2016 Major Textiles project (1 Viewer)

jellybeans_171

HSC
Hey everyone,

I am about to start my major textiles project and just trying to plan what I want to do. I am making a dress, which I am not sure whether it will fall into costume or textiles art yet. Does anyone have some really important tips? I was also wondering if anyone had a guideline for how many techniques the markers look for? I am really excited to start my MTP, its pretty much all I can think about haha.

Thanks.

StudyToDeath

HSC
Don't worry about choosing the focus area now. You can decide what will fit best once you've finished your garment and about to start your folio. You want your project to be unique, the more techniques the better as this demonstrates a high degree of skills and complexity.

My tips are:
- make sure everything is perfect, if it's not, unpick it and start again! It is frustrating but perfection is what the markers are after.
- don't neglect the folio as the folio and garment are worth equal marks. You won't be able to make much progress on it until term 2 and 3. However the Inspiration page is easy and you can start that well in advance as well as Order of Construction.

Nerdygirl

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi

I'm not sure if you've been through some of the older threads in this forum but a couple of years ago I posted a list of tips and tricks, if you like I can copy it across to this thread.
In regards to techniques I'm pretty sure there is no guideline as to what number markers look for, often you are better to have less techniques that are well executed than more that are poorly done. Especially if you choose costume as markers will want functionality and want to know that any decoration will hold up to the costumes use.

Its great to see enthusiasm cause you will be far more likely to put in the work if you're keen.
I know its been a while since I did my project but if you want help or tips on how marking works I'm happy to help or advice on the project in general.

Cyanne_V

HSC
Im thinking you doing a dress inspired by a bird, not sure whether to use real feathers or a fabric technique that looks like feathers - dont know what that is though ?

KTexpensive

HSC
Im thinking you doing a dress inspired by a bird, not sure whether to use real feathers or a fabric technique that looks like feathers - dont know what that is though ?
You're definitely better off trying to recreate real feathers using some sort of technique: experiment. Lots of experiments. Then you can implement some of them into your folio!

shelly1998

HSC
You might find some inspiration for different techniques at some of the show cases, such as Texstyle:

Texstyle 2016 Exhibition dates:
The Stitches and Craft Show, Rosehill Gardens
Thursday 3 March – Sunday 6 March
10.00 am – 4.30 pm daily

Texstyle features some of the projects made by this years students- so you might find inspiration there.

I made a Textile art quilt featuring a peacock perched on a magnolia tree. I had considered just using real peacock feathers- but I ended up making my own with fabric. I found out about a lot of innovative techniques at the Stitches and Craft show and other shows I went to. Its always worth investigating different products and techniques etc.

Good luck with the project :)

subtractandadd

HSC
Just a mini note...

My teacher, who is also a HSC marker, said that they tend to dislike garments with glitter or feathers...
And there was another one, but I forgot

But, don't let that faze ya

:smile:

Cyanne_V

HSC
thanks guys, I ended up doing a two piece style dress inspired by an artist and the 1950's. will see how it goes :)

blissfull14

HSC
would you be able to help with my theory?? struggling with how to word part of my design inspiration :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)