HSC Physics Marathon 2013-2015 Archive (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawaiipotato

HSC
re: HSC Physics Marathon Archive

And why is A and C the same lol

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

If i used right hand grip rule for A wouldn't it mean the magnetic field goes from left to right? Allowing it to rotate clockwise too
Yep but due to the wiring orientation, the rotor will rotate anti-clockwise. Use the palm rule to determine the force on the each side of the rotor.

And why is A and C the same lol
no no no

Look carefully at the wiring on the right side. For A and C, the wiring on the right side goes in different directions, so your fingers should curl in different directions too. The same comparison can be made between B and D.

kawaiipotato

HSC

Yep but due to the wiring orientation, the rotor will rotate anti-clockwise. Use the palm rule to determine the force on the each side of the rotor.

no no no

Look carefully at the wiring on the right side. For A and C, the wiring on the right side goes in different directions, so your fingers should curl in different directions too. The same comparison can be made between B and D.
o_O stared at it and it just looks like the negative terminals go on the same end in A and C...

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC

this shit tripped me out yesterday, I got a reason to why it's B but am not sure if it's legit lol. I pretty much used the right hand grip rule on the windings to determine the polarity of the magnets, then used right hand palm rule to determine whether the side of the coil was going up or down
wot

Last edited:

atargainz

HSC

o_O stared at it and it just looks like the negative terminals go on the same end in A and C...
if you follow the wire and think about a physical image, the negative terminal for A is coming out form underneath and coming from above in C, changes your right hand grip rule

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

No-one got this one last year. Try it out now!

anomalousdecay said:

Also, what direction does the wire travel in?

Show working for formula with a simple explanation of each part (dw about getting the actual value, just worry about getting the formula).

kawaiipotato

HSC

I just realised it. I thought the main thing was that in A the right wire went under the left one twice and for C it did it twice.. didn't see that one went under and the other was over

Last edited:

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

is it BIdt/M away from G
ye

next question

State the differences in the operation of solid state and thermionic devices.

or if you are up for writing up a bit more for me to criticise:

Describe differences between solid state and thermionic devices.

atargainz

HSC

F=BIL=ma, a=ILB/m

v=u+at, u=0, v=ILBt/m

Sub t=100ms? to the right (RHPR)

- nvm got beaten to it

Last edited:
HSC

ye

next question

State the differences in the operation of solid state and thermionic devices.

or if you are up for writing up a bit more for me to criticise:

Describe differences between solid state and thermionic devices.
Alright

Solid state drives are transistor based technology which uses the semiconductors as its basis of operation. By providing current, circuits can be switched on and off to store and manipulate large amounts of data.
Thermionic devices uses the property of cathode ray tubes (the ability to for the electron to carry current when heated from the cathode) to accomplish similarly tasks.

Thermionic devices however are large, bulky, fragile and takes time to 'warm up' before usage. Thus, they cost more to maintain, uses much more power and produce large amounts of waste heat. Transistors on the other hand are small, cheap, fast, reliable and produce little heat, making it a far more attractive option for circuits.

astroman

HSC

guys what is hardest type of projectile motion question they can ask?

malcolm21

HSC
N/A

wtf is this question the answers showed 1 line of working for 4 marks, there was a 9.8 that came out of nowhere:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)