List of Techniques (1 Viewer)

7bonita7

mushroom_head said:
"this suggests... " or "this indicates..." or something like that. .
k so... we have "demonstrates" "this shows" "this reveals" "this displays" "this designates" "this signifies" (sorry cant spell)
umm thats all i can think of. and look they wont care if you use the same thing, i know it sounds ridiculous to you when you read over it but thats cause its your own work.
so just chillax
goodluck ;)

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
here is a list of effects that may occur as a result of being subjected to the craft of a composer: (hope these are what you are after...)

emphasises
enthrals
exemplifies
focuses
reflects
conveys
stuns
contrasts
stimulates
foreshadows
confuses
manoeuvres
symbolises
represents
entertains
stirs
reinforces
demonstrates
clarifies
explains
creates
perplexes
manipulates
signifies
mimics
troubles
confronts
informs
educates
moves
suggests
shocks
proves
add
justifies
amuses
angers
soothes

hope that is enough to keep you from repeating yourself for a while (although that is a language technique!!).

disco

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shuter

"studies show that"
"consumer focus groups agree that"
"our best testing indicates that"
"market trends forcast that"
"9/10 students agree that"
"my personal trainer states, and my doctor agrees that"

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
you underline the names of all your texts.. even if they are movies

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
surely those ones can keep you occupied for a while.. and good point the exam is tomorrow. alright by popular demand ill add a few more (but this better be worth a rep ;) )

authenticates
enchants
moderates
sympathises
alters
explains
positions
exposes

ther hope your happy (and my rep count increase dramatically... hehe)

and a personal one for shuter:
"disco_dave's bowl of intellengence leads me to believe...." HA

Ziff

HSC
N/A
• Alliteration – repetition of sounds at the beginning of words
• Allusion – refer to or quote a powerful text/source that people already know
• Assonance – same but with vowels and not necessarily at the beginning of words
• Atmosphere – also known as mood/impression
• Attitude – ideas, opinions, assertions on matters
• Audience – who will respond (think not forced into it as we are)
• Bias – favouring one thing/person over another
• Cadence – inflection of the voice
• Colloquial – informal language, conversational, slang
• Compare/Contrast – look at more than one text and point out differences
• Connotations
• Consonance – as above, with consonants
• Context – background, situation etc
• Diction
• Effective – whether the text has worked (in terms of purpose/effect)
• Emotive language – appeals to emotions
• Enjambment – poetic device, when a sentence is continued on the next line with no pause (seen in Coleridge)
• Euphemism – a word or phrase substituting one which may be considered too direct e.g. “birds and bees” v. sex
• Facial expression
• Filming techniques
o Angles – up (superior), down (inferior), same (neutral)
o Body language
o CGI
o Cinematography
o Contrasts in colour
o Costume
o Editing/Transitions – cut (speed up), dissolve (dramatic pause), fade (major change), defocus (slows pace), wipe (certain genres)
o Framing – boundaries of the image incl. aspect ratio
o Lighting
o Mise-en-scene
o Montage
o Movement
o Sound Effects
o Timing
o Visual Effects​
• Formal language – precise, correct, often harsh or impersonal
• Humour
• Hyperbole/minimisation – over exaggeration/understating
• Idiom – a style of expression peculiar grammatically and often identified with certain groups or languages e.g. English phrases such as “to keep tabs on”
• Impression conveyed – you ought to mention this, as in, what you feel is brought across by the composer
• Juxtaposition – placing two opposing things side by side, good for conflict
• Lists of three – three-part structures as in Lincoln’s speech, very memorable
• Metaphor – Implicit comparison though designating one thing as another e.g. “in a world of hurt” or “a sea of troubles”
• Objective/Subjective tone
• Onomatopoeia – *bang*
• Persuasive – how well the writer can change your views (propaganda)
• Punny headline
• Purpose – desired result
• Register – use of vocabulary for a particular purpose/to particular people
• Repetition/Parallel Sentence Structure – repeating the same phrase or words/particularly at the beginning of a number of sentences
• Rhetorical question – questions which are silently answered in the mind of the audience
• Rhythm/Rhyme – should be self evident
• Sensory imagery – Words which invoke images e.g. warm dusty trail etc
• Simile – A “like” or “as” statement comparing two essentially unlike things
• Speculate – engage in reasoning based on inconclusive evidence (i.e. BSing)
• Stanza – grouping of lines in a poem
• Structure – how is the argument set out? Is it logical? Stream-of-consciousness?
• Style – what are the distinguishing characteristics of the work?
• Symbolism – using an object or sentence to explain or represent something else
• Tone – attitude presented, choice of language

Kitaiko

I'm quite sure it's more than just the word order. I was only using the programming language as an example, as it's so clear. Syntax of a language refers to the rules for forming admissible sentences.

e.g.

