The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I would say no if it has a hood.

Also. I've stepped down as duty manager, got a job in emergency telecommunications. I leave in a couple of weeks. It's been nice knowing you all :)

rebirth6

HSC
Hey guys, first post.
Looking to get a new shirt as mine is getting ratty.
How different are those Micro-check shirts on Total Image to the ones we have now?

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, first post.
Looking to get a new shirt as mine is getting ratty.
How different are those Micro-check shirts on Total Image to the ones we have now?
they literally have checks that are micro, you gotta look a bit closely to see them though, (for some reason most girls wear that type of shirt at my store?)

I would go for the straight green plain

Last edited:

ShadowLighte

HSC
Hi guys, I'm in a little bit of a rut at the moment. I'm 16, want to work at Woolworths (or anywhere but this is convenient) and my mum knows an employee that said he could apparently offer me a position if I really wanted one- sounds sneaky and I don't even know if that's allowed but yeah, he told me that he could get me an interview and I had to bring my resume. I guess from what I've seen I skip the waiting process and get to be interviewed.

I want a job because I'm pretty worried about my future and the unemployment rate and such. Thing is, I have terrible people skills. And I know that for all jobs-or the majority anyway, you need to be equipped with good people skills, be social and outgoing etc. I have social anxiety so I don't know if anyone can understand how difficult it is. I don't know if it would make things worse if I applied for the job and told my interviewer about it rather than fake being outgoing and social to survive.

My mum doesn't know I have social anxiety- no one really does and so she wants me to work to build my social skills. I was wondering what positions there are available. I am fine with anything but I don't want to be a cashier. I don't think I have to explain. Getting nervous and dropping/ giving wrong change >< I'm female and I realised most females are cashiers where I am and most males are everything else, doing the lifting and carrying, unboxing etc. and i wouldn't mind doing that, I don't mind doing hard labour because it can't get that extreme at Woolies (can it?) and I don't have to talk to every person I see. I can talk to people, just am scared to. Of stuffing up and failing and people getting mad at me etc.

quake

HSC
N/A
My mum doesn't know I have social anxiety- no one really does and so she wants me to work to build my social skills. I was wondering what positions there are available. I am fine with anything but I don't want to be a cashier. I don't think I have to explain. Getting nervous and dropping/ giving wrong change >< I'm female and I realised most females are cashiers where I am and most males are everything else, doing the lifting and carrying, unboxing etc. and i wouldn't mind doing that, I don't mind doing hard labour because it can't get that extreme at Woolies (can it?) and I don't have to talk to every person I see. I can talk to people, just am scared to. Of stuffing up and failing and people getting mad at me etc.
i'm the same, i felt the same way when i was looking for a job and i still feel anxious about operating for the reasons you mention (i've operated a register for five minutes in seven years, and it was five minutes too long) but yeah supermarkets have plenty of other jobs. whatever you are you will still have to talk to co-workers and to customers sometimes and sometimes it sucks. but it's easier to talk when you absolutely need to - when a customer asks you a question or when you need to ask someone what to do. this is good practice and i think you will stop freaking out about it pretty early on.

i wouldn't mention social anxiety in the interview, just say you're a quiet person, you like to get on with your work etc. that you're female won't make the slightest difference, everyone works everywhere in my experience.

you will definitely screw up but it's more about how you deal with it. even though you'll probably want to just leave it and hope no one notices, things will work out better if you ask for help. if you don't understand something, say you don't understand it. if you don't get something the first time, ask to be shown again, and again. in a couple weeks you'll know the job and everyone will forget that you were a spaz in the beginning, whereas if you don't get help you'll be bad forever. talking will make you anxious at the time but think of it as avoiding further anxiety later.

this is the same for any job by the way. good luck!

Xantios

HSC
N/A
Regarding uniforms: is it ok to wear fully black jackets with no logos that aren't Woolworths but have hoods??
Some of the our nightfill team wear black zipup hoodies in the cold weather. As long as there aren't any large logos/stripes I wouldn't imagine it would be a problem. Then again, with the anti-social hours I work I don't tend to see that many customers! :lol:

Xantios

HSC
N/A
I started off in longlife during the day, then I started doing nightfill and later became a nightfill manager. We have male checkout operators, and female longlife workers and nightfill. Gender stereotypes need not apply.

