A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrassed? (1 Viewer)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

As you know MQ/UTS are b-class universities compared to USYD and UNSW and have a HUMUNGOUS + MASSIVE difference in terms of global university rank compared to the G08 universities.

Just a straight up question, have you ever feel embarrassed about going to your uni...

Ill be honest first, yes I have.

If you have a more complicated reason please tell.
No - UTS just clicks with me and I love being here. If I had cared about global rankings and prestige I would've done B. Eco in USYD and not failed everything to try and switch to Comm/Law in the second year.

Welcome back, sghguos.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

me too I feel embarrassed for those people that go to glorified TAFE's, then again society needs to cater for plebs as well

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

To be direct and harsh - you're an idiot. You haven't even started at Macquarie yet. If you think you would have gotten a high ATAR in comparison to the rest of your cohort at Macquarie or people are going to be impressed when you mention you went to Usyd last semester... you're in for a rude shock.

The thing you should be embarassed about is epic failing your first semester of uni, blaming "personal reasons" and trying to cover it up by transferring. "Global university rank" is research biased and doesn't mean as much for undergraduate students, you may have classes with actuary students at macquarie who would have got extremely high ATARs and picked macquarie because they offer the best actuary course in the state.

To answer the question, no. I chose UTS Engineering directly over Usyd Engineering which I had an offer for, and indirectly over UNSW Engineering by not changing my preferences for main round after accepting an early offer. (I likely would have got a main round offer there) A lot of my friends did the same for various reasons. I've met a guy who was doing advanced science at Usyd but found it bland and decided to #yolo it and transfer to game design at UTS.

Btw, it's called Go8 as in "group of eight" not G08 with a zero.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

Argh. Try to pass a course first.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Aight guys enough with the hates on me

Im just asking a question and want you guys to sharr your opinion not bring me rep in this.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

And what do you hope to achieve with this question?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

I think he wants to hear something positive and unreal as he was used to pre-uni.
Oh okay.

Your fail average at USYD translates to HD average at MQ because of prestige of USYD. There is nothing to be embarrassed about with a HD average :)

Frostbitten

HSC

I do all my shopping at night time because I feel too embarrassed to go out during the day as I am a MQ student.

moocow920

HSC

Try passing even just one first year semester 1 course before worrying about uni reputation, honestly it is the absolute least of your worries... I know for me I would rather employ someone with even just a pass or credit average at a supposed 'lower' university than someone failing out of USYD and blaming everyone/everything else and not accepting any responsibility.

And as for being embarrassed, I am not at university yet, and though it cannot be denied USYD and UNSW have a certain type of 'prestige' universities such as Macquarie and UTS are very well respected for their individual strengths and certainly not institutions to be embarrassed of. It's not like someone just popped up one day and decided to make a university and call it Macquarie, if an institution is accredited and operating as a university in a country with educational standards like Australia, it is certainly more than a glorified tafe. The government doesnt just go around letting places call themselves universities for no reason.

As someone stated above, you will not be doing yourself any favours arriving at Macquarie for the semester with these attitudes, and I would keep your mouth shut about how embarrassed you are if I were you. I have a feeling you are in for a nasty shock

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad

Honestly, I'm embarrassed I have to attend the same university as you...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Aight guys enough with the hates on me

Im just asking a question and want you guys to sharr your opinion not bring me rep in this.
We are sharing our opinion. To elaborate more, tl;dr story time about how I ended up where I am and how I have no desire to transfer.

I am studying Engineering/Business at UTS. My goal was Eng/Comm at UNSW initially, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get the ATAR for it because I am pretty lazy and my ranks were good which encouraged the laziness but not to the extent of 95+ (went to a ~220 ranked school). My parents weren't the type to push me either as I was going decently.

Because of that I knew I would probably end up going to Macquarie or UTS, I did a bit of research and found that Engineering at Macquarie isn't really up to scratch and that UTS engineering was right up there with some rating it second in the state only to UNSW. I had no real intentions of going to Usyd at all and didn't have a very good opinion of it back in 2011. (which has changed now, thanks mostly to the USYD BoSers)

I predictably did not get the ATAR for Engineering/Commerce at UNSW or Usyd, but did get an early offer for Eng/Business at UTS and made the conscious decision to not change my preferences as there was a good chance I would get a main round Software Engineering offer at UNSW and it would have been a hard decision for me to make. After going to info day and what not my decision had been made and I changed my preferences around because of that and also because my mum was dissapointed that early round offers weren't printed in the paper (was distinguished achievers not enough haha!?) and main and late rounds were.

So I took the UTS course i'd already accepted off my list and ended up getting an offer for Engineering at Usyd - UNSW Engineering (and most courses) completely filled up during main round and they made very few offers in the later rounds for 2012 entry. If I felt embarrassed about studying at UTS I would have jumped at the oppurtunity to study straight Engineering at Usyd and would have changed my preferences for main round to try to get a different offer.

A good friend of mine at school had an ATAR 7 lower than I did, he wanted to study Electrical Engineering and was also a little interested in the possibility of later transferring into Eng/Commerce. He decided to do Chem and Materials engineering or something similar at UNSW which has a lower cut off and try to transfer. His first sem went average, and he eventually decided to stay in materials engineering.