I do not know where my dogs have gone. Abides by the syntax of the English language.

I do not know where my dogs are at. Violates the English syntax, as it ends the sentence with a preposition.

I do not know where my dog's have gone. Violates the English syntax, as it has an apostrophe in an illegal position.

By your definition, syntax is a technique. But by my definition I don't think it is.

Last edited:

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Kitaiko said:
I'm quite sure it's more than just the word order. I was only using the programming language as an example, as it's so clear. Syntax of a language refers to the rules for forming admissible sentences.

e.g.

I do not know where my dogs have gone. Abides by the syntax of the English language.

I do not know where my dogs are at. Violates the English syntax, as it ends the sentence with a preposition.

I do not know where my dog's have gone. Violates the English syntax, as it has an apostrophe in an illegal position.

By your definition, syntax is a technique. But by my definition I don't think it is.
Syntax can be broken as a technique.

E.g. "Where my hoes at?" - It's colloquial and stylised.

A lot of songs and poetry wreak havoc with proper syntax for their own purposes and means, this is why it's a technique.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
A total list (I can edit it if needs be)

adds
alters
amuses
angers
authenticates
clarifies
confronts
confuses
connotes
contrasts
contributes
conveys
creates
demonstrates
designates
displays
educates
elucidates
emphasises
enchants
entertains
enthralls
exemplifies
explains
exposes
focuses
foreshadows
highlights
implies
indicates
informs
insinuates
justifies
manipulates
manoeuvres
mimics
moderates
moves
perplexes
positions
proves
reflects
reinforces
represents
reveals
shocks
shows
soothes
signifies
stimulates
stirs
suggests
symbolises
sympathises
troubles

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
What do you call the technique where you imply that something is going to happen in the future in texts?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
List of English Techniques and Vocabulary

I have found a list of english techniques that people might like to refer to when analysing texts. There are 20 pages of them, but you dont need to remember them all off by heart, but if you want to get into the top band, i reccomend you use the ones that people seldom hear of :)
cheers,
kimmeh :)

List of film techniques! Thanks heaps to Gummy Bear :D
Gummy_bear said:
So many people are asking for film techniques, yet they forget about google!

i searched 'film techniques' and came up with this wonderful website, wikipedia.

here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_technique

you can click on each different technique and it will explain each one.

Please refer to this before you ask for techniques. Only post if you need more info than is provided on this website.

Allternitively, you can ask your teacher for a list, they have to have one coz they teach them!

Hope this helps.

also suggest this site:
Downloads - PocketBasics.com

and check out the 'Transitional Words (2 pages)'
or Key Essay Words (1 page)
Say:
-Add
-Allege
-Answer
-Articulate
-Assert
-Assume
-Aver
-Comment
-Communicate
-Contend
-Convey
-Declaim
-Declare
-Divulge
-State
-Remark
-Observe
-Mention
-Note
-Respond
-Maintain
-Insist
-Profess
-Opine
-Verbalise
-Reseal
-Impart
-Disclose
-Imply
-Suggest
-Recite
-Repeat
-Orate
-Indicate
-Predict
-Speculate
-Surmise
-Imagine
-Presume
-Hypothesis

Show:
-Display
-Exhibit
-Reveal
-Convey
-Express
-Communicate
-Disclose
-Demonstrate
-Explain
-Describe
-Illustrate
-Establish

Reflect:
-Mirror
-Echo
-Parallel
-Correspond

Hide:
-Conceal
-Obscure
-Cloud
-Disguise
-Mask
-Suppress
-Marginalise

Encapsulate:
-Capture
-Express
-Contain
-Envelop
-Summarise
Highlight:
-Foreground
-Underline
-Accentuate
-Stress
-Emphasise
-Amplify

Embody:
-Personify
-Manifest
-Symbolise
-Represent
-Express
-Epitomise
-Typify
-Exemplify
-Incorporate
-Include
-Contain
-Encompass
-Integrate
-
Predict:
-Anticipate
-Foreshadow
-Envisage
-Envision

Copy:
-Reproduce
-Replicate
-Emulate
-Mimic

Point of View:
-Opinion
-Belief
-Attitude
-Perspective
Portray:
-Present
-Render
-Depict
-Characterise

Perspective:
-Position
-Stance
-Interpretation

Same:
-Equivalent
-Corresponding
-Parallel
-Consistent
-Comparable (to)
-Corresponding
-In the same way
-Analogous (with)

Opposite:
-On the other hand
-Contrasting
-In contrast to
-Conflicting
-Challenge
-Dispute
-Contrary
-Contradictory
-Incompatible
-Irreconcilable
-Antithesis
-Antithetical
-At variance with
-Divergent
-Dissimilar
-Antagonistic
-Disparate
-Disparity
Here is a list of literary techniques that can be used for essays and/or short answers. I know there are thousands of other techniques but I've just picked out the important ones which can be used for the HSC. Enjoy!

