Martin Place Hostage Situation (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Counterterrorism expert Nick O'Brien says the current security climate has turned the Sydney incident into an event receiving worldwide attention.

"If this had just been a siege-hostage situation, then really it wouldn't have gone global, but because of that black flag and because of the terrorist implications ... this is going to be the top news story all around the world.

"So that person has achieved what he wanted to do. I'm sure when he went into that cafe this morning, he had a plan and part of that plan was to get worldwide publicity for what he was about to do, and he succeeded."

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Nine News Sydney ‏@9NewsSyd 4m4 minutes ago
UPDATE: One male hostage is reportedly at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital. #SydneySiege #MartinPlace #9News

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Hope the hostages are safe. And I hope those responsible recieve punishment for there crimes.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Police have established a perimeter encompassing Hunter, Pitt, King and Phillip streets. People have been asked to stay away from the Sydney CBD, particularly Martin Place.
People who have finished work are being told to proceed home as normal.

astroman

HSC
so many cops on public trains this afternoon, not checking tickets but just slowly walking looking at every1

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
5:29pm: Sydney Theatre Company has also cancelled Monday night's performances

Confound

HSC
"If John comits a crime. John is responsible. If Mohammed commits a crime, Islam is responsible"

You should see how many looks I received just by walking through Westfield. Hope the hostages are safe. And I hope those responsible recieve punishment for there crimes.
You have to understand it's nothing personal. People are uncertain and unsure, their survival instinct kicks in and are cautious and will watch you a lot more. They know better but can't help it. Expect more of it until this dies down.

I getcha though

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
NSW Police have confirmed they are operating according to Counter Terrorism protocols, with the Counter Terrorism and Security Command in charge of this operation.

NSW Police released a statement saying they are continuing to work towards a “peaceful resolution”.

Due to operational reasons, we can’t go into exact details at present, but no one has been injured as far as we know.
We are operating according to our Counter Terrorism protocols, with our Counter Terrorism and Security Command in charge of this operation.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
upto 15 people held hostage, 5 escaped.
Source? Of 15?
Nine News Sydney ‏@9NewsSyd 4m4 minutes ago
UPDATE: One male hostage is reportedly at Sydney's St Vincent's Hospital. #SydneySiege #MartinPlace #9News
9 news talking shit. Probs some basic checkups. Standard stuff

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
UPDATE: "You really have to start looking at de-radicalisation programs, it has to be done." - Neil Ferguson #9News

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Order by Auto update: isOn (turn off)
5.41pm
06:41
A spokesman for St Vincent’s Hospital has confirmed that one male hostage is currently in emergency at the hospital in Darlinghurst, and is sitting up in bed in a “satisfactory” condition, Michael Safi reports.

Facebook
Twitter
Google plus
expand
2m ago
17:40
Among the hundreds of people who are gathering in Martin Place to watch the siege are people taking selfies and people drinking, according to tweets from Buzzfeed Oz reporter Mark Di Stefano.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
ABC reporter Lucy Carter says there have been a number of arguments over racism in the crowd of spectators, with some drinking beer as they watch the siege unfold.

"We've had people taking selfies in front of the police line ... and people riding up on bikes and walking through police cordons," she told 702 ABC Sydney.

"I've seen some pretty poor behaviour from Sydneysiders today, but some good behaviour as well."

Carter said nearby cafe owners had been handing out free water to journalists and police officers, and allowing journalists to recharge their mobile phones.by Daniel Franklin 5:37 PM

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
50s ago
17:45
Channel 10 is the third media outlet saying they have been contacted by hostages in the Lindt cafe. The hostages said the offender has two demands:

1. They want to speak with Australian prime minister, Tony Abbott.

2. They want an Isis flag brought to the cafe

Confound

HSC
How long do you guys estimate the event to go on for? I reckon it'll end around 10pm

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
hes in a coffee shop so i guess falling asleep isnt a factor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)