Maths Ext 2 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

JesusChriiii

HSC
I only thought there were certain subjects you could accelerate in Year 11 (like Modern History, IPT, Business Studies, etc). I've heard of 4U students accelerating 2U in Year 11 (which obviously won't count for their HSC but can help the current Year 12 current), but never people accelerating 4U and 3U. When would they learn the Year 11 content?
got a friend who stated year 11 content in year 9, and she did her 3u and 4u hsc last year when she was in year 11, and the rest of the hsc exams she did this year with us. Actually in my current 3u and 4u class there s also a girl in year 10 but doing 3u and 4u exams..

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Would they have to do accel 3u alongside accel 4u?
I’ve always assumed from your profile & posts that you too have been accelerated in maths.
Extn 1 can be studied in parallel or before Extn 2; the preliminary (Yr 11) course must be completed before either can formally commence.

notme123

HSC
the trick is to not be intimidated

because of my traumata i rarely get intimidated which massively helped with blitzing through maths
actually this is really helpful. i couldve easily got 4/5 for that projectile question if i wasnt so anxious at the fact it was a 5 marker in q16 which screwed my algebra and expanding. gotta apply that to x1 now.

icycledough

HSC
It's interesting, because from the school I went to (a top 10 selective school), they never offered any options of accelerating maths. Is it something which the top selective schools just don't offer (like Ruse, NSB, NSG, BHHS, etc) or does it depend on the school and the calibre of the students?

vishnay

God
HSC
It's interesting, because from the school I went to (a top 10 selective school), they never offered any options of accelerating maths. Is it something which the top selective schools just don't offer (like Ruse, NSB, NSG, BHHS, etc) or does it depend on the school and the calibre of the students?
doesn't syd boys have accel 2u

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
It’s entirely at the discretion of the school. The top selective schools do offer acceleration in other subjects (for example agriculture at JRAHS), which lightens the number of units & study load in Yr 12. Our local school previously wouldn’t offer acceleration. My eldest studied all 14 units in one year (15 units of study if you count the fact that she studied Adv maths, Ex1 & Ex2 at the same time). It didn’t seem like a level playing field, so I negotiated with the school before I enrolled our son. Lucky for us, the new Head of Maths had previously taught at JRAHS and she was amazing. All the students in her class could use Maths Pathways / Maths Online to work at their own pace & DS zoomed through the curriculum.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yh, they have accelerated 2U (which I'm sure many schools provide), but not accelerated 3U or 4U, which I believe the discussion prior to this was about.
Before the new Head of Maths arrived, my eldest wasn’t even allowed to work ahead in preliminary or 2U maths (her teacher, who thankfully retired, even complained to me about it at P-T interviews).

icycledough

HSC
It’s entirely at the discretion of the school. The top selective schools do offer acceleration in other subjects (for example agriculture at JRAHS), which lightens the number of units & study load in Yr 12. Our local school previously wouldn’t offer acceleration. My eldest studied all 14 units in one year (15 units of study if you count the fact that she studied Adv maths, Ex1 & Ex2 at the same time). It didn’t seem like a level playing field, so I negotiated with the school before I enrolled our son. Lucky for us, the new Head of Maths had previously taught at JRAHS and she was amazing. All the students in her class could use Maths Pathways / Maths Online to work at their own pace & DS zoomed through the curriculum.
I guess you do have to be very careful with accelerating subjects. It can sound like a good way to lighten the load in Year 12 (as you correctly mentioned), but it can also have its disadvantages. For example, accelerating a subject requires a lot of maturity and dedication, and schools which offer this option to students in Years 10-11 may not have the right maturity, albeit only a few years younger, than a Year 12 student. On top of their current subjects which teachers may still expect them to get work done for, balancing HSC or preliminary content can also be a challenge.

idkkdi

HSC
I guess you do have to be very careful with accelerating subjects. It can sound like a good way to lighten the load in Year 12 (as you correctly mentioned), but it can also have its disadvantages. For example, accelerating a subject requires a lot of maturity and dedication, and schools which offer this option to students in Years 10-11 may not have the right maturity, albeit only a few years younger, than a Year 12 student. On top of their current subjects which teachers may still expect them to get work done for, balancing HSC or preliminary content can also be a challenge.
1637064775726.png
none of these schools accelerate any meaningful subjects. except maybe baulko with geography/eco?.
none of these 5 accelerate 2u afaik.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)