Allegory: A narrative that serves as an extended metaphor. Allegories are often written in the form of fables, parables, poems, stories and almost any other style or genre. The main purpose of an allegory is to tell a story that has both literal and figurative meanings.

Alliteration: The repetition of similar sounds, usually consonants, at the beginning of words. For example, Robert Frost’s poem “Out, out—” contains the alliterative phrase “sweet-scented stuff.”

Allusion: A reference within a literary work to a historical, literary, or biblical character, place, or event. For example, the title of William Faulkner’s novel The Sound and the Fury alludes to a line from Shakespeare’s Macbeth.

Assonance: The repetition of vowel sounds in a sequence of nearby words. For example, the line “The monster spoke in a low mellow tone” (from Alfred, Lord Tennyson’s poem “The Lotos-Eaters”) contains assonance in its repetition of the “o” sound.

Caricature: A description or characterization that exaggerates or distorts a character’s prominent features, usually for purposes of mockery. For example, a cartoon of a gaunt Abraham Lincoln with a giant top hat, a very scraggly beard, and sunken eyes could be considered a caricature.

Cliché: An expression, such as “turn over a new leaf,” that has been used and reused so many times that it has lost its expressive power.

Connotation: As association that comes along with a particular word. Connotations relate not to a word’s actual meaning, or denotation, but rather to the ideas or qualities that are implied by that word. For e.g. ‘gold’ – greed, luxury or avarice, or high value, such as in ‘worth her weight in gold’.

Contrast: When the difference between aspects within a text are emphasized to make a point.

Direct speech: Dialogue or extracts of conversation that are placed within a prose text.

Ellipses: A punctuation device that uses three full stops (…) at the end of a line to suggest a continuation of a thought or idea to create ambiguity.

Enjambment: The continuation of a sentence or clause over a line-break in poetry as to continue meaning and sense from one line to the next without pause.

Euphemism: The use of a word or phrase to replace another word or phrase that may be considered inappropriate or over-explicit in a particular context.

Epiphany: A sudden, powerful, and often spiritual or life changing realization that a character experiences in an otherwise ordinary moment. For example, the main character in James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man has an epiphany during a walk by the sea.

Figurative language: A type of language that varies from the norms of literal language, in which words mean exactly what they say. Figurative language does not mean exactly what it says, but instead forces the reader to make an imaginative leap in order to comprehend an author’s point. It usually involves a comparison between two things that may not, at first, seem to relate to one another. For e.g. simile, metaphor, symbolism, personification etc.

Flashback: A narrative technique that allows a writer to present past events during current events, in order to provide background for the current narration. By giving material that occurred prior the present event, the writer provides the reader with insight into a character’s motivation and/or the background to a conflict. This is done by various methods such as narration, dream sequences and memories.

Foreshadowing: An author’s deliberate use of hints or suggestions to give a preview of events or themes that do not develop until later in the narrative. Images such as a storm brewing or a crow landing on a fence post often foreshadow ominous developments in a story.

Hyperbole: An excessive overstatement or conscious exaggeration of fact. “I’ve told you that a million times already” is a hyperbolic statement.

Idiom: A common expression that has acquired a meaning that differs from its literal meaning, such as “It’s raining cats and dogs” or “That cost me an arm and a leg.”

Imagery: Language that brings to mind sensory impressions. For example, in the Odyssey, Homer creates a powerful image with his description of “rosy-fingered dawn.”

Intertextuality: the shaping of texts’ meanings by other texts. Most simply, any relationship between two texts such that the meaning of text is enriched by, or is even dependent upon, its relationship to the other text.

Irony: Broadly speaking, irony is a device that emphasizes the contrast between the way things are expected to be and the way they actually are. A historical example of irony might be the fact that people in medieval Europe believed bathing would harm them when in fact not bathing led to the unsanitary conditions that caused the bubonic plague.

Juxtaposition: When two images, objects or ideas are placed together for effect.

Metaphor: The comparison of one thing to another that does not use the terms “like” or “as.” A metaphor from Shakespeare’s Macbeth: “Life is but a walking shadow.”

