• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Math help (1 Viewer)

ellie95

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys, This is Ellie's sister, I need help with these questions, a diagram (picture) would be great please.

1. A pair of hikers travel 0.7 Km on a true bearing of 240 degrees and then 1.3 km on a true bearing 300 degrees
a) How far west did they travel from their starting point

Fawun

Queen
HSC
It's just piece meal functions (sketch each graph separately for each domain) and I said e.g. sharp corners from Absolute Value graphs so that's an example not saying that it's applicable here.

You could use the methods that's in textbooks but looking at it graphically is much easier.
So I just sketch each graph separately?

here we go again with graphing help

fawun,

m8
stop dat

u cant sketch f(x) = 3 ?
I can it's just that I can't put it all together to look like one of those weird graphs in the examples.

deswa1

HSC
C'mon guys seriously? If they can't graph it, they can't graph it. No need to ridicule them...
This. I still can't graph for shit (I still test points on SO many curves) and back in year 10- well I actually had no clue what was going on. We need to encourage people asking questions not putting them down

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
This. I can't graph for shit (I still test points on SO many curves) and back in year 10- well I actually had no clue what was going on. We need to encourage people asking questions not putting them down
Amen bro

Always double check, I mean it seems silly to do something as basic as 'test points' - but... you know, sometimes the simple method is the best method.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Guys, This is Ellie's sister, I need help with these questions, a diagram (picture) would be great please.

1. A pair of hikers travel 0.7 Km on a true bearing of 240 degrees and then 1.3 km on a true bearing 300 degrees
a) How far west did they travel from their starting point
defff.jpg

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
State whether it has any points at which it is not differentiable

I have no idea what to do...
Lets propose a hypothesis and test any potential doubts:

Proposal:

Since all points that are sharp or are discontinous are non-differentiable, and our function here is a piece-wise function. That is, its a function composed of many other functions all with given domains.

The proposal is that at x=-2 and x=3, we have either discontinous or sharp points.
We can tell that they might be sharp because at x=2 and x=-3 there is a 'transition' between two functions, that is its a starting point of one of teh functions and we can predict that they might be sharp.

However we must test whether this is actually true and to do this we must observe the gradients of the functions at these 'transition' points.

Lets look at the point x=3 for instance. Its the point which connects the graph f(x)=2x and f(x)=3

By observation they are both straight lines, moreover they are straight lines with different gradients.
How can we tell?

For f(x)=2x, due to y=mx+b our m=2, and hence our gradient is 2
For f(x)=3, its a horizontal line hence gradient of 0

So at x=3 we have a connection between the two straight lines, but they are different gradients, different slopes HENCE they MUST have a sharp point connecting them (you cant connect two lines in a striaght line if they are of different slopes obviously)

Hence at x=3 is a sharp point (or it may be discontinuous, the point is no matter how it connects IF it does it cannot connect smoothly), HENCE it is a point which is non-differentiable

Lets look at x=-2 now, its a bit more interesting since our graph y=1-x^2 has a varying gradient so IT COULD connect smoothly to the striaght line. However lets think about this, we are connecting a straight line graph to a parabola.

So that means that in order for it to be smooth our straight line must connect with the parabola at its turning point. Why? because at its turning point the curve is flat (you should of covered this in the logic behind calculus)

So to find the turning point we must differentiate f(x)=1-x^2. But I assume you havent done this yet, so lets take the rote-y approach and rearrange this into our general parabola form:

So our turning point by formula is x=-b/2a, b=0 in this case, hence our turning point is at x=0

But hang on, the point we are originally caring about here and the point we are questioning is x=-2, so that means the turning point is NOT x=-2, that means when the horizontal line intersects the parabola it must do so at a sharp point.

Hence at x=-2 and x=3 the points are non-differentiable since they are sharp/discontinous. We have achieved the question without graphing.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
We can tell that they might be sharp because at x=2 and x=-3 there is a 'transition' between two functions, that is its a starting point of one of teh functions and we can predict that they might be sharp.
How do you know that there is a 'transition' between two functions through x=2 and x=-3?

However we must test whether this is actually true and to do this we must observe the gradients of the functions at these 'transition' points.
Do you always have to observe the gradient of these functions? or is it just this question that you have to do it?

And what functions? There are like 3 functions in the question :s

Lets look at the point x=3 for instance. Its the point which connects the graph f(x)=2x and f(x)=3
How do you know that it connects the graph f(x)=2x and f(x)=3? Where did you even get x=3 anyway?

Lets look at x=-2 now, its a bit more interesting since our graph y=1-x^2 has a varying gradient so IT COULD connect smoothly to the striaght line. However lets think about this, we are connecting a straight line graph to a parabola.
Why are you only looking at y=1-x^2 now? why aren't you looking at the first two functions anymore?

But hang on, the point we are originally caring about here and the point we are questioning is x=-2
Why are you questioning x=-2? Why -2?

so that means the turning point is NOT x=-2, that means when the horizontal line intersects the parabola it must do so at a sharp point.
Wait you just said before that the turning point is x=0 which isn't x=-2. So whenever the turning point isn't the same as the point that we are questioning, it means that it has a sharp point?

HSC
Fawun have you learnt to differentiate yet?

If not, things would get so much easier, trust me. No graph required (although you should try to draw up one in case)

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Oh right you guys are going graphs. Fawn, I will show you a neat year 10 way of graphing. Depending on what you want to graph.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
>_> Summarise for me what you want.
The question that Sy just posted like 4 posts above you. It's on this page damn it Spiral. Please look.

You just need more patience.
:/

Fawun have you learnt to differentiate yet?

If not, things would get so much easier, trust me. No graph required (although you should try to draw up one in case)
Nope I haven't learned it yet. Things would get easier? Thank gosh I can't stand graphing.

Oh right you guys are going graphs. Fawn, I will show you a neat year 10 way of graphing. Depending on what you want to graph.
Read what Sy quoted.

enoilgam

HSC
Nope I haven't learned it yet. Things would get easier? Thank gosh I can't stand graphing.
Well, from what I can remember, you should learn how to graph first before moving onto differentiation - its just a foundational skill which becomes important later on.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Well, from what I can remember, you should learn how to graph first before moving onto differentiation - its just a foundational skill which becomes important later on.
I can graph it's just that I don't like it.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
The question that Sy just posted like 4 posts above you. It's on this page damn it Spiral. Please look.

:/

Read what Sy quoted.
Sy answered it though. What do you have troubles with?

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
I love graphs. Everything I like, you seem to dislike Fawun :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)