25% HECS increase starting 2006 (2 Viewers)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
damn you klh, just a second i was bout to post that. anyways... :p

"New teaching methods will see the University make better use of new communication technologies, including the Internet.

"UWS is set to become a significant research institution offering top class degrees to meet the needs of a region that is home to one in ten Australians," Professor Reid says.

UWS is the 30th public university in Australia to decide to increase HECS fees since the Federal Government allowed universities to introduce 'premium' HECS for students commencing their courses in 2005.

The 25% HECS increase will be introduced at UWS in 2006. It will not apply to students who commenced their studies before 2005, or to students studying teaching and nursing subjects which are exempt by government legislation.

The increased HECS rates will add $962 per year to an arts or humanities degree; $1,370 per year to a business, science and allied health degree; and $1,604 per year to a law degree.

HECS is a debt incurred by students. It does not have to be repaid to the Government until the graduate earns more than $35,000 per year.

UWS was created in 1989 with 9,000 students. Today it is the sixth largest university in Australia with 36,000 students and it plans to grow to more than 45,000 students over the next decade.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
personally i think the uni need that kinda money to improve, i think janice reid is doing a job that other vice chancellors cant do, our uni is financially in crisis and needs funding to breakeven.

klh

HSC
sorry theone123, im too quick.....i just heard about it on triple j and so i checked and whoa!!! surprise, surprise, i guess uws ate their words. you should have heard the interview with some girl, something about not going to do law because its too costly and uws has disadvantaged sydneys wests residents etc.

klh

HSC
i see the accounting side revealing itself lol....but i agree and anyway, pre2005 students dont get it....hahaha i mean, sorry to those who will be affected.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
theone123 said:
personally i think the uni need that kinda money to improve, i think janice reid is doing a job that other vice chancellors cant do, our uni is financially in crisis and needs funding to breakeven.
The increase in fee's will make our uni much better.
Those of you who can't afford it can get loans/government assistance, those of us who can SHOULD pay.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
hmm, klh is parra campus realli having a new building? i saw in the library they are proposing for a new teaching block, more lecture theatres or something.

klh

HSC
i dunno i was at penrith today....i know that there will be a new carpark but i guess you knew about that.

klh

HSC
maybe its the people trying to get your vote? the student assoc. people? other than that i dunno mate.

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
theone123 said:
The 25% HECS increase will be introduced at UWS in 2006. It will not apply to students who commenced their studies before 2005, or to students studying teaching and nursing subjects which are exempt by government legislation.
Ok so say I actually get the credit average i'm trying to get and i transfer to communication next year, which will probably be counted as my 1st year in comm. Since i've just completed a year of social science previously (in 2005), but starting comm in 2006, would i be included in that 25% hecs increase ? :/

klh

HSC
yes. its not affecting pre-2005 hecs students and nursing/teaching students according to legislation. but students from 2005 onwards will pay those hecs fees next year.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Annegelic said:
Ok so say I actually get the credit average i'm trying to get and i transfer to communication next year, which will probably be counted as my 1st year in comm. Since i've just completed a year of social science previously (in 2005), but starting comm in 2006, would i be included in that 25% hecs increase ? :/
it will affect you either way, of not transfering or still transfering, as you commence university studies on HECS-HELP as of 2005.

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
i am happy.. my tutor/lecturer today was telling us how the sheets they printed for us costs them 2,500$ or something or maybe 25,000$.. and how they were tryin to move everythign to webct.. as the whole printing thing costs them 10million a year, and 2million per machine and they have 4-5 machines..
if they are able to save $$ and then have more $$ come in.. i belive it will be a good thing to help the uni have more $$ to spend on various things

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
theone123 said:
hmm, klh is parra campus realli having a new building? i saw in the library they are proposing for a new teaching block, more lecture theatres or something.
I think that they are getting a new building, I was listening into my lecturers convo the other day in class and they said something about it :p

the hecs doesn't bother me, since I probably won't transfer, I like what I'm doing now, so it doesn't effect me.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Pre-2005, i guess that means i'm gunna be paying 1400 extra for my law degree...

Goodie.
most people defer it anyway, so it wont affect that badly.

klh

HSC
cape, it doesnt matter if you transfer now, youll still be recognised as pre 2005 hecs student, not that you are transferring.
well as long as it goes into your education and not misused, then its a good deal, but it will influence poeple in deciding whether to get a uni degree. hopefully next year classess will be back to normal for those whose classess were cut down this yeaar.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
klh said:
hopefully next year classess will be back to normal for those whose classess were cut down this yeaar.
CUTDOWN!!! My classes this semester are literally overflowing! We are supposed to have, for example, environment and tourism management, we are supposed to have 30 people in our lecture, but we have over 70 people enrolled in the subject. I know it doesn't seem much to compared other subjects, but when only 70 people do both tourism courses and not everyone does the environment and tourism management subject - its a lot- its causing us to have increased sizes in group projects :( oh well, I'll quit complaining :p I know its not as bad as other people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)