Motif: A recurring structure, contrast, or other device that develops a literary work’s major themes (see below). For example, shadows and darkness are a motif in Charles Dickens’s A Tale of Two Cities, a novel that contains many gloomy scenes and settings.

Narrative perspective (1st, 2nd or 3rd): A way that events of a story are conveyed to the reader, this is the ‘vantage’ point from which the narrative is passed from author to reader. The point of view can vary from work to work. An objective third point of view can be presented, where a ‘non-participant’ serves as the narrator and has no insight into the characters’ minds (pronouns – he, it, and they). The first person point of view occurs when the main character conveys the incident they encounter, as well as giving the reader insight into themself as he reveals his thoughts, feelings and intentions (pronoun I).

Onomatopoeia: The use of words like pop, hiss, or boing, in which the spoken sound resembles the actual sound.

Oxymoron: The association of two terms that seem to contradict each other, such as “same difference” or “wise fool.”

Paradox: A statement that seems contradictory on the surface but often expresses a deeper truth. One example is the line “All men destroy the things they love” from Oscar Wilde’s “The Ballad of Reading Gaol.”

Personification: The use of human characteristics to describe animals, things, or ideas. Carl Sandburg’s poem “Chicago” describes the city as “Stormy, husky, brawling / City of the Big Shoulders.”

Pun: A play on words that uses the similarity in sound between two words with distinctly different meanings. For example, the title of Oscar Wilde’s play The Importance of Being Earnest is a pun on the word earnest, which means serious or sober, and the name “Ernest.”

Repetition: Use of a word, sound or phrase more than once in close proximity for effect or emphasis.

Rhetorical question: A question asked not to elicit an actual response but to make an impact or call attention to something. “Will the world ever see the end of war?” is an example of a rhetorical question.

Sarcasm: A form of verbal irony (see above) in which it is obvious from context and tone that the speaker means the opposite of what he or she says. Saying “That was graceful” when someone trips and falls is an example of sarcasm.

Satire: The use of language which holds up human weaknesses to ridicule. The satirist aims to tell us something that is wrong and often uses humour. In satire, humour is used to criticize.

Simile: A comparison of two things through the use of the words like or as. The title of Robert Burns’s poem “My Love Is Like a Red, Red Rose” is a simile.

Symbol: An object, character, figure, place, or color used to represent an abstract idea or concept. For example, the two roads in Robert Frost’s poem “The Road Not Taken” symbolize the choice between two paths in life.

Theme: A fundamental, universal idea explored in a literary work. The struggle to achieve the American Dream, for example, is a common theme in 20th-century American literature.

Thesis: The central argument that an author makes in a work. For example, the thesis of Upton Sinclair’s The Jungle is that Chicago meat packing plants subject poor immigrants to horrible and unjust working conditions, and that the government must do something to address the problem.

Tone: The general atmosphere created in a story, or the author’s or narrator’s attitude toward the story or the subject. For example, the tone of the Declaration of Independence is determined and confident.

Vector: Paths of reading in a visual text; lines along which our eyes are drawn.

Last edited by a moderator:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Its very similar to analysing a film and a normal written text, you have your basic irony, similies, metaphors, contrast, alliteration (provided there is some). What i suggest is if you use Adobe Photoshop, some of their applications/settings such as gradient, motion blurring, saturation etc. are good examples of how you can analyse a visual text. Consider:
+Type of shot: http://users.aber.ac.uk/dgc/gramtv.html
+Vector: "lines" that draw attention to a aprticular aspect of the image (see attached, with images used from www.news.com.au and www.smh.com.au respectively )
+Body language and gestures, as stated ^
+Symbolism: there is always some form of symbolism used in images
Thats all i can really think about :p im sure by now you'd have plenty to talk about the one text.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
a few more of my 2 cents to add to the list:

-stresses
-addresses
-pivots
-amplifies
-maximises
-minimises
-discloses
-enlightens
-brings forth
-magnifies
-exaggerates
-evokes

omar273

Oscarwatcher
HSC
Re: More ways to say:

try "portrays", "conveys", "is encapsulated in"

rajsc

HSC
Re: Textual Techniques

Great Job Everyone.....these are some nice techniques!
Hmmmm....since i am replying i might as well add something....
ok for films..
you could use
Chroma Key......this is a visual effect.
basically guys this tool allows superman to fly...
ever notice in the making of films how you see a light green screen behind the actors.
that is used so only the actors are captured..
the background can be changed....to Space......the moon.....mars....new zealand!
lol ok ok ok im losing it
Anyway in some strange way you can add 'chroma key' i hope....
ummm
ill add one to the prose:
Use of Short Sentence - powerful...deep.meaningful...
lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)