2u religion assignment (1 Viewer)

danieyo

HSC
heyas,
this religion assignment is like racking on my head and i need some small
suggestions as to these questions - or possibly a website that could provide me some information ?

1)Evaluate the importance of the Patriarchs and Moses in the development of Judaism.
2) Evaluate the role of Jesus and Paul in the founding and development of early Christianity.

From what i re-call i dont have very many notes on this and i have to write up a 500 word response for each question. Any pointers ? All help is muchly appreciated.

thanks.

bored of sc

HSC
danieyo said:
1)Evaluate the importance of the Patriarchs and Moses in the development of Judaism.
Patriarchs = Abraham, Isaac, Jacob

Abraham is the forefather of Judaism as is was his key belief - in a single God who is the creator and ruler of the universe that established Judaism to begin with and its most important belief - monotheism. Covenant with Abraham (he got told to leave his home country and adopt a nomadic lifestyle and lead his people to the promised land. After he passed the 10 tests of faith (the last one being to sacrifice his son Isaac) Abraham was worthy for the covenant. Thus God fulfilled his promised to Abraham of a land (from the Nile to Great Euphrates) and a people (the anscestor of a multitude of nations - his grandson Jacob bore 12 children that went to develop their nations and spread Judaism).

Covenants are very important in Judaism. Moses' covenant: the Law at Sinai was important in the formulation, confirmation and enshrining of the moral law prescribed by God - the second key belief of Judaism.

If you need more just ask.... there are others on here smarter than me anyways. :)

agua.fuego

HSC
bored of sc said:
Patriarchs = Abraham, Isaac, Jacob

Abraham is the forefather of Judaism as is was his key belief - in a single God who is the creator and ruler of the universe that established Judaism to begin with and its most important belief - monotheism. Covenant with Abraham (he got told to leave his home country and adopt a nomadic lifestyle and lead his people to the promised land. After he passed the 10 tests of faith (the last one being to sacrifice his son Isaac) Abraham was worthy for the covenant. Thus God fulfilled his promised to Abraham of a land (from the Nile to Great Euphrates) and a people (the anscestor of a multitude of nations - his grandson Jacob bore 12 children that went to develop their nations and spread Judaism).

Covenants are very important in Judaism. Moses' covenant: the Law at Sinai was important in the formulation, confirmation and enshrining of the moral law prescribed by God - the second key belief of Judaism.

If you need more just ask.... there are others on here smarter than me anyways. :)
Also - the entire Torah is based on the fact that the Covenants with Abraham and Moses are about God loving his people, which was a unique thing at that time - most gods were kind of ignorant (not sure it's the right word there, replace as you swee fit) about their subjects if you will. So that's another thing.

bored of sc

HSC
agua.fuego said:
Also - the entire Torah is based on the fact that the Covenants with Abraham and Moses are about God loving his people, which was a unique thing at that time - most gods were kind of ignorant (not sure it's the right word there, replace as you swee fit) about their subjects if you will. So that's another thing.
Oh my God the more I think about it the more I think I stuffed up the religion exam today :(... damn

P.S :wave:

agua.fuego

HSC
danieyo said:
2) Evaluate the role of Jesus and Paul in the founding and development of early Christianity.
From what I remember:

Paul used to be Saul, a guy who got his kicks out of persecuting Christians and killing them in particularly lovely ways. Anyway, so Saul was travelling down the Damascus road and then Jesus appeared to him, saying, "Saul, why do you persecute me?"
Saul: "Who are you?"
Jesus: "I am Jesus, who you're persecuting."
So Saul got blinded and was all confused until, I think, some Christians took him into their home. His name was Ananias, and he says to Saul that Jesus sent him to restore Saul's sight and fill him with the Holy Spirit.
Then Saul went and got baptised, and went into the synagogue to preach about Jesus, where everyone was all, "WHOA! Aren't you, like, the guy who hated Jesus? WHAT'S GOING ON?!" And when everyone plotted to kill Saul, he went to the disciples, who were all terrified of him, except Barnabas and then because he told them about everything, Saul was accepted.
Saul, at some point, became named Paul. He wrote these books (letters, basically):
  • Romans - all about what Christianity is (to the Roman Church)
  • 1 & 2 Corinthians - how Christians are meant to act (to the Corinth Church)
  • Galatians - God's grace (to the Church at Galatia)
  • Ephesians - unity with believers (to the Church at Ephesus)
  • Phillipians - Joy (to the Phillipi church)
  • Colossians - warning against false teachers (to the Colosse church)
  • 1 & 2 Thessalonians - Christian Values (to Thessalonica)
  • 1 & 2 Timothy - how young people can serve (to Timothy)
  • Titus - how to lead (to Titus, a disciple)
  • Philemon - more on Christian values (to Philemon, some random)
And then, Paul was pretty much the guy who Christianity thrived because of. He spent his entire life until he died (not sure if he was martyred or not) travelling and preaching.

Some good sites for verses:

• BibleGateway.com - the entire Bible on the internet - can search verses and subjects, and books.
  • TrueImagesBible.com - search by subject
  • Revolution - same as True Images
Search those in Google.

Hope I helped!

dpospination

HSC
Well, Jesus Christ was Jewish, however, His teachings enabled the Christian faith to be founded and developed, so look at the various teachings of Christ. for St. Paul, look at his role in establishing various Christian Communities throughout the Meiterranean, which is expored deeply through his various letters to various towns/peoples. for Biblical reference, look at the life and events of Christ's lif, as well as the ACts of the Aposteles and St. Pauls letters for Paul

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)