2009 HSC Raw Marks (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
im confused on what is and isnt double marked in english. in hugh parsonage's results, he only had decimal place (e.g. 12.5/20) in his modules marks indicating they were double marked. however, his a.o.s essay and the creative were integer values (either single marked or double marked). his comprehension was decimal places.

so his suggest from what we can defitnley tell:
Double Marked: A.O.S Comprehension (i Dont know why!), Module A, Module B, Module C.
Single Marked: A.O.S Creative and A.O.S Essay

However, ajdlinux's results suggest the complete opposite. that the modules are single marked and creative and A.O.S essay are double marked.

b4 anyone says it is possible for papers to be double marked and get whole numbers, i know. (e.g. 12 12 12 or 10 14 12) but still think this is a little odd.

so all we can conclude from this is that all of english is double marked? that ruins a few rumours. also, could it be possible that from yr to yr that they change what gets double marked?

meh.

It is all double marked and it is perfectly normal for two markers to give a response the same mark. In fact it is what the training and BOS would like as that means that the markers are marking to the same standard.

All essay type responses are double marked.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It is all double marked and it is perfectly normal for two markers to give a response the same mark. In fact it is what the training and BOS would like as that means that the markers are marking to the same standard.

All essay type responses are double marked.
I told this to my friends and they wouldn't believe me. Nice to hear it from a marker :D

helper

HSC
N/A
Physics is single-marked, but unlike Maths they don't write all over the sheet, and unlike the humanities they have less ticking and crossing and so on. This is consistent with what helper has told us (he's marked Physics). The exact marking methods are different from subject to subject.

Just clarifying about Physics. It is what is called check marked.

Bundles of up to around 25 are given to each marker. For the first day these are double marked to ensure consistency between markers.

After that they are single marked by a marker, with any different responses discussed by 2 or 3 markers.

Depending on the marking speed of the question, the papers are then check marked by the senior marker. This may be every 3rd or up to every 15 to 20 papers but normally is about 1 in 4.

Mark sheets are provided with each group of papers and that is the only thing markers write on.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Are the check marks used as the final mark for the question, or are they remarked again if the check mark is significantly different?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are the check marks used as the final mark for the question, or are they remarked again if the check mark is significantly different?

When my SM has checked marked my marks and believes I am too high or too low she discusses the script/s with me and then we agree on the final mark - usually hers.

I would assume that something similar would happen but if the SM believes the mark is wrong they have the final say to change it so in a single marked script if the SM believed the first mark was wrong the check mark would be the final mark.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Sounds like nothing much has changed since my (now old) Physics teacher did Senior marking in 1990 (except for the course, lol)... before they moved to Homebush.

helper

HSC
N/A
Depending on the stage of marking. In general the paper will be taken back to the original marker and asked why they discuss why. Depending on the justification the mark may or may not be changed.

In the final stages of marking, generally the SMs mark will be used due to time.

Sounds like nothing much has changed since my (now old) Physics teacher did Senior marking in 1990 (except for the course, lol)... before they moved to Homebush.
Two major changes, are the questions are no longer marked to a mean. Under the old system, if the average was too low, the scheme would soften or visa versa.
The markers had a lot more say in the marking scheme before. Now it is handed to you, and may be adjusted in the piloting stage but only with the exam committees approval.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)