Nightfill is probably the most physical job one can do at Woolworths, but it's straight forward. At the age of 16 you would be too young for that, so being a longlife assistant is probably what you are thinking of. There's a bit of lifting, but it's not too hard. In terms of the customer interaction you would have people asking where things are, or asking if we had any of a particular product that is empty on the shelf generally. That sort of customer interaction is straight forward for the most part. You would, in all likelihood, still need to be trained for checkouts though. When it gets particularly busy they call 'priority one' which means that staff who are checkout trained go and help for usually ten to fifteen minutes during the rush periods. In our store most staff, other than nightfill, have been checkout trained.

I wouldn't worry about making mistakes, it can happen to anyone. Training is provided for a reason. If you do make a mistake, just tell someone. It won't be the end of the world, and it's a lot better to just admit that an error was made. That way it can be fixed up and everyone can go on happy. :) Hope this was of some help, anyway.

nanakid12

HSC
The daily grids (that front end uses) are so terrible. Who the hell was the pilot stores! How did they let those style of rosters get through the pilot process!!!
Errrgh
I think we were one of the pilot stores. CSM complains about those grids allllll the time.

PM me your email address if you want, I made up new grids which you can write it in. So much easier.

I would say no if it has a hood.

Also. I've stepped down as duty manager, got a job in emergency telecommunications. I leave in a couple of weeks. It's been nice knowing you all :)
Good luck mat-e! :)

Hi guys, I'm in a little bit of a rut at the moment. I'm 16, want to work at Woolworths (or anywhere but this is convenient) and my mum knows an employee that said he could apparently offer me a position if I really wanted one- sounds sneaky and I don't even know if that's allowed but yeah, he told me that he could get me an interview and I had to bring my resume. I guess from what I've seen I skip the waiting process and get to be interviewed.

I want a job because I'm pretty worried about my future and the unemployment rate and such. Thing is, I have terrible people skills. And I know that for all jobs-or the majority anyway, you need to be equipped with good people skills, be social and outgoing etc. I have social anxiety so I don't know if anyone can understand how difficult it is. I don't know if it would make things worse if I applied for the job and told my interviewer about it rather than fake being outgoing and social to survive.

Before I started working at Woolies, I was the most shy, awkward kid who really lacked confidence. I wouldn't say I had social anxiety, but after working here for so long, I can definately say it has helped me talk to people and be more social. I am still quiet and shy, but I don't feel nervous or scared about talking to people like I used to. I started as a cashier, and have been in that role for nearly five years (as of next month :D) so it's probably because of having to talk to customers that it really helped.

Obviously everyone's different. There's a girl who worked on registers who moved to produce because she hated it. And our CSM is male, who used to work in produce.

If you are employed in long life, or produce, you may also be trained for registers in case they need extra people to serve when it gets busy. It's really an easy job, just say hello and engage the customer in small talk about random stuff for a bit. And if anything gets out of hand, just call the supervisor.

But yeah, it will be beneficial for you, no doubt. And great experience of the workplace.

Good luck!

aceer

HSC
Hey guys

So I worked last Monday (30th of September) and got paid for that shift today but I only got my normal rate. shouldn't I have been paid penalty rates considering it was a public holiday in Canberra and I work in a woolies store in Canberra?

BSammy

HSC
Hey guys

So I worked last Monday (30th of September) and got paid for that shift today but I only got my normal rate. shouldn't I have been paid penalty rates considering it was a public holiday in Canberra and I work in a woolies store in Canberra?
what's the code on your payslip?
is it all 6A or is there a line of PA ?

DinoDinosaur

HSC
Hi I've just got a quick question. I wanted to quit my job as a casual stock replenisher and wasn't sure if I need to see my team manager or the store manager about it, also do I need to hand in a resignation letter? Thanks!

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Hi I've just got a quick question. I wanted to quit my job as a casual stock replenisher and wasn't sure if I need to see my team manager or the store manager about it, also do I need to hand in a resignation letter? Thanks!
you need to tell your line manager, letter goes to store manager

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
All just M2 CAS21ORD, I'm a casual btw
ring up the lady in the cash office and ask, usually everything is done correctly

do you know if your mates got the 2.4 (thereabouts) penalty rate?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)