Do you think the pace of immigration should be slowed downed (2 Viewers)

Do you think the pace of immigration should be slowed downed

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think the pace of immigration should be slowed down to enhance social cohesion?
Rupert Murdoch says Australia must embrace immigrants to boost economy
Source: The Guardian
Rupert Murdoch says Australia needs to embrace high immigration to add dynamism to the economy, enhance its human capital and create strong bonds with the rest of the world.
The News Corp chairman decried a "self-defeating" immigration debate in the United States and pointed to opportunity for Australia in embracing diversity and opening the doors to all comers – provided cultural relativism was resisted and the newcomers were willing to "abide by our way of life".
The positive intervention on immigration was a significant theme of a lecture the media mogul delivered at the Lowy Institute in Sydney on Thursday evening.
"We think of the United States as an immigrant nation, and rightly so," Murdoch told his audience in Sydney.
"But the percentage of foreign-born in the United States, a country currently racked by a self-defeating debate over immigration policy, is just about 12%. Incredibly, Australia is double that," he said.
"That means Australia is on the way to becoming what may be the world's most diverse nation. This is an incredible competitive advantage.
"A nation as small as ours will increasingly depend on trade. And the more people we have with ties to other parts of the world, the greater our advantage when we seek trade relationships with these nations."
Murdoch declared the 21st century "Australia's for the taking" – and contended Australia must be an economy that thrives on disruption. He talked about significant structural adjustments within his own publishing business, including the relentless rise of mobile communications, replacing the old ways of print newspapers and the distribution of news products.
Reality, once embraced, could be made rewarding, Murdoch reasoned.
"It means we are always forced to think outside the box," he said.
"The disruptive forces and the world economy today are as relentless as they are remorseless. Once we embrace that reality, we can make sure they are rewarding."
The lecture was strong on the Murdoch anti-elitist ethos. He suggested Australia had come a way to moving past the "stuffy narrow-minded elitism" of old, and had thrown off the "faux class war that has been served by contemporary politicians grasping for a theme" – a reference to the previous Labor government.
Proof of evolution beyond Australia's "primeval prejudices" stemming back to our colonial origins was the rise of Catholics in the Liberal party, with the prime minister, Tony Abbott, "part of the proof".
"The heart of Australia today is our belief in a fair shake for all," Murdoch said.
"No man or woman is above any other. We applaud achievement and innovation."
People prepared to exploit their talents and strive for success were the "essence of an egalitarian meritocracy". Australia, he said, was on the cusp of becoming just that, "with more than a touch of libertarianism" – qualities which were "rare and valuable in this new world".
Murdoch championed a free press, lawyers who did not interfere, and strong private institutions – and talked up the virtues of trade, technology and free markets.
He endorsed the Abbott government's focus on Jakarta in terms of foreign policy, while insisting America remained Australia's most important ally.
Murdoch argued for a good relationship with China even as "[we] guard ourselves against a possible economic contraction there".
But he said Australia had to be ambitious at a time of great global transformation, including the rise of the middle class in our region. And Australia had to realise it was people who defined the future, not governments or allies.
"Let's stop thinking about Australia's place in the world as defined by its alliances, by its trading partners, by its government," Murdoch said.
"We will fight regulations that hamper growth and economic development. But it is the Australian people who will, collectively define this nation's destiny.
"We must be leaders, not followers. We must be egalitarian, not elitist. We must be victors and not victims. It won't be easy but the Australia that I know and love has never shied from a challenge."

Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Australia's population to grow to 42 million by 2050, modelling shows
Source: News Ltd
AUSTRALIA'S population will reach 42 million by 2050, six million more than the Federal Government's target, if migration, fertility and life expectancy continue at today's pace.
Modelling by Australia's Centre for Population and Urban Research warned of a doubling of the population in 40 years, which it also claimed would be unsustainable, and significantly outstrips Federal Government targets.
Cities such as Sydney and Melbourne would evolve into mega high rise metropolises on the scale of Hong Kong, with a drastic deterioration in quality of life for its inhabitants, it warned.
The research conducted by Professor Bob Birrell, one of the country's leading demographers at Monash University, said Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's target of 36 million people would be overshot based on the current net migration rate of 298,000 a year.
Under a business as usual scenario, Sydney would have a population of more than 7.5 million and Melbourne upwards of 6.5 million and both would need to be redesigned to cope.
Treasury modelling contained in the third Intergenerational Report forecast a population of 35.9 million by 2050 but assumed returning to a net migration rate of 180,000 a year.
Professor Birrell's modelling based on Treasury figures showed a continued rate of 298,000 would produce a population of 42.3 million based on greater life expectancies and lower birth rate of 1.9, as well as immigration. The workforce would be 22 million.
A lower net migration rate of 125,000 - the average from 1996 to 2007 - would result in a national population of 32 million. Professor Birrell warned the Federal Government had to return to a figure of 180,000 a year from existing higher levels if it wanted to avoid overshooting its own target of 36 million.
But even at these lower rates, Professor Birrell warned that cities such as Sydney and Melbourne would need to be completely redesigned. "We have to get down to that figure quickly, in the next few years," he said yesterday. "It's to do with economies of scale - to refit a city is an enormous exercise."
Opposition Immigration spokesman Scott Morrison said it was time there was a rational debate about population growth.
"It is clear Rudd's idea of a big Australia seems to start at 36 million. Where it ends, we simply don't know," he said.
"By contrast the Coalition is keen to engage in what is a sustainable growth path for Australia and engage with business, the community and the environment lobby and plan our migration intakes appropriately."
While Mr Rudd had originally suggested that 36 million was a "target" population for Australia, his newly-appointed Population Minister Tony Burke has been keen to backtrack and claim it is merely a forecast.
"A figure of 36 million is a very high level and vastly higher than most people imagined until the [report] was released. Imagine 42 million," Professor Birrell said. "It would involve a serious deterioration in quality of life and a fundamental change to the way people live."

