Questions on UMAT (1 Viewer)

HSC
1.Can an individual wing the UMAT exam?

2.Should an individual wing a UMAT exam?

3.Can someone link me to the minimum percentiles of UMAT to get into a course that requires it?

4.What happens if I get 50th-70thpercentile, will I be able to do medicine for example (given that I received the cut-off)?

iBibah

HSC

3.Can someone link me to the minimum percentiles of UMAT to get into a course that requires it?

4.What happens if I get 50th-70thpercentile, will I be able to do medicine for example (given that I received the cut-off)?
1. The UMAT is designed to assess certain skills. If someone has these skills naturally and have good time management, then yes they can.

2. If it gets you through, why not?

3. Best if you search it as it varies across unis.

4. If you meet the atar, UMAT and interview requirements then yes ?

HSC
Alright...

I'm scared that I might not be able to attain a 90th percentile in UMAT... (and I can't afford those tutoring - eg. Medstart)

What should I do?

RishBonjour

HSC
Alright...

I'm scared that I might not be able to attain a 90th percentile in UMAT... (and I can't afford those tutoring - eg. Medstart)

What should I do?
mate seriously, tutoring for UMAT is not tutoring for HSC. It will show you all different types of questions + different approaches etc. It will probably help a lot to hear from those who aced it. But its different, i know a few people who did tutoring (medstart/medentry) and got 60th percentile. While others didn't and got 90th+
Having said that, it is no way something you just go in unprepared (e.g. not having looked at umat style questions or time management - which has a huge hurdle for MOST people - haven't done it myself, don't know) and expect 99+ percentile, unless you were extremely lucky or just naturally understand the type of questions in UMAT.

starshine02

HSC
Alright...

What should I do?
Some people are able to get well in UMAT without papers so it really depends on logic skills I guess.

If you can't afford the tutoring papers then try to buy some off older students (usually it's heaps cheaper)

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC

Just putting it out there, 50th to 70th percentile is not exactly competitive (you probs already know this haha).

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
I have a mate who only did medentry and was consistently getting only 70% on the practice exams.

He kinda winged the UMAT exam and got 99% overall!

Alas, I was also like you.
Worried about UMAT, getting into medicine *sigh*
You're only alternative for a shit UMAT is either going to JCU (Townsville) or trying for years to get into postgrad.

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Google, or tell me which uni and I will tell you.
UWS - has weighted scores where they use a WS = Section 1 + Section 2 + Half of section 3
Non-GWS = ~158
GWS = ~151
UWS Advanced Science scheme = ~145
(changes each year, these numbers were for 2013 entry)

UNCLE/UoN
Section 1 - ~59
Section 2 - 50
Section 3 - 50
So you need at least 50 in each section and then a competitive section one score.
(This section one score was for 2013 entry. The numbers for section one change each year)
There are no exceptions to this.
I got 61 and 76 in section one in 2011 and 2012 respectively (which are considered good and clearly above the 57 and 59 cutoffs of 2011 and 2012) and I didn't get an interview either year because I got 48 and 47 in section 2, respectively.

UNSW - changes depending on your ATAR, but most people have ATARs above 99 and UMATs above 190 (Percentiles above 93rd). So do well in both.
(Numbers change each year but you need at least 160 overall, which is like 67th percentile and with this score you need a 99.95 ATAR and a FLAWLESS interview)

Other states and unis have different entry requirements.

I have a mate who only did medentry and was consistently getting only 70% on the practice exams.

He kinda winged the UMAT exam and got 99% overall!

Alas, I was also like you.
Worried about UMAT, getting into medicine *sigh*
You're only alternative for a shit UMAT is either going to JCU (Townsville) or trying for years to get into postgrad.
Lol, that is NOT winging it.

~winging it~ is doing nothing

Last edited:

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
My bad everybody.

Basically if you do no prep you're incredibly fucked, unless you are very lucky/good at guessing.

But if you want med so badly, why wouldn't you prepare?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
My bad everybody.

Basically if you do no prep you're incredibly fucked, unless you are very lucky/good at guessing.

But if you want med so badly, why wouldn't you prepare?
Yeah well some people can think logically without having to devote so much time to rote learning UMAT questions.

elloelloelle

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, don't pay for your UMAT prep resources ESPECIALLY MedStart! a lot of my friends and I went in year 12 (they claim "2 years use of online resources") and whilst the resources were pretty decent we fell short of the cutoff for Medicine. We're now in first year uni and can't actually use those resources (even though we purchased "two years access" last year). It's like a huge scam, count yourself lucky you can't pay for them because they don't work for the vast majority and in some cases there is false advertising.

Stating the obivous, All UMAT "tutoring" places (which , may I add, you cannot become properly qualified for) just want your money. Shamelessly.

kjwhale2012

HSC
What would a mark of:
40/48.... section 1
36/44.....section 2
28/42.....section3
be roughly equivalent to in UMAT percentile/scores or whatever ?
Or is it impossible to know...

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Is two weeks enough for UMAT practice (2-3 hours per day)?

HSC
2 of my friends did a few (2-5) past papers and both got 98%tile and are at UNSW med now. You can wing it, but I suggest you familiarise yourself with the UMAT.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm hoping it is or waste of $200 + $65 late registration fee.
I can relate bro :/
I registered on the 2nd last day and couldn't post the healthcare card as it was too late.
Hopefully we'll do well this year :)
Last year was awful. Did no prep courses and only looked at the Acer past papers online; got 65 percentile.
Hoping to wing it again with a much higher score and more practice.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
2 of my friends did a few (2-5) past papers and both got 98%tile and are at UNSW med now. You can wing it, but I suggest you familiarise yourself with the UMAT.
And just hope you don't fuck up on that day. Luck plays a large part in this. did they take any prep courses? If no, I feel good atm.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Did a past paper and felt like I could do alright if there wasn't a patterns section.
I spent 2-5 minutes on each pattern and ended up guessing most anyway.

I'm thinking on the day I'll just answer E for all patterns questions, then go back and take a second look at the ones which make the most sense.

RishBonjour

HSC
Did a past paper and felt like I could do alright if there wasn't a patterns section.
I spent 2-5 minutes on each pattern and ended up guessing most anyway.

I'm thinking on the day I'll just answer E for all patterns questions, then go back and take a second look at the ones which make the most sense.
fuck it. I give up. Initially thought S3 would be easy - did a few Qs just now - guessed half.
Going to need all the luck I can get.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)