2U - Religion and media (1 Viewer)

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
How did everyone go for the electronic media question? What did you write?

What about the last short answer question - How do non-religious people find significance in religious based aspects of society, eg. wedding ceremonies and Christmas?

I was kind of hoping for something on religious vs. non-religious responses to the origins of the universe, etc.

Post your thoughts about how you went in this section.

DevilAshe

HSC
The elctronic media thing was alright I guess... I did a general media overview and then focused on the attributes of electronic media and how its a medium fast-gaining popularity which makes it an effective medium in portraying religious traditions positively or negatively etc... I really was not expecting that stupid Christmas question either. I think I went alright, but I thought it was an abstract question. I really wanted a religious vs. non-religious question too...

10 Days Left!!

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
I thought so too, I just crapped on about how Christmas / marriage are no longer associated with Christianity, now they're about materialism / legal binding, and thus have renewed (secular) significance for the 16% of Australians who labelled themselves as non-religious on the 1996 census.
God knows if I answered it right.

edit: that was probably the 2001 census, I don't know, my brain is mush.

belleree98

I said the values and beliefs we celebrate during Christmas and marriages are universal and so non believers are still able to gain something from these events

e.g. Christmas --> giving --> social justice a common element in both Christianity and secular humanism

Marriage --> love and commitment --> don't necessarily have to believe in a deity to be committed etc

Not sure if that's right though

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
i said that things like christmas are now a national public holiday, regardless of your religion.
i also said that things like marriage have legal concerns and stuff now, and that something like 40% of australians have non-religious celebrants or other stuff now.
meh
im SO glad its over!

Lushious88

HSC
that was the worst non religion question possible..

i just wrote about humanists- and how they are so concerned wtih the way humans treat each other, so they see christmas as a chance to thank their loved ones and friends, and celebrate each other...*rolls eyes*

and how marriage is about the joining of 2 people..bla bla the start of a new life..

well who cares
ITS OVER AND WE NEVER HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN....YAYYYYYYY

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
For the christmas/wedding question I actually wrote about a 'New-Age Religion' perspective as it is actually a 'non-religion'. For instance i mentioned how marriage was still significant for them as it was a way for them to fulfill themselves individually, and may also coincide with what the fortune teller or Tarot card has told them about their future...

The reason I did this was because in 2003 or 2004 there was a similiar question, and the markers comments that were released mentioned that students were able to show a knowledge of the syllabus by adapting something learn in another topic to the answer.

miawallace

mine was something along the lines of how agnostics and atheists in Aus probably have religious background somewhere so the celebrations become part of the culture. plus christmas has become ingrained into secular culture so that Jesus doesnt have to have anything to do with it cause theres still the themes of spending time with family and the spirit of giving and all the rest of that stuff

sarahsid

yeh they were the worst possible questions they could have put for religion vs. non-religion.
i was so prepared for my comparison on christianiti vs. humanism, but nooo they have to be fools and think of something totally irrelevant!
oh well, i made something up! ahah.. totally over it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)