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you think increased immigration will destroy our quality of life and destroys social cohesion?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
lol what a mindfuck for leftists

"murdoch says more immigration"

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
lol what a mindfuck for leftists

"murdoch says more immigration"

The Guardian is pro immigration while conservatives have become anti immigration. This is because they want to preserve traditional values. Just look at David Cameron (UK Conservative Prime Minister) in the politics of United Kingdom.

Last edited:

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
david cameron is not anti immigration
You truly are pathetic Sylvia B you don't understand UK politics. Don't you know that almost everyone in the Western world understands the future of the Western world depends on Multicultural Immigration? David Cameron has repeatedly said that Multicultural Immigration has "failed the people of the UK." David Cameron brandished to voting public "let's get immigration in the tens of thousands rather than hundreds of thousands." David Cameron also branded Muslim immigrants as presumptive terror suspects especially from Pakistan which was "exporting terrorism to the UK."

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Look at the opinion poll on Bored of Studies 75 per cent of members/ users want to slow down the pace of immigration. Tells us that the future leaders of tomorrow are social conservatives who believe the pace of immigration is too high.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
.Don't you know that almost everyone in the Western world understands the future of the Western world depends on Multicultural Immigration?
"multicultural Immigration" means there won't be a future for the western world

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Look at the opinion poll on Bored of Studies 75 per cent of members/ users want to slow down the pace of immigration. Tells us that the future leaders of tomorrow are social conservatives who believe the pace of immigration is too high.
Uh.... Only 4 people voted so far.... If you did business ... The data is not normally distributed.

Also "downed" isn't a word, "slow down" should be the correct grammatical terms....

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
"Multicultural immigrants" have built countries so shit they dont even want to stay in them themselves

gee im sure they're going to help western countries

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Uh.... Only 4 people voted so far.... If you did business ... The data is not normally distributed.

Also "downed" isn't a word, "slow down" should be the correct grammatical terms....
I stand corrected by you Mr Nerd. I haven't studied business statistics yet. But I now the average punters on this site are pro sustainable immigration. Would you want to invite every desperate lot from the rest of the world to settle in Australia. I would think not. Let's call a spade a spade.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
There's a concept called the "New White Nationalism" which the real social dividend after the Western allies embraced Multiculturalism. What it means is making Non Europeans behave like Europeans in countries such as Australia.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
European Australians says that Multiculturalism means Anti White. As Oscar Wilde once said "the truth is not so simple." Take it from me I immigrated to Australia from Sri Lanka. My dad was a veterinary surgeon and contributed immensely to Sri Lanka. I am pro Western values and identify myself as a right wing Australian Neo Conservative. I did a "What's your politics" quiz on News Ltd it said I am 98 per cent Tony Abbott. The quiz says I am more Liberal Party than ALP. It also says I am a conservative and not a progressive.

asparagus

HSC
N/A
its kinda silly to compare the UK to any other country.

The UK people are anti immigration because of the european union. The UK and sweden are the only european countries that have no immigration quotas within the EU meaning that when dodgy countries like romania join the eu they all want to move there.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
There's a concept called the "New White Nationalism" which the real social dividend after the Western allies embraced Multiculturalism. What it means is making Non Europeans behave like Europeans in countries such as Australia.
???

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
"multicultural Immigration" means there won't be a future for the western world
Asian pride people I have plenty of it. The rise of China and India is all wonderful news. People from China and India will become the New Australians. I just hope that they integrate with Western values and respect the rule of law. I am the champion with fire in my eyes. Hear me roar.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Asian pride people I have plenty of it. The rise of China and India is all wonderful news. People from China and India will become the New Australians. I just hope that they integrate with Western values and respect the rule of law. I am the champion with fire in my eyes. Hear me roar.
jesus christ

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Just because people believe the pace of immigration should slow down, it doesn't necessarily mean they are social conservatives. (would just like to point that out)

There are many reasons for slowing down. For example, Australia won't have enough resources to sustain the country if we allow too much immigration. It is about sustainability and the future (i.e. long term goals), not just the short term prospects immigration can bring.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Do you just mean colonisation...because that has existed for many centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)