2 Legendary Figures in Sparta?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering if they ask us for 2 legendary figures in Sparta, which ones are you going to put? I can only think of Lycurgus...so who can the 2nd one be? I was thinking of Menelaus and Leonidas, but i don't know whether they're exactly legendary or not?

Thanks guys!
-marilia- xoxo

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
menelaus at least is a legendary figure - he was king at time of trojan war right?

vicksta

HSC
I dunno if this is right, but there was some woman called kysiska or something, who was a champion chariot racer...does she count as legendary, or should it be someone mythical.... i guess theres all the gods that are kind of legendary like Apollo and his lover Hyakinthos, and Hercules and all those....

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
i think it was kyniska - but is she a legendary figure in sparta? debatable but id stick with the clearer ones like lycurgus (actually hercules/herakles is prob a good one too coz spartan kings considered themselves descended from him)

also helen is legendary

HSC
N/A
Helen! the beautiful one! By same token menalaeus - sp? and Heracules.

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
Agamemnon, Cassandra, Helen..
i would think ppl from the Trojan War would be legendary

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
I aint sure if you could relate the characters of troy here.. considering it was a part of teh epic poetry by homer.. helen probably.. coz herodotus talks about a shirne in sparta for helen. i guess you could talk about leonidas coz although its not a part of teh myth, it was a something teh spartans worshipped and boasted about.
yes, i think lycurgous can definately fit in here.. am not sure if Kyniska is a legand. I cant think of anymore atm... probably ahve to go back to my notes...

hope that helps however..

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Don't put menalius, he was mycenaean, he had a hereo cult in sparta, but thats mainly concern with helen.

Put Leonadas, and Persainius ( as there are monuments to them), or put lycurgus.

da_butterfree

HSC
N/A
just got my notes..

spartans did believe its kinds were descendants of the sons of the hero heracles.
sparta also took over many heroes .. helen's brothers Castor and Polydeuces were believed to be spartan princes who lived close to sparta and helped the city in times of dangers..
however, all this seems to relate more to mythology than legands..

Ralhp is right... leonidas and the other military king can be legands..
also the Ephor chilon is said to be a part of the legand. furthur more you could always rely on Lycurgous..
this will probably be a 2 mark questiopn.. so i dont think we should freak out a lot.. but thats all i can find here..

Good Luck

matt_a

I would put Helen and Heracles. But really any kinda mythical, respected and worshipped figures (as long as they are not gods) can be considered legends. There is no definition of what a legendary figure is. you could try and define it but its more than 2 lines.

icedcoffee123

HSC
can i just say that cassandra was from troy , she was kidnapped and taken away and lived in sparta, so it was against her will so i dont know if you could use her

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Legendary Spartan figures

What about Leonidas, King who led the Spartans at Thermopylae? Though a historical figure, the deeds of the 300 Spartans and the leadership of Leonidas have created the stuff of legend as well as immortalising him. Another is the maverick King Cleomenes who ruled for 30 years during the C6th and had an incredible impact on Spartan military history and foreign policy. They really stand out.

Hope this helps,

Magister

X

xeuyrawp

Can I just say, that I've never studied Sparta, but a lot of you are wrong.

Menelaus was Spartan, he was infact one of the kings. Look at Odyssey IV.22. Not to be confused with the scientist, Menelaus of Alexandia.

Heracles is a dangerous choice, as he wasn't really "Spartan" so much as he was claimed to be one of the ancestors of the Spartan people.

Lycurgus is the obvious first choice.

Agamemnon, again, was NOT Spartan. If you could ask him (like Heracles), he would have said "I am the King of Mycenae and the leader of the Greek army at Troy". You're probably confused because Agamemnon was Menelaus' brother (by most accounts). Although there has been a monument found at Sparta honouring Agamemnon as "Agamemnon the Zeus", he was not Spartan.

Aristodemus, not to be confused with the grandson of Herakles by the same name, would be another good choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)