2017ers Preliminary Chit Chat Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
The LAT (Law Admissions Test) is only conducted for UNSW students, and as far as I'm aware of, is basically the saviour for if you narrowly miss 99.7. It is essential for any 2016 HSC student to undertake, but naturally if you mess up a bit of it and get 99.7+ you still have a very high chance of going in.

As for the UMAT for medicine, USyd does not endorse the necessity of such results http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/study/md/double-degrees.php , rather as InteGrand has indicated it is in fact based off achieving that exact 99.95 ATAR. And as far as my knowledge goes, USyd is the best university for medicine. However, this is open to debate.

To enter UNSW medicine, the ATAR is reduced to 99.90, however as indicated above, entry into medicine is based on ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: Interview; ATAR; UMAT result.

But as an aside, just on the personal note despite having chosen the sciences and maths I personally would do LAW over medicine if I was forced to do either, and satisfied both criteria. Just the thought of entering the judiciary system appeals far more to anything I see in medicine (although optometry is adequate).
Yeah, some people can't understand that people don't share their shallow petty materialistic values.

[sarcasm]*gasp* WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT?!?!?!?![/sarcasm]
Keep in mind that just cause some people are dumb doesn't mean everyone are. The vibe I'm getting off your posts is partly people being dumb but also partly the fields actually "suck" and should be avoided.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
Keep in mind that just cause some people are dumb doesn't mean everyone are. The vibe I'm getting off your posts is partly people being dumb but also partly the fields actually "suck" and should be avoided.
The fields aren't inherently bad. It's the kind of stuck up people who enter them that degrades it. I have nothing personal against medical science.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The LAT (Law Admissions Test) is only conducted for UNSW students, and as far as I'm aware of, is basically the saviour for if you narrowly miss 99.7. It is essential for any 2016 HSC student to undertake, but naturally if you mess up a bit of it and get 99.7+ you still have a very high chance of going in.

As for the UMAT for medicine, USyd does not endorse the necessity of such results http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/study/md/double-degrees.php , rather as InteGrand has indicated it is in fact based off achieving that exact 99.95 ATAR. And as far as my knowledge goes, USyd is the best university for medicine. However, this is open to debate.

To enter UNSW medicine, the ATAR is reduced to 99.90, however as indicated above, entry into medicine is based on ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: Interview; ATAR; UMAT result.

But as an aside, just on the personal note despite having chosen the sciences and maths I personally would do LAW over medicine if I was forced to do either, and satisfied both criteria. Just the thought of entering the judiciary system appeals far more to anything I see in medicine (although optometry is adequate).

If you can't make it in med can't you take the "long" way as in the "long long" way? (more than 7 years)

leehuan

HSC
Law DEFINITELY has no interview.

If you can't make it in med can't you take the "long" way as in the "long long" way? (more than 7 years)
Postgraduate options are avoided by people who are more interested in getting in their field as opposed to long term study. Those tediously long paths you suggest are for those that truly have the passion for the field.

If person X was a person biased into the "two top fields" however, they'd just take law and depending on situation, fail and become a _______.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Law DEFINITELY has no interview.

Postgraduate options are avoided by people who are more interested in getting in their field as opposed to long term study. Those tediously long paths you suggest are for those that truly have the passion for the field.

If person X was a person biased into the "two top fields" however, they'd just take law and depending on situation, fail and become a _______.
Can you do postgraduate med at usyd if you don't get 99.95 or actuarial studies if you don't get 97.50?

leehuan

HSC
Can you do postgraduate med at usyd if you don't get 99.95 or actuarial studies if you don't get 97.50?
It starts getting based off your WAM not your ATAR

I'm pretty sure USyd uses the WAM but if they use GPA then that

With undergrad actuarial without 97.50 though, you could get bonus points from duke of Edinburgh, school captain, AMEB music 8th grade, national+ level sport etc

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
It starts getting based off your WAM not your ATAR

I'm pretty sure USyd uses the WAM but if they use GPA then that

With undergrad actuarial without 97.50 though, you could get bonus points from duke of Edinburgh, school captain, AMEB music 8th grade, national+ level sport etc
Do medicine students get those breaks other students gets (like the 3 month summer break)?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Lol wth. I was told that medicine students start uni in January not February like everyone else

What are the differences between UNSW and usyd med other than that usyd has a stronger medicine faculty and that it's a 7 year degree?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Lol wth. I was told that medicine students start uni in January not February like everyone else

What are the differences between UNSW and usyd med other than that usyd has a stronger medicine faculty and that it's a 7 year degree?
UNSW is undergrad degree and USYD is a postgrad degree

r4id3r

HSC
Hi all, I'm r4id3r.
I'm taking Adv Eng, Ext Eng, Adv Maths, Bio, Chem, Anc History and Drama.
Good luck for Year 11!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)