• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Situation: Man buys 3.728 kg pumpkin. Put through as Jarrahdale ($1.98/kg) by operator, but it's actually Kent ($0.96/kg). The man shows me it's indeed Kent by bringing in a small sample showing the dark green/yellow skin.

When I asked one of my supers, she said to do Refunds > Scanning Policy, then type the weight, hit Weight, then select Jarrahdale from Veg A-Z. Well I just did this for this time and gave her the full amount back, but since it was the wrong PLU entered by the operator it wasn't actually a scanning policy.

Question is: how to add the actual value of the Kent to the transaction to give the customer the difference? The register has no scales, and the actual pumpkin has left the store and has been cut up. Do I use a calculator (0.96 * 3.728 = $3.58) and disc dump under produce? What's the way to go about this?
What I would have done is gone Refunds > Return Item. Type 3.728 and press weight. Then find Jarrahdale in the Veg A-Z and press that, ensuring the price is correct. I'm unsure about the rest as I don't have a register in front of me, but that refunds the Jarrahdale. Hope that helps a bit.

BSammy

HSC
yeah, that bit they managed but it was the charging them the correct price to make the different was the tricky.

i'd either just give them the whole amount back, or if i wasn't in a good mood i'd just use a calculator, then charge them for a produce dump of that amount.

the way to go

HSC
never seen a westfield gift card give an error (yes, we accept them including XS cards), im thinking it might have expired?

as for our loose stock, a good 2 or 3 trolleys a day. we separate produce and bakery/bread items as we collect so we dont have as much and they get picked up by their own departments to take care of them, and the rest gets sorted by nightfill, but if they cant it just sits in the dock (theres 8 trolleys on my last count) until the manager notices and goes berzerk, and this happens on a monthly cycle.

Priority 1s in my store everybody ignores, until the SM calls it then everybody comes fucking running, and even jump on full registers, my stores full of suck ups, seriously, 10 mins after managers (who always leaves early) leave, 2ICs leave, another 10 mins, 3ICs. and then we get absolutely smashed, and theres no one to help. ugh. you can literally work out who is whos boss by the order they leave.

@sb26: Woolworths doesnt have any banking/processing fees, it up to each bank, and they all do their own thing, she needs to check with them.

Slightly Relevant Fun Fact: Woolworths along with Coles, CBA, NAB, ANZ and others owns eftpos. Its the only reason we have to ask if people want cash out everytime. The more that people use CHQ or SAV, the more eftpos is worth. Us asking about cash out is essentially free advertising/sales for a company that most people doesnt realise exists, its like saying to each customer "hey did you know about Masters? ... its a new hardware store ... yeah its awesome, go buy some shit" *insert smiley of us dancing like retail puppets*

btw, has anyone elses store actually started selling Masters stuff? mine has...

britto89

HSC
Situation: Man buys 3.728 kg pumpkin. Put through as Jarrahdale ($1.98/kg) by operator, but it's actually Kent ($0.96/kg). The man shows me it's indeed Kent by bringing in a small sample showing the dark green/yellow skin.

When I asked one of my supers, she said to do Refunds > Scanning Policy, then type the weight, hit Weight, then select Jarrahdale from Veg A-Z. Well I just did this for this time and gave her the full amount back, but since it was the wrong PLU entered by the operator it wasn't actually a scanning policy.

Question is: how to add the actual value of the Kent to the transaction to give the customer the difference? The register has no scales, and the actual pumpkin has left the store and has been cut up. Do I use a calculator (0.96 * 3.728 = $3.58) and disc dump under produce? What's the way to go about this?
Refund item then dump item. If the customer kicks up a stink about scanning policy then direct them to the ANRA

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Does anyone here own any of the new Nightfill shirts? How do they compare to the older grey and green ones? Not sure a shirt made of polyester mesh material would be really comfortable. The grey and green ones, at least to me, are comfortable enough.

oldmanjoe

HSC
N/A
Does anyone here own any of the new Nightfill shirts? How do they compare to the older grey and green ones? Not sure a shirt made of polyester mesh material would be really comfortable. The grey and green ones, at least to me, are comfortable enough.
Yep, I've got one.

It's nice, it's made of a more... silky material.

They're swish.

nanakid12

HSC
I've got the new one, I like it. I use it for tickets :) haven't worn one of the older ones, so I wouldn't know how it compares. But the material looks slightly better (though pretty similar).

sb26

HSC
Shopping trolley theft tonight. The guy just waltzed through one of the checkouts while our guy was busy packing.

We got it back though (think the guy abandoned it outside and ran off), and after scanning it through it came to a grand total of $1,375. Batteries, vitamins, underwear ($20 a pack builds up quick), headphones, electronics, etc and then like heaps of cat food too, weird.

Was a half-height trolley too, imagine how much stuff he could have packed into a full one.

Any stories from anyone about thefts?

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys/gals. :) I ordered one of the new shirts, I can claim it back on tax anyway. If they're comfortable I'll order some more, if not I'll pray that my three grey and green ones don't wear out or get holes! Comfortable shirts are important if you're running around like a headless chicken for 9 hours to make sure the load is up! :) Well that and the Asics black leather sneakers that I can't live without.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
WHY WHY WHY can't we get new uniforms for the ENTIRE store. A nice polo like BWS (so jelly of the liquor guys who got their nice new BWS uniforms) or I saw the petrol team have ditched the shirts and got black/lime green polos. It ain't that freakin hard. I don't know why they can't get their act together!
Woolworths needs to sit down and develop an elegant/professional looking polo that is actually comfortable to work in. This could have been done instead of their grand plan to wear jeans, which ended up being a waste of time as it was scrapped (like seriously, come on?). How could they think wearing jeans is more acceptable than developing a polo top company-wide for staff.

the way to go

HSC

Xantios

HSC
N/A
It could be worse, they could return to a white business shirt and the company tie for all male employees, and the gawky scarf for the females! :lol:

nanakid12

HSC
Shopping trolley theft tonight. The guy just waltzed through one of the checkouts while our guy was busy packing.

We got it back though (think the guy abandoned it outside and ran off), and after scanning it through it came to a grand total of $1,375. Batteries, vitamins, underwear ($20 a pack builds up quick), headphones, electronics, etc and then like heaps of cat food too, weird.

Was a half-height trolley too, imagine how much stuff he could have packed into a full one.

Any stories from anyone about thefts?
We have this one guy that is really old and disgusting, comes in whenever he gets the chance and pinches things here and there. Like a magazine, apparently stole aftershave the other day. Despite his senile-ness, he is too quick for the CSM. We also have this one other lady who's bag beeps every so often, and she's been spotted shoving stuff in her bag. We also have kids steal very occasionally. Apart from that, we don't have all that much theft in our area, everyone's pretty honest.

Although in a nearby suburb, I heard a story of some woman stealing a single tampon and shoving it in.

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I've thought about it, that either I can:
* Sign it, let it be done
* Renegotiate a new contract
* If we can't agree, and I won't sign a new contract... they then can give me two weeks notice, right? Or wrong?

My contract wasn't for a fixed period or anything either, so CAN they do this?
Call the union.

meltdown mario9

HSC
N/A
Hello there

I work for a Woolworths part time, only contracted/rostered for 10 hours a week.
Over the past year i have built up some annual leave hours, i have around 112hours worth.
The manager spoke to me about this and asked what i wanted to do with it.
I expressed i would like to cash it out in a lump sum if possible. However i didn't put anything in writing as of yet.
Has any other woolworths employees had experience with cashing out annual leave? And how long does it normally take to receive the money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)