Help!!! :( (1 Viewer)

ali-fc

HSC
hey guys i need help with economics im not doing soo well in it and i want to boost my marks up but when i study for it i just dont know how to study for it.. do i make notes and read them, do past papers.. i need help :(
any suggestions on how i can improve my marks and how to study for economics??

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
You already seem to know how you're going to improve, but I might as well reiterate:
- Make notes under each syllabus point
- Complete past papers (i.e. essay plans/responses, short answer questions, mc, but make sure your teacher gets a look at them)

ali-fc

HSC
yeh thats what i was doing before my half yearlys but my notes were in bulk and hard to understand :/ but i wasnt doing past papers im working hard to improve in economics and i got my assessment task 3 in about 2 and half weeks do u think i can maybe get 70 and above also any tips??

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
yeh thats what i was doing before my half yearlys but my notes were in bulk and hard to understand :/ but i wasnt doing past papers im working hard to improve in economics and i got my assessment task 3 in about 2 and half weeks do u think i can maybe get 70 and above also any tips??
In recent times i've started to summarise my summary, which brings about 10 pages of notes into 1 :)
This process will also help to learn and retain information

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Have you identified any of your own key weaknesses while going through the subject?

Is there are a particular type of question or topic which you find you are struggling in?

ali-fc

HSC
yeh thanks alot guys and um my weaknesses are essays and the topic that probably screws me up is australia in the global economy. im just gonna push it and give it all i got and hey theres only 4 months left soo hopefully itl pay off in the end right :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What are you specifically struggling to understand?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Economics is only hard if you believe it is and don't study.

Sit down, open your textbook. Go to something difficult, and think to yourself what does this mean.

You cannot possible understand the whole course in one night. Day by day, or week by week pick something out and try to understand it. Make sure it is small enough so you can understand it easily (i.e. not whole chapters etc.)

HSC
Read Ross Gittins articles they are extremely helpful and are to do with the current economy
I wouldnt suggest reading the text book unless its for economic concepts (my teacher thinks the textbook is useless)
Read everything related to economics in the newspaper ,RBA etc since most of the stuff you need to study is not from the book but from the internet this will help broaden your knowledge base
But do the course work first

Shazer2

HSC
Economics is hard for me too, I am not getting anywhere :(

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are having trouble, feel free to make a thread in this sub-forum so we can help you :)

Shazer2

HSC
You people are so nice, I will do! I just can't grip Economics :(

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Read Ross Gittins articles they are extremely helpful and are to do with the current economy
I wouldnt suggest reading the text book unless its for economic concepts (my teacher thinks the textbook is useless)
Read everything related to economics in the newspaper ,RBA etc since most of the stuff you need to study is not from the book but from the internet this will help broaden your knowledge base
But do the course work first

I don't like Ross Gittins. He makes you feel stupid, in the way that he dumbs down everything

Don't worry. Economics is hard at first but once you get it you will find it easy. Its one of those subjects when, if you get it, it will click in your head and you will be wtf how did i find this hard

chrisman9519

HSC
i keep saying, do workbooks (mc and short answer) and practice essays and give to teacher for feedback.

making notes is far less important in economics than you might think. i have good notes but i can safely say that they haven't helped me much.

what i do before a test is make a list of everything in the chapter that i need to know (processes, definitions and lists) and write them on a piece of paper

for example my last test: (i had way more things than this)

1. internal Economies of scale - definition
2. internal economies of scale - list of things incl.
3. int. dis.econ.of scale - def
etc. etc.

31. elasticity of supply - definition
32. elasticity of supply - influences
blah blah blah

once u have made that list go through it and in your head, answer those questions.
make sure you know everything on that list perfectly and you have basically fully prepared for short answer and multiple choice. (also u MUST do workbook sections FULLY)

carry that piece of paper everywhere and just test yourself regularly throughout the day when you have a few seconds.

you dont need to waste time making eco notes. trust me. make notes in class, but dont worry about making notes at home.

thats how u study. and of course do past papers with an open book. with economics, if you finish enough workbooks and do enough past papers, you will be able to blast through the multiple choice and short answer and have lots of time to do essays.

Clean Sweep

HSC
I don't like Ross Gittins. He makes you feel stupid, in the way that he dumbs down everything

Don't worry. Economics is hard at first but once you get it you will find it easy. Its one of those subjects when, if you get it, it will click in your head and you will be wtf how did i find this hard
If Ross dumbs down economics, doesn't that make things easier?
You should read economic articles and follow their writing style. If you follow it, its fail proof because if it wasn't good, it would be removed from the paper by the editor.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
As Ozko said, feel free to make a thread.

However, it shouldn't be too difficult imo, but what particular area are you finding problematic?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
If Ross dumbs down economics, doesn't that make things easier?
You should read economic articles and follow their writing style. If you follow it, its fail proof because if it wasn't good, it would be removed from the paper by the editor.
I read Ross Gititins. I just don't like his approach towards economics. He is a good economist at writing semi-complicated stuff to easier levels. However i disagree with some of his views etc.

Nonetheless, when i say i don't like him, I am saying I rather other economists

powlmao

Banned
HSC
As Ozko said, feel free to make a thread.

However, it shouldn't be too difficult imo, but what particular area are you finding problematic?
Yes. Economics is very straightforward once you get the concepts and basic foundation.

Feel free to post on his, I will answer (or PM me).

With economics you cannot understand it all at once, you can only understand a bit at time, so break it apart and learn little bits at a time

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

This. Both parts.
Economics is mostly just something you'll either get straight away or not. If not, just keep reading it and thinking about it and keep in mind that there is always some logic behind each topic. Eventually it will click and you'll be fine.
As for Gittins, his explanations are basic and often ignore more complex counterarguments, but they are perfectly adequate for HSC level economics. Also, read The Economist newspaper. Great publication. Online articles have a monthly count limit for non-subscribers though. I'd advise at least getting the digital subscription. You can add them on facebook and they'll post all their new articles on your feed.

Clean Sweep

HSC
I read Ross Gititins. I just don't like his approach towards economics. He is a good economist at writing semi-complicated stuff to easier levels. However i disagree with some of his views etc.

Nonetheless, when i say i don't like him, I am saying I rather other economists
My teacher went to one of his seminars and told me it was very boring and not very engaged with the audience. According to Wikipedia, he started as an accountant and studied Commerce at University of Newcastle. You don't look at accountants for economic advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)