In my first semester I got a WAM of 76 and it has risen ever since, currently sitting just above 80. I would have a very good chance at transferring into Eng/Commerce at UNSW or Usyd, but have no intentions to do that because I am happy where I am. To be blunt, most people I know who are performing well at UTS have no intentions of transferring. The people wanting to transfer generally scraped in to their course and are only going a bit better than average.

Finally, I am currently in early talks of a job/internship. If all goes well it seems I may be going part time next year and have a full time job relevant to my course. Without compulsory internships early on (only UTS Engineering has this) I never would have looked for an internship this early and definitely wouldn't have found that company and gotten an offer as they predominantly hire UTS students/graduates and probably not a company I would have heard of if I didn't go to UTS (they are fairly big though). In retrospect now i'm fairly confident in saying I made the best choice.

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Thanks for sharing brent.

I am ignoring all the other idiots on this threads who are just postimg hates one cuz of my past.

Anyone else wanna share their opinion.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

We are sharing our opinion. To elaborate more, tl;dr story time about how I ended up where I am and how I have no desire to transfer.

I am studying Engineering/Business at UTS. My goal was Eng/Comm at UNSW initially, but I knew I wouldn't be able to get the ATAR for it because I am pretty lazy and my ranks were good which encouraged the laziness but not to the extent of 95+ (went to a ~220 ranked school). My parents weren't the type to push me either as I was going decently.

Because of that I knew I would probably end up going to Macquarie or UTS, I did a bit of research and found that Engineering at Macquarie isn't really up to scratch and that UTS engineering was right up there with some rating it second in the state only to UNSW. I had no real intentions of going to Usyd at all and didn't have a very good opinion of it back in 2011. (which has changed now, thanks mostly to the USYD BoSers)

I predictably did not get the ATAR for Engineering/Commerce at UNSW or Usyd, but did get an early offer for Eng/Business at UTS and made the conscious decision to not change my preferences as there was a good chance I would get a main round Software Engineering offer at UNSW and it would have been a hard decision for me to make. After going to info day and what not my decision had been made and I changed my preferences around because of that and also because my mum was dissapointed that early round offers weren't printed in the paper (was distinguished achievers not enough haha!?) and main and late rounds were.

So I took the UTS course i'd already accepted off my list and ended up getting an offer for Engineering at Usyd - UNSW Engineering (and most courses) completely filled up during main round and they made very few offers in the later rounds for 2012 entry. If I felt embarrassed about studying at UTS I would have jumped at the oppurtunity to study straight Engineering at Usyd and would have changed my preferences for main round to try to get a different offer.

A good friend of mine at school had an ATAR 7 lower than I did, he wanted to study Electrical Engineering and was also a little interested in the possibility of later transferring into Eng/Commerce. He decided to do Chem and Materials engineering or something similar at UNSW which has a lower cut off and try to transfer. His first sem went average, and he eventually decided to stay in materials engineering.

In my first semester I got a WAM of 76 and it has risen ever since, currently sitting just above 80. I would have a very good chance at transferring into Eng/Commerce at UNSW or Usyd, but have no intentions to do that because I am happy where I am. To be blunt, most people I know who are performing well at UTS have no intentions of transferring. The people wanting to transfer generally scraped in to their course and are only going a bit better than average.

Finally, I am currently in early talks of a job/internship. If all goes well it seems I may be going part time next year and have a full time job relevant to my course. Without compulsory internships early on (only UTS Engineering has this) I never would have looked for an internship this early and definitely wouldn't have found that company and gotten an offer as they predominantly hire UTS students/graduates and probably not a company I would have heard of if I didn't go to UTS (they are fairly big though). In retrospect now i'm fairly confident in saying I made the best choice.
With all those 95+s as if you aren't on like 85+ WAM hahaha

But good story nonetheless. I feel like UTS is completely underrated and it would take UNSW, USYD, all of Ivy League, and UMELB to come out and say "hey it's not 2nd rate" to change that attitude towards UTS. It's a uni with a lot of strengths, but if people treat it second rate then really it's their loss and it says a lot about their character.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

With all those 95+s as if you aren't on like 85+ WAM hahaha

But good story nonetheless. I feel like UTS is completely underrated and it would take UNSW, USYD, all of Ivy League, and UMELB to come out and say "hey it's not 2nd rate" to change that attitude towards UTS. It's a uni with a lot of strengths, but if people treat it second rate then really it's their loss and it says a lot about their character.
Wbt mQ

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

You know that place you always said you've never go but then your mum yelled at you and you ran and ran and ran without taking anything not even some food and then you somehow ended up there and you looked around and noone else was watching and you figured hey well how bad could it actually be and then you took a step forward braced yourself and found out it was actually so much worse than you imagined a foul stench stretching across the space and the tinge of decay stagnating around you until you threw up and started getting dizzy falling down into your own sick and just lying there as the minutes tick tock tick tock over and you just wish you'd faced your mother and stayed at home.

MQ is like that.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

You know that place you always said you've never go but then your mum yelled at you and you ran and ran and ran without taking anything not even some food and then you somehow ended up there and you looked around and noone else was watching and you figured hey well how bad could it actually be and then you took a step forward braced yourself and found out it was actually so much worse than you imagined a foul stench stretching across the space and the tinge of decay stagnating around you until you threw up and started getting dizzy falling down into your own sick and just lying there as the minutes tick tock tick tock over and you just wish you'd faced your mother and stayed at home.

MQ is like that.
brb belonging creative

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)