::1994 Motion Q:: (1 Viewer)

CrashOveride

HSC
x'' = 3x(x-4)
when t=0, x=0 and v=4sqrt(2)

can be shown v^2 = 2(x^3-6x^2+16)
Velocity is 0 at x=2 and x'' < 0

iv) Briefly describe the motion of the particle after it moves from x=2. How do people do this without resorting to graphing? :)

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
" Velocity is 0 at x=2 and x'' < 0 "

It is accellerating to the left from rest.

Velocity is 0 when it turns around at the edge, so it has just turned around.

CrashOveride

HSC
maybe i shud be a bit more clear,...ok its easy to see its turned to the left but what i want to know is how do we know if its turning again or whatever its doing, and the graph of its velocity is a bit weird, albeit i had to use graphmatica

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
I think x=2 is actually the centre of the motion. Since x''=0 at x=0 or x=4 , the particle is oscillating b/w x=0 and x=4. when it starts at x=2 from rest and x''<0, it will move to the left and change direction at x=0

CrashOveride

HSC
it doesnt start at x=2, nor from rest. refer back to question.
and its not SHM either

CrashOveride

HSC
actually upon graphing, there does seem to be an oscillatory nature hmmm even tho we cant show it thru the algebra?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes well of course there is an osscilating nature. You said it yourself x''<0 at x=2.

Now that means that it accelerates to the left, however, at x<0 it accelerates to the right creating an ossciliating nature. To find between which to points it oscillates it will be x=2 and approx x=-1.5, with the acceleration being greater to the left of the origin.

CrashOveride

HSC
Ok fair enough, how did u get that x=-1.5? Also, i was looking at eg. in the excel book and they reckon good way to find restirction on x is to remember that v^2 >= 0
With that in mind, i get x^3 -6x^2 + 16 >= 0
Dont think thats so easily solvable?

Danny11

hey i was just doing some revision came across a question exactly like this one in pheonix book. the only difference is that the x'' = 3x(x-2) not -4. so at 2 the particle stops and stays there. maybe its a modify version of the hsc question, where did you get the 1994 paper?

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Ok fair enough, how did u get that x=-1.5? Also, i was looking at eg. in the excel book and they reckon good way to find restirction on x is to remember that v^2 >= 0
With that in mind, i get x^3 -6x^2 + 16 >= 0
Dont think thats so easily solvable?
remember that you have already proved that at x=2, v=0
solving for x^3 -6x^2 + 16 =0 just simply using long division
f(x)=(x-2)(x<sup>2</sup>-4x-8)=0

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well 2(1-&radic;3) if you really want to get technically, so as you can see it isnt exactly SHM, considering that the maximum velocity occurs at x=0 it isnt symmetrical (shown by the stat point of the above)

CrashOveride

HSC
ok so i cud just say:

after it moves from x=2 it moves towards the origin and crosses it where it begins to slow down at stops at 2(1-sqrt3) where it then begins to move to the right again. This motion is oscillatory, but it is not SHM as it is not of the form -n^2(x-b) "

interestingly, the sugested answer in MANSW mentioned nothing about this osciallation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)