What should i combine Finance with? (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
If i want to work in finance (eg. investment advisory etc),
should i combine it with accounting or marketing?
I did poorly in the introductory accounting scraping a pass.
Marketing seems interesting.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What about economics?

Validity

HSC
What about economics?
I've heard that there's alot of mathematical models and stuff. I don't think I am a very math inclined person so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, however I did like micro and macroeconomics (From those, It was more theory and graphs). Would it still be recommended to do it?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I've heard that there's alot of mathematical models and stuff. I don't think I am a very math inclined person so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea, however I did like micro and macroeconomics (From those, It was more theory and graphs). Would it still be recommended to do it?
Finance has mathematical models as well though...

williamdaft

HSC
I want the same as you.

I prefer accounting to major with finance if I were to work in investments.

Validity

HSC
Finance has mathematical models as well though...
Yes but it is it as much as economics or roughly the same?

A lot of people are suggesting accounting, should I do it even though I am bad at it and risk bringing down my WAM?

Alkanes

HSC
What subjects are u taking this semester?

OH1995

HSC
Would Quantitative Business Analysis go well with finance? Because that's what i'm considering doing. :)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not a mathematically inclined person either and I ended up completing a degree where we used them on a regular basis.

If you're afraid to challenge yourself, I'm not sure how successful you would be doing finance considering it is also uses mathematics on a regular basis.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
did economics and it sucked ass. Wasted a whole year doing it, ended up transferring to accounting. way too theoretical and the further you delve into it the less applicable it is to real life. not to mention I'd rather know how to write a financial report than tell someone about how you think economic growth is created in an economy. accountting also gives you a fall back. no jobs in eco plenty in accounting. Each to their own though

Validity

HSC
so from all this,
I should choose something that im not really good with but compliments well with finance [accounting] over something that interests me [marketing]?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Choose marketing because you'll actually want to learn and do well in it.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Yes but it is it as much as economics or roughly the same?

A lot of people are suggesting accounting, should I do it even though I am bad at it and risk bringing down my WAM?
Roughly the same, though it depends on which area. Finance can get very mathematical and so can economics depending on what units you choose. Investments/trading is more mathematical and more on the economics side of finance rather than the accounting side (which relates more to corporate finance).

williamdaft

HSC
Even tho it doesnt relate to finance? Would this weaken my chances of getting a job
I don't think they match quite well, but it is possible. I would much rather do accounting but then it seems you dislike it, scraping a pass.. So in terms of interest, you're better off with marketing.

Alkanes

HSC
I don't think they match quite well, but it is possible. I would much rather do accounting but then it seems you dislike it, scraping a pass.. So in terms of interest, you're better off with marketing.
Tbh I don't think you can judge whether or not you like the field or not based on one subject. I am interested in economics and took some classes but didn't do very well in it. But that was just me because I was very lazy.

Validity

HSC
What about if I want to go into financial planning? I heard it would be good to have marketing skills :/

Also, a lot of websites and videos says to get a Bachelors degree (4 years), does this mean a 3 year Bachelor of Commerce degree would be frowned upon?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What about if I want to go into financial planning? I heard it would be good to have marketing skills :/

Also, a lot of websites and videos says to get a Bachelors degree (4 years), does this mean a 3 year Bachelor of Commerce degree would be frowned upon?
No, it means that the usual length of a Bachelors degree in that field is probably 4 years.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

That might be Europe/America,where their degree takes a year longer. Lmao, look at the reasoning behind what they say, don't just think because this and that says it, that you must do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)