cadetships (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
these cadetships... they only seem to be inthe hardcore accounting side of things... i mean, its lke bussines accounting or something and risk management and auditing... i have no intention of working in any of those areas but strongly wish to purseue a career in finance/commerce....

just say i hadmy choice of any cadetship, but i strongly wanted to do finance.. should i still accept the cadetship but major in whateva i wish?

how much do cadets get "paid", lets say for the big firms like ernst and young and PWC or kpmg???

because you work there quite a lot? are the payouts significant? like over 10, 15 thousand a year?

this would be one of two reasons i would apply for a cadetship... just for the money... and the other reason would be the fact that most cadets get offfered a job in the company they work for, so if ur working for PWC!!! lol

anyway, please help!

thank u

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i think you mean co-op
when you do co-op you do work experience and you don't get paid for it

not every major has a co-op program and there are many restrictions to the program

if you want money you would want to apply for a scholarship

yes if you can get yourself into a co-op program, aswell as finish your degree with the co-op program you will easily find a job in any company

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
cadetship pays more than coop and it increases with respect to the number of years you have worked.... dunno the specifics....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
cadetships are crap
friends who have done it have dropped out of it and returend to full time uni

basically, you work fulltime (on shit pay, much less than graduates and you do the same work), and you do uni part time at night - so basically you have no life

its very demanding, but challenging though
and yes, the rewards are good (ie job when u graduate)

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
if you want to do a cadetship for the money, dont bother
if u wanna do it for 'experience' and job security in the future, then go for it
put it this way, take all the time u work at your respective partner, and work at maccas for that time, you'd prolli be making more money at maccas

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
normally cadetships pay around 23K?

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
Originally posted by redruM
normally cadetships pay around 23K?
keep in mind thats 23k a year taxed workin 40 (+) hour weeks
and then part time uni on top of it
some ppl can do it...i...cant :)

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
yeh money wise, its isnt the greatest of options, but like you said, about the experience, it would help a fair bit.
i would imagine it would also help in the uni work you would do, ie- accounting subjects.

aditya

HSC
Firstly, thank you all for your wonderful insights, cleared up alot.

money wise i think its a great option...

you work full time only for the first two years... it is demanding... but first year uni in accounting shouldn't be so tough for me because firstly, i am sharp in commerce/economics and secondly i have done accoutning at tafe...

I recently talked to a guy hu got a UTS scholarship and a cadetship offer... he chose the scholarship but said that the cadteship he got offered paid 24thousand a year! starting...

thts first yr uni? thats dman good m8ey, and he added to that... it is reviewed every 6months... so most likely itll go up a thousand or two....

so those of you that have said its not worth working... u surely have to agree that it is definately worth it? Who cares what work you do... your getting paid a shit load! and getting a guranteed job wen u leave :S or in aVERY good position to get a job in a better firm even, wen u graduate...

so yeh... i think the cadetship is good if you can get it, but i think i'd rather take the co-op scholarship... simply because your not tied to one particular firm, you get paid enough... AND its a better lifestyle

any further thoughts people? please respond?

furthermore, your not the only ones with the cadetship :eek:

fitz33

HSC
if you get a co-op, take it over a cadetship anyday
you get payed $13,500 a year (at unsw), have a fucking good lifestyle and should probably end up with a few good job offers at the end
beats a cadetship hands down

B

Bambul

Scholarships are also tax free (though it doesn't make a huge difference unless you work enough to have bumped into the $21,600 30% bracket IMO)

fitz33

HSC
Originally posted by aditya
yes... but wat if u dunt?
i dont know anything about cadetships sorry, so i cant really help with them
all i know is there a fuckload of work, ruin your uni life but you do get money and a job so yeah..i guess it depends what you value more

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Originally posted by fitz33
i dont know anything about cadetships sorry, so i cant really help with them
Originally posted by fitz33

all i know is there a fuckload of work, ruin your uni life but you do get money and a job so yeah..i guess it depends what you value more
lol...a little contradictory?

aditya

HSC
lol but its only liek that for the first two years... year 3 and 4 your working part time studyign full time

and if ur studying till 4 in the arvo... its nto a big deal to go work for two horus is it?

soudns like fun to be honest :D

fitz33

HSC
if you think you'd enjoy it then go for it
personally i can think of lots of things i'd rather be doing in the afternoon after uni..like drinking

aditya

HSC
haha yeh good point.. the enoying part that is, i mean i have nothign against drinking.. but wtf, everyday? id rather not

fitz33

HSC
well maybe not mondays and tuesdays :p
still things i'd rather do than work though! but i spose you have to work sometime..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)