• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

12 units but failing a subject (1 Viewer)

t0nyy

HSC
I do 12 units and am doing quite well in 10 units (incl english) but I am failing my last 2 units (chem)
does this impact negatively on my atar?
my mum raged at me cos she says bos has their own criteria and they may pick chem as one of the two units to be included, and if you fail a sub you might not get a hsc cert and you cant go to uni

Alkanes

HSC
Best 10 units. So if you're failing one subject (chem) it will not count then.

HSC
Well...no offence but your mum doesn't know what she's talking about. She's probably just trying to encourage you to work harder for chem. And no, the BOS does not set any criteria with regard to picking your 'best' units.

This is done by the UAC, which scales the raw/exam marks to come up with a scaled mark. They then collate the 10 best units and then come up with your ATAR. There is no 'picking'.

There is no notion of pass/fail in the HSC. As long as you seriously attempt all your assessments and the external, you are regarded as achieving outcomes.

It doesn't matter if you fail your 11/12th units. They won't count. You can get into uni just fine. =D

t0nyy

HSC
Well...no offence but your mum doesn't know what she's talking about. She's probably just trying to encourage you to work harder for chem. And no, the BOS does not set any criteria with regard to picking your 'best' units.

This is done by the UAC, which scales the raw/exam marks to come up with a scaled mark. They then collate the 10 best units and then come up with your ATAR. There is no 'picking'.

There is no notion of pass/fail in the HSC. As long as you seriously attempt all your assessments and the external, you are regarded as achieving outcomes.

It doesn't matter if you fail your 11/12th units. They won't count. You can get into uni just fine. =D
thanks
she assumes if I do bad in one subject i will get pregnant and die

enoilgam

HSC
If you do badly in chem, then it wont count towards your ATAR. Also, HSC is about rankings, if your ranking is strong in a subject where you are failing (which is unlikely) then it could offset your raw percentage.

t0nyy

HSC
is it true that you have to pass all your subjects to get a cert?
cause she said that she found somewhere on bos site you have to get 50% minimum to be eligible for the hsc

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
10 is for very gutsy, lazy or silly people. Which one are you? =P

HSC
Uni Grad
10 is for very gutsy, lazy or silly people. Which one are you? =P
I'm doing 10 for the HSC 2012. I am dropping Modern because I am really terrible and hate the subject with a passion. The school refuses me to let me do Japanese Extension cause of my marks. So it's kind of good focusing more on my two BOW (Drama & Art) as well as the other 6 units. More free periods, more study, more focusing on my week points, so therefore I can get my mark I wanted.

RishBonjour

HSC
is it wise to do 12 units? if you are fairly good in the subjects you are doing?
or you know you can improve lol
im dropping IPT, might take up 4u maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)