HSC 2015 Maths Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawaiipotato

HSC
Re: HSC 2015 2U Marathon

If v*a > 0 particle is increasing speed.
If v*a < 0 particle is decreasing in speed.
Makes intuitive sense because if v <0 it wants to travel left. If a < 0 then it wants to increase velocity in the NEGATIVE direction hence allowing it to become faster travelling left. So if v <0 and a>0 then it wants to increase velocity in the positive direction, hence making v approach zero and then positive (which is why it slows down when going left. Eventually making it stop and go right)
v*a = -2*3=-6 < 0

Last edited:

Mr_Kap

HSC

If v*a > 0 particle is increasing speed.
If v*a < 0 particle is decreasing in speed.
Makes intuitive sense because if v <0 it wants to travel left. If a < 0 then it wants to increase velocity in the NEGATIVE direction hence allowing it to become faster travelling left. So if v <0 and a>0 then it wants to increase velocity in the positive direction, hence making v approach zero and then positive (which is why it slows down)
v*a = -2*3=-6 < 0
Oh shit. I COMPLETELY FORGOT about that and it was so obvious. Luckily i did this paper today.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

qwert73

HSC

The population W of Williamtown is increasing exponentially according to the equation W =W0e^0.02 while the population H of Hectorville is decreasing exponentially according to the equation H = H0e^-0.01
If the current populations of Williamtown and Hectorville are 8000 and 12000 respectively, how long, to the nearest year, will it be before their population are the same?

rand_althor

HSC

The population W of Williamtown is increasing exponentially according to the equation W =W0e^0.02 while the population H of Hectorville is decreasing exponentially according to the equation H = H0e^-0.01
If the current populations of Williamtown and Hectorville are 8000 and 12000 respectively, how long, to the nearest year, will it be before their population are the same?

photastic

HSC

Geppetto’s wish to build Pinocchio requires 5 years of regular deposits at the beginning of every month. He decides to deposit $100 on the first month with the Pleasure Island Bank, who pays interest of 6% p.a. compounded monthly. However, Geppetto’s desire to build Pinocchio is unexpectedly hard such that at the beginning of every month Geppetto makes a deposit that is 5% less than the previous deposit. At the same time, Pleasure Island Bank decides to tax 1% of Geppetto’s balance of his account at the end of month in order for them to transform more bad boys into donkeys.

Find the balance of the account at the end of the 5th year, correct to the nearest cent.

rand_althor

HSC

Geppetto’s wish to build Pinocchio requires 5 years of regular deposits at the beginning of every month. He decides to deposit $100 on the first month with the Pleasure Island Bank, who pays interest of 6% p.a. compounded monthly. However, Geppetto’s desire to build Pinocchio is unexpectedly hard such that at the beginning of every month Geppetto makes a deposit that is 5% less than the previous deposit. At the same time, Pleasure Island Bank decides to tax 1% of Geppetto’s balance of his account at the end of month in order for them to transform more bad boys into donkeys.

Find the balance of the account at the end of the 5th year, correct to the nearest cent.
Is the answer $1531.63?

Mr_Kap

HSC

seems correct...thats what i would have done

Mr_Kap

HSC

My friend just sent me this question and for some reason i can't do it, and its really bothering me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)