1st year, 1st semester elective (1 Viewer)

StrangeBacon

HSC
Ok so far ive enrolled into the core courses and I have one elective left and not sure what to pick since i cant seem to pick any of the COMP electives atm. any advice and recommendations here would be great. also what was your 1st elective?

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Your electives can be anything from the University - just as long you follow the prerequisites. They should mention this in the Computer Science handbook.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2015/3978.html

"Electives: Computer science has mathematics and computing courses in year 1, representing five out of eight courses for a full-time student. Electives are chosen from physics, information systems, chemistry, philosophy, psychology, geography, economics and many other disciplines. ENGG1000 is a recommended elective."

ENGG1000 may seem like a good elective - well depends if you like group work or not. In the CS project, irrc you get to control/engineer a robotic machine from getting point A to B (i think?).

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have any recommendations?
Were you good in Chemistry in school? Try (CHEM1011), Physics? (PHYS1121/1131), Bio? (BABS1201), Finance (FINS1613), Economics (ECON1101), Design? (See COFA handbook) etc.

Go with something you're interested in. There are heaps you could choose from. A lot of computer science student have different first year electives. After you've completed first year, you can do other Computing subjects as electives and quite interesting ones as well!

Last year I did history and it was awesome, the lecturers were good, interesting topics and it was just balanced.
I did political science also and I hated it. Looking back, I even wondered why I picked in the first place LOL. I did psychology also but it was just too much theory, and it got a little bit dry afterwards.

Heres a list to all the course at UNSW:
http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/vbook2015/brCoursesBySubjectArea.jsp?StudyLevel=Undergraduate

StrangeBacon

HSC
Were you good in Chemistry in school? Try (CHEM1011), Physics? (PHYS1121/1131), Bio? (BABS1201), Finance (FINS1613), Economics (ECON1101), Design? (See COFA handbook) etc.

Go with something you're interested in. There are heaps you could choose from. A lot of computer science student have different first year electives. After you've completed first year, you can do other Computing subjects as electives and quite interesting ones as well!

Last year I did history and it was awesome, the lecturers were good, interesting topics and it was just balanced.
I did political science also and I hated it. Looking back, I even wondered why I picked in the first place LOL. I did psychology also but it was just too much theory, and it got a little bit dry afterwards.

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/vbook2015/brCoursesBySubjectArea.jsp?StudyLevel=Undergraduate
I didn't do science but I loved doing history so I might take a look at that.. Thx for ur help

CSEStudent

HSC
N/A
Ok so far ive enrolled into the core courses and I have one elective left and not sure what to pick since i cant seem to pick any of the COMP electives atm. any advice and recommendations here would be great. also what was your 1st elective?
From what I've heard from a friend, do not do INFS unless you're really really interested in it.

StrangeBacon

HSC

Sorry to bother again, but would doing Fundamentals of physics be a good pick as i am interested in physics but i didn't do it in high school?

CaptainPrice

HSC
Sorry to bother again, but would doing Fundamentals of physics be a good pick as i am interested in physics but i didn't do it in high school?
Yeah, thinking it's designed for someone like you -

"There is no Assumed Knowledge for this course. It also serves as a suitable introduction to Physics for students whose Program requires them to take PHYS1121 or PHYS1131 but who do not have the recommended level of Assumed Knowledge for these course".

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Its a fair course. When I did it, the pre-labs questions, labs, online quizzes and the final exam were straight forward, in a sense that it is easy to understand as opposed to the standard Physics course PHYS1121.

Example taken off from 2012 final exam:

A 10 g bullet is shot vertically into an 8 kg block. The block lifts upwards 3.0 mm. Showing all your reasoning, calculate the kinetic energy of the bullet just before collision

The only thing I didn't like about it was my lab instructor... LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)