1100 word count creative and essay, is this too much? (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If you haven't gathered by now that I'm the most pathetically lazy English student on this planet you're too nice. If I can get 14 in trials with a made up creative, I seriously could not be bothered to put in all the extra work to get 15 in the HSC.
Making up English creatives on the spot master race :p

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Making up English creatives on the spot master race :p
My school probably doesn't mark according to HSC standards. It was about a girl who doesn't feel like she belongs because she doesn't look very feminine. Then at the end the girl turns out to be a transgender man haha

wishingstars

HSC
I think it takes less times to write creatives because they're less sophisticated and it's a story and it just flows (if you know what I mean?). I think 1.1k is fine if you can write fast enough and legibly too but then, you also have to realise that you'll probably have to add to that 1.1k to answer the set question so it might be a little risky, though it's different for everyone :) If you've practised enough and it's worked out for you, I don't see why not.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
My school probably doesn't mark according to HSC standards. It was about a girl who doesn't feel like she belongs because she doesn't look very feminine. Then at the end the girl turns out to be a transgender man haha

Very unique [:

You seem pretty amazing at english though...

HSC
typingtimtam probably has a shorter creative, ~ 800 words or something.
@OP I personally prefer to have a shorter creative of about 700-800 words to leave myself some room to incorporate the question but if you're confident your creative nails down everything they could possibly ask, then go ahead.
Exactly! I personally don't want to fall in the "regurgitated creative" category.

wishingstars

HSC
Yeah it's is actually quite unique & I think markers like creativity. :)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Very unique [:

You seem pretty amazing at english though...
Eh, I go all right. I'd probably be good if I put in effort or showed up to class, but I still don't think I'd be some kind of amazing SR student.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Yeah it's is actually quite unique & I think markers like creativity. :)
I always write really weird creatives, I didn't realise that markers actually liked that (I was going to take a more conventional, serious route in the HSC but might reconsider that now, thanks!)

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Eh, I go all right. I'd probably be good if I put in effort or showed up to class, but I still don't think I'd be some kind of amazing SR student.
State rankers tend to have to go through a lot of effort in order to actually get to the ability of becoming a state ranker tho..

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it takes less times to write creatives because they're less sophisticated and it's a story and it just flows (if you know what I mean?). I think 1.1k is fine if you can write fast enough and legibly too but then, you also have to realise that you'll probably have to add to that 1.1k to answer the set question so it might be a little risky, though it's different for everyone :) If you've practised enough and it's worked out for you, I don't see why not.
My teacher says that my creative is pretty adaptable, apart from the fact it's set in a desert. If it's just something generic like belonging to place/people/wider community/lack of belonging/individual-group enriching then I can just write my creative without changing it. Stuff like stimulus, as long as it's not a super specific visual piece then it should be ok too (eg, if it's a big tree, I can make tree metaphors!)

But if it's stuff like "add in this quote" or "start your story off with this line" that sets a scene then im screwed over :(

I got my creative marked by a stank ranker and she liked it ^^; i'll have to ask her about its adaptability though

wishingstars

HSC
I always write really weird creatives, I didn't realise that markers actually liked that (I was going to take a more conventional, serious route in the HSC but might reconsider that now, thanks!)
From what I've heard from my teachers, they like something different - but then it could just be my school :) It sort of makes sense though - I doubt markers would like to read the same generic stories over and over.

wishingstars

HSC
My teacher says that my creative is pretty adaptable, apart from the fact it's set in a desert. If it's just something generic like belonging to place/people/wider community/lack of belonging/individual-group enriching then I can just write my creative without changing it. Stuff like stimulus, as long as it's not a super specific visual piece then it should be ok too (eg, if it's a big tree, I can make tree metaphors!)

But if it's stuff like "add in this quote" or "start your story off with this line" that sets a scene then im screwed over :(

I got my creative marked by a stank ranker and she liked it ^^; i'll have to ask her about its adaptability though
If it's adaptable, and a state ranker likes it :O, then you're pretty good to go! :)
Also I feel that the "start your story with a line" questions are good - because the only thing you have to do is include that line as opposed to you know, incorporate some sort of motif throughout the entire piece. For these types of questions, I think you just have to calm down and think about it - I'm sure there's some way to twist it so it fits. :D The "add in quotes" one are harder though but they won't be terribly specific or anything so hopefully, they should be alright too.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
900 words creative (try and get this done in 35 mins)
1200 essay (45)

Triage

HSC
N/A
State Ranker I know:
Belonging sect. 3 - 950 words
Texts in time - 875
Hamlet - 800
Conflicting Perspectives - 850

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
Managed to write my creative in 31 minutes (1000-1100 words)

ITS POSSIBLE. I think that's enough time to adapt, probably

legibility hopefully doesn't matter all that much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)