteria

20) A or C - still fierce debate about this

Also, the question labelling X and Y - X is a thermal probe and Y is a data logger. Yes, there are also many of us who haven't heard of a data logger before.

If you have any queries about what i've posted then ask (after you've checked your textbook please!), but this is just to stop people constantly saying WHAT'S THIS?? when they haven't been bothered to read through and see that it's been answered. Hope this helped!

damo_g

HSC
Stupid chromosome component question screwed me ><.
19/20. Slightly disappointed I didn't get full, but hey I'm pretty happy. :)
How did everyone else fair?
Same. Worst part is, i had the right answer and changed it at the end. Can't complain though with 19/20.

lolza

HSC
19/20, would have been a twenty but the repition of the cytotoxic and killer T cells made me second guess my answer for that question......although if mistakes are made in the actual questions the question can be discarded and everyone gets the mark

Also what technologies did everyone mention for the 7 marker in genetics?
What was the gene expression red blood cell thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)