Mechanics!!!! (2 Viewers)

hscwav2012

HSC
Half way through this topic at school & it seems a lot harder than all the other topics.

Is MECHANICS the hardest topic in 4u course?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd say Harder 3u gets a bit ridiculous. Mechanics is usually straightforward.

I'd think Conics maybe?

zeebobDD

HSC
hardest topic in life, lol "apparently" its meant to be harder 3u stuff who knows and difficulty depends on the student

math man

HSC
N/A
if you are good at integrating and solving DE's that's half of mechanics done (resisted motion) if you are good at labelling forces on a diagram and resolving the forces in vertical and horizontal direction thats circular motion done. So yeh not to bad overall, however there are a few nitty gritty things, and definitely if you look through all textbooks and past papers harder 3u is overall the hardest topic as it most commonly has the hardest questions, however any topic can be made into the hardest question :p

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I'd say Harder 3u gets a bit ridiculous. Mechanics is usually straightforward.

I'd think Conics maybe?
Wut. That's the second easiest topic I've done so far :s Then again, I guess it varies from person to person.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Wut. That's the second easiest topic I've done so far :s Then again, I guess it varies from person to person.
Conics gets pretty hard! I'm surprised you don't find Volumes/Integration easier than conics. To each his own, I guess!

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Conics gets pretty hard! I'm surprised you don't find Volumes/Integration easier than conics. To each his own, I guess!
I don't know, Conics just "clicks" for me I guess. At the moment I'm finding volumes to be the hardest, simply because I'm always making small errors that screw the whole thing over. Admittedly, I haven't done very much on it - hopefully I'll improve :p

So far I'd put it (from easiest to hardest): Polynomials, Conics, Integration, Complex, Volumes

funnytomato

HSC
if you are good at integrating and solving DE's that's half of mechanics done (resisted motion) if you are good at labelling forces on a diagram and resolving the forces in vertical and horizontal direction thats circular motion done. So yeh not to bad overall, however there are a few nitty gritty things, and definitely if you look through all textbooks and past papers harder 3u is overall the hardest topic as it most commonly has the hardest questions, however any topic can be made into the hardest question :p
+1

jyu

HSC
Here is a simple mechanics question. A 1 kg block is at rest on a rough plane inclined at 30 degree angle to the horizontal. Find the magnitude and direction of the reaction force of the plane on the block.

barbernator

HSC
Here is a simple mechanics question. A 1 kg block is at rest on a rough plane inclined at 30 degree angle to the horizontal. Find the magnitude and direction of the reaction force of the plane on the block.
off the top of my head(i have not done any mechanics), assuming g=9.8, F=9.8sin(pi/3) N 120 degrees to the horizontal

D94

HSC
N/A
Draw a diagram; always helps with the Mechanics topic.

Anyway, I thought it was one of the easier topics.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Not really the hardest. It's fairly straightforward.
This.

Even I was good at mechanics and I'm shit at maffs.

This.

Integration
Complex numbers
Mechanics
Volumes
Graphs
Polynomials
Conics
Harder 3U

In that order.

Mechanics:
Always draw free-body diagrams and resolve forces.
When something isn't moving up or down then mg=the force acting upwards.
tan of really small x = sine of really small x

Alkenes

HSC
N/A
I have not started mechanics yet, but conics ain't hard at all :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I have not started mechanics yet, but conics ain't hard at all :p
and at the end of the year when you forget the 80 billion proofs you'll realise what we were saying.

HSC
the maths behind mechanics is pretty simple

it's more so understanding what they're asking for/how to get there

i've always thought physics kids had a slight edge when it came to mechanics for this very reason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)