• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2016 MX2 Marathon (archive) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Re: HSC 2016 4U Marathon

Oh, the other idea I had but didn't bother to try and see if it was more viable (probably is) was to find a polynomial that very accurately approximated the square root function on some small range (Something like 1-4?) and then recursively force the input into that range.

A simple outline:

Code:
sqrt(input x)
{
    if(x < 0) throw error;
    if(x == 0) return 0;
    if(x < 1) return sqrt(4*x)/2;
    if(x > 4) return sqrt(x/4)*2;
    return minMaxPolynomial(x);
}
Where minMax was the accurate polynomial (or any other accurate, fast function) to approximate the square root of a number in the range 1 <= x <= 4.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Oh, the other idea I had but didn't bother to try and see if it was more viable (probably is) was to find a polynomial that very accurately approximated the square root function on some small range (Something like 1-4?) and then recursively force the input into that range.

A simple outline:

Code:
sqrt(input x)
{
    if(x < 0) throw error;
    if(x == 0) return 0;
    if(x < 1) return sqrt(4*x)/2;
    if(x > 4) return sqrt(x/4)*2;
    return minMaxPolynomial(x);
}
Where minMax was the accurate polynomial (or any other accurate, fast function) to approximate the square root of a number in the range 1 <= x <= 4.
A good fact to note is that on average, the number of digits of accuracy doubles with each iteration for square roots using Newton-Raphson Method.

seanieg89

HSC

After typing all that I now realise that it said n-th root not square root, but the idea would be the same, still using the Newtonian method just with the function . As for an upper bound on time units, I'm way too tired but a very weak one would be 20*time units/recursion. I also treated the numbers as having to be stored somewhere before any operations being done to them (You can't just multiply a number by itself, for example. You have to store that number in two different slots (register addresses), multiply them, then store the result somewhere in some slot.

I don't know if any of what I wrote makes any sense but I am too tired to read over it again. Yolo.
Good first idea! Newton's is indeed amazing for this purpose. However, your analysis of accuracy is a bit flawed. The n+1-th approximation being very close to the n-th approximation doesn't in itself imply that we are close to the limiting value. Picture a sequence that bunches up for a long time before having a big "jump" and converging to something else entirely.

This is not going to be the case here, but using this kind of method to "check precision" definitely requires additional justification.

You should also specify an easy way of choosing a starting value that will guarantee convergence.

(As paradoxica notes above, the degree of accuracy will roughly double with each iteration of newton's, which is why it is great. The starting value does not matter as much when you have such rapid convergence. An inequality that captures this rapid convergence is they main thing I am looking for in an answer.)

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Good first idea! Newton's is indeed amazing for this purpose. However, your analysis of accuracy is a bit flawed. The n+1-th approximation being very close to the n-th approximation doesn't in itself imply that we are close to the limiting value. Picture a sequence that bunches up for a long time before having a big "jump" and converging to something else entirely.

This is not going to be the case here, but using this kind of method to "check precision" definitely requires additional justification.

You should also specify an easy way of choosing a starting value that will guarantee convergence.

(As paradoxica notes above, the degree of accuracy will roughly double with each iteration of newton's, which is why it is great. The starting value does not matter as much when you have such rapid convergence. An inequality that captures this rapid convergence is they main thing I am looking for in an answer.)
Refer to Cambridge Year 12 3U for a question which captures the inequality, by forcing you to deduce that the 20th approximation of the square root of three is accurate to over 1 million decimal places, starting from the greatest integer less than the square root of 3

Last edited:

seanieg89

HSC

Refer to Cambridge Year 12 3U for a question which captures the inequality, by forcing you to deduce that the 20th approximation of the square root of three is accurate to over 1 million decimal places, starting from the greatest integer less than the square root of 3
Am well aware of how to estimate the error in Newton's myself lol, am posing this as a question to HS students.

Don't have a copy of that book on me so I cannot speak for how rigorous the method in that question is. Even if it does things properly though, I highly recommend students try this problem without being walked through it by a textbook question.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

For anyone interested, this is the sort of minimax polynomial I was talking about. I made this one through Remez' algorithm for the range 1 < x < 4.
This can be easily extended to any degree, and makes deriving the error term quite simple.

For those who don't know, Remez' algorithm is this:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Should there be i's in the exponents (i.e. complex exponentials)? Otherwise there's not much point thinking of them as vectors, is there? (Haven't thought much about the Q.)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Well technically speaking, it's not just the fact that the product is a real number that is significant, but rather that this product is equal to the modulus-squared (of the ω), but correct method, well done :).

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC

Well technically speaking, it's not just the fact that the product is a real number that is significant, but rather that this product is equal to the modulus-squared (of the ω), but correct method, well done :).
that was a deceivingly simple question, completely overlooked the basic concept

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

I'm not quite sure where to get from where I was at but this is what I did:

Looking at the result on wolframalpha, I am fairly certain it just , but I'm not sure how to simplify the expression I've got. I tried to rationalise the denominator but that just made the numerator really messy and didn't seem to lead anywhere.

hedgehog_7

HSC

The ellipse e has equation x^2/100 + y^2/75 = 1

Find the equation of the circle that is tangential to the ellipse at P (5,7.5) and Q (5,7.5)

Drsoccerball

HSC

The ellipse e has equation x^2/100 + y^2/75 = 1

Find the equation of the circle that is tangential to the ellipse at P (5,7.5) and Q (5,7.5)
Firstly you should not use 'e' as a way of describing an Ellipse it can be confused with the eccentricity.
Also P and Q are the same point ?

hedgehog_7

HSC

The ellipse a has equation x^2/100 + y^2/75 = 1

Find the equation of the circle that is tangential to the ellipse at P (5,-7.5) and Q (5,7.5)

Last edited:

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Looking at the result on wolframalpha, I am fairly certain it just , but I'm not sure how to simplify the expression I've got. I tried to rationalise the denominator but that just made the numerator really messy and didn't seem to lead anywhere.
What did I say? Consider the VECTORS

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC

The ellipse a has equation x^2/100 + y^2/75 = 1

Find the equation of the circle that is tangential to the ellipse at P (5,-7.5) and Q (5,7.5)
Let the equation of the circle be (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2

Differentiating the circle equation implicitly gives dy/dx = (a-x)/(y-b)
Differentiating the ellipse equation implicitly gives dy/dx = -3x/4y

These derivative must be equal at the points given, giving two equations:
2a-b = 2.5
2a + b = 2.5
Hence a = 5/4, b = 0

Substituting into the equation of the circle along with one of the points it passes through allows us to solve for the radius:
(5-5/4)^2 + (7.5)^2 = r^2
1125/16= r^2

Hence the equation of the circle is (x-5/4)^2+ y^2 = 1125/16

Sorry for lack of LaTeX, I'm on my phone and I got lazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)