Help with Uni Course Choice (1 Viewer)

liamkk112

HSC
You're just a bit dim and don't understand how the tertiary education system works (typical of anons on Bored of Studies - the reason Bored of Studies is not a reliable resource apart from some past papers with sources).

Obviously, they are going to preference their own departmental candidates. The existence of the degree implies its preference, this is true of every university which has precursor or feeder programs. I would strongly recommend OP call UOW and ask them, they will be told something along the lines of "while MD entry is available to high performing graduates from any undergraduate program, the university has a specific program targeted at students wishing to proceed to the MD - which is the premed bachelor".
nahhh bro this is like the fifth thread where people are calling u out and u just shut them down

its public knowledge that literally any bachelor degree can get into postgrad med, as long as ur gpa and gamsat scores are competitive. thus it is a good idea to take a degree which has career prospects outside of progressing to postgrad med. this way, even if you are not competitive enough to progress to med, you still can work in a field which you enjoy and aren't stuck for how many years until you make it in.\

i would advise whoever made this thread to take pharmacy or psychology if they are interested in it, at least then they will still be motivated to achieve good grades and have a career if they dont make it into med, which lets face it is a highly competitive process which only accepts few applicants (im sure u can make it if u try though)

but bruh seriously can u have an open mind a bit more? you're just coming off as really arrogant, like as if you have a background or degrees in education that no one else can be right or that u can never be wrong, there ain't nothing wrong with getting something wrong and then saying "oops sorry i thought it was like that"

jonolad69

HSC
I literally work alongside academics who determine program requirements at the University of Newcastle, I know many people involved in these processes.

There are the requirements you tell people, then there are the strategic internal requirements (premed programs are quite new in Australia and obviously UOW will want to demonstrate that their premed graduates have a high probability of entry to MD - this will simply happen as it turns out).
So...explain this then. What is so strategic about this? Please give some insight

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 12.19.26 pm.png

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
nahhh bro this is like the fifth thread where people are calling u out and u just shut them down

its public knowledge that literally any bachelor degree can get into postgrad med, as long as ur gpa and gamsat scores are competitive. thus it is a good idea to take a degree which has career prospects outside of progressing to postgrad med. this way, even if you are not competitive enough to progress to med, you still can work in a field which you enjoy and aren't stuck for how many years until you make it in.\

i would advise whoever made this thread to take pharmacy or psychology if they are interested in it, at least then they will still be motivated to achieve good grades and have a career if they dont make it into med, which lets face it is a highly competitive process which only accepts few applicants (im sure u can make it if u try though)

but bruh seriously can u have an open mind a bit more? you're just coming off as really arrogant, like as if you have a background or degrees in education that no one else can be right or that u can never be wrong, there ain't nothing wrong with getting something wrong and then saying "oops sorry i thought it was like that"
You’re an absolute nobody. You don’t even a degree.

liamkk112

HSC
You’re an absolute nobody. You don’t even a degree.
lmaoooo bro u have to be trolling

having degrees dont mean that u instantly know everything about something, on the flip side not having a degree doesnt mean that you cant research and understand things for yourself

everyone can research the entry requirements for med. premed programs are good that they do prepare u for med, but u still have to maintain a super high gpa and gamsat score regardless of degree, only for ur entry to not be guaranteed. this is common knowledge, no degree needed : )

nsw..wollongong

HSC
I literally work alongside academics who determine program requirements at the University of Newcastle, I know many people involved in these processes.

There are the requirements you tell people, then there are the strategic internal requirements (premed programs are quite new in Australia and obviously UOW will want to demonstrate that their premed graduates have a high probability of entry to MD - this will simply happen as it turns out).
In the nicest way possible I couldn’t give a single shit about your credentials, I worry for the students you teach and advise if this is the type of false information you’re spreading. There’s a huge dilemma across the medical student society, so many traps that prospective students fall into because no one’s advising correctly and you’re feeding into it.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
My goal is graduate entry Medicine and I have a couple of options for my undergraduate course. I’m not too sure what to choose and I need help fast.

- Premed at UOW
- Psychology at UOW
- Pharmacy at USYD

I am looking for something that will not have an excessive workload, so a high GPA is manageable, allowing me to work while studying.

Thank you :)
I agree w what Liam said, psyc and pharmacy give u a good snapshot of working in allied health/the med sector with pretty good employment opportunities while or after u study. I think it would also be easier to get a high gpa in these degrees than at premed, bc premed at uow is not only difficult, but filled with sweats who are gunning for postgrad med (a lot of ppl I’ve spoken to say it’s a toxic environment).

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
so what’s the point of stating on their website that your degree doesn’t matter?
Each medical department operates its graduate entries in a similar, but not entirely different fashion.

I never said having a non premed degree was bad, I said of the degrees OP listed premed was likely a faster way to get to MD, which is true.

My former students include: nurses, engineers, teachers, radiologists, doctors, researchers, and a raft of other successful vocational and professional graduates and employees.

OP should not listen to anons, as their advice is often not credible, you should definitely call UOW and ask their program advisors for assistance, these degree educated experts will be able confirm everything.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Each medical department operates its graduate entries in a similar, but not entirely different fashion.

I never said having a non premed degree was bad, I said of the degrees OP listed premed was likely a faster way to get to MD, which is true.

My former students include: nurses, engineers, teachers, radiologists, doctors, researchers, and a raft of other successful vocational and professional graduates and employees.

OP should not listen to anons, as their advice is often not credible, you should definitely call UOW and ask their program advisors for assistance, these degree educated experts will be able confirm everything.
Again, it’s not tru that doing premed gets u into med “faster”. Not a single degree (other than pathways perhaps) gets u an accelerated entry into med. And I’m saying all of this as someone who HAS spoken to uow and is part of the IHMRI society.

liamkk112

HSC

premed is not "likely" a faster way, in fact doing any 3 year degree would take the exact same amount of time, given that the student achieves above the gpa and gamsat requirements which is a requisite for both premed and any other 3 year degree.

having another degree is also much much safer, this way if you are not accepted then u havent wasted 3 years just to get nothing out of it but a premed degree that is otherwise useless. especially since the creator of the thread is interested in health related degrees, they would likely be taking classes which would also prepare them for med, or at least are taking classes which are adjacent to med.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Again, it’s not tru that doing premed gets u into med “faster”. Not a single degree (other than pathways perhaps) gets u an accelerated entry into med. And I’m saying all of this as someone who HAS spoken to uow and is part of the IHMRI society.
3 year premed is faster than 5 year pharmacy, this is the sense in which it is faster.

OP literally listed 3 degrees, of which 3 year premed was one of the fastest, I don’t know why you have a problem with this.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
3 year premed is faster than 5 year pharmacy, this is the sense in which it is faster.

OP literally listed 3 degrees, of which 3 year premed was one of the fastest, I don’t know why you have a problem with this.
Bach Arts (psychology) is 3 yrs. We’re arguing over stupid shit, that’s enough. If you can’t stand the fact that other ppl have differing views to yours, then this isn’t the forum for you.

liamkk112

HSC

even if it was 1-2 years faster, you're trading the safety of the other degrees. u dont want to be wasting 3 years just to potentially end up with nothing at the end, u can still apply before your honours/masters years start and then if u get in, drop those years, or otherwise keep going with those degrees if u dont get in and keep trying to apply.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Bach Arts (psychology) is 3 yrs. We’re arguing over stupid shit, that’s enough. If you can’t stand the fact that other ppl have differing views to yours, then this isn’t the forum for you.
Yeah, I’m not gonna argue with you folks any more, OP should call UOW and ask their experts advisors.
Have a good day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)