2 hours, 3 essays (1 Viewer)

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
how could u make the exams, esp. english any more fair. the BoS tries, but there's only so much u can do. a lot comes down to luck in my opinion!

DakoToke

I hate english. It seems everytime i view a film, i analyse it. Camera angles, character placement, music used etc. It has ruined my perspective on movies. They are no longer a source of great entertainment, where i can just sit and relax without thinking. Screw you english!

sub

dude srsly...maybe u should try a career in eng teaching if they screwed u up that bad...but then again...u could just sit infront of the tele all day and wait for it to burn away anything u ever learnt. :) whichever suits u dakotoke...

poijse

HSC
N/A
i agree

i agree however,
what would you rather, a 2 hour exam
or like doing weeks of testing..... at the end of the day, the hsc only determines if u get into university or not, and which course you do get into. nothing more......
so dont; worry

renny

hey id just like to say this:

when was the hsc something other than fulfilling bullshit criteria, and useless text types...

the hsc is not about who is the best/smartest at different subjects, it is about who can fulfill the criteria the best - and those are 2 very different things.

i think perhaps the most UN-like this course that there is, imo is english extension 1 or 2. both of these subjects are totally based on independent investigation. specialyl if u do 'postmodernism' and hav a sucky teacher.

i think it sux - even tho im prolly someone who benefits from it cos i do my best to play the system
eg. prepared essays and all (thats something im good at doing)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Finchster said:
Its bad enough that they make this English course compulsory and disadvantage the scientifically and mathematically gifted people let alone put every student throughout the state through this ridiculous testing process that will be of no value to anyone.
I don't think that's 100% true....I agree that it's a shame that in the end everything comes down to learning how to pass an exam rather than learning for the sake of expanding our minds. But I DO think that yr 12 has been of huge value to me, and to many of my friends. Education isn't about preparing us for the workplace, as lucyinthehole said. If that's why I was in yr 12 I'd just go to tafe or hotel school or something. It's about teaching you to think broadly, challenge your perceptions, and develop your understanding and your intellect. These are invaluable lessons that will stay with you through life and will be of way more use to you than knowing how to use microsoft excel.

Nomsqi

The thing is if you are a slow writer you get penalised no matter how smart you are. People who can write quicker get better marks where as slower writers get penalised, which is wrong.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
jumb said:
Let ME ask YOU a theoretical question:

How do you tell who is better, out of 2 people getting 100%?

You cant, so they apply these time limits give a wider range of marks. If we had more time, almost everyone would get 100%.

This is the only way to do it. Case closed.
i know what you mean. but that is the most stupid way of discriminating between students knowledge. One person getting 100% may know a shit load more than another person, but since they write slower they dont do as well. this is just the boards lazy way of discriminating between students, and it makes for a less reliable system of testing students.

Another way to do it might be to give extra time and mark a bit harder to discriminate. otherwise it is better to just give the two people 100%. not everyone would get 100%. i dont think that time would make a huge difference to the quality of writing, i think it will just let people write everything they know.

A2RAYA

You've done us proud boys
HSC
Finchster said:
Never in your career will you do something like the English exam, never again in your life will you be under the pressure of forty-minutes and be forced to recall three essays consecutively within the span of two hours.
never again will anyone make us discuss themes, techniques, interpretations and context either..mind u if they did i'd probably kill em on the spot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)