4 psych ppl: ABA workshop at usyd (1 Viewer)

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
for anyone who didn't get the email from psychsoc, there's an applied behavioural analysis (ABA) workshop at usyd on 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of august. .. i think the 14th and 21st are both full now.
must enrol before the 16th july. see flyer (attached) if interested.

Attachments

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
mei_ling03 said:
for anyone who didn't get the email from psychsoc, there's an applied behavioural analysis (ABA) workshop at usyd on 7th, 14th, 21st and 28th of august. .. i think the 14th and 21st are both full now.
must enrol before the 16th july. see flyer (attached) if interested.
ABA < CBT. I've read there's relatively little evidence ABA is effective. I looked at the flyer - it's for "therapists" (in aus, anyone can be a therapist can't you? There's no qualification is there?). It only degrades psychology when psychologists are teaching 7 hour quick-fix "training" to "therapists". You'd think 7 hours would be barely enough to introduce someone to the topic, rather than train them to help alleviate symptoms of major disorders..

It annoys me that people "teach" others how to "help" autistic and asperger's children, as though it was a simple conditioning/behavioural problem that can be extinguished. I have respect for psychology, but things like this..

mei ling do you get junk mail from psychsoc?
i get more junk mail than real messages, and i'm pretty sure i didn't even sign up this year :confused:

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
j-belle said:
It annoys me that people "teach" others how to "help" autistic and asperger's children, as though it was a simple conditioning/behavioural problem that can be extinguished. I have respect for psychology, but things like this..
now now i think you're taking too much of the offense here, j-belle. i understand that the few hours of the workshop aren't going to make me an expert in the field and yes i know that you don't need qualifications to become a 'therapist'. what i'm interested in most is getting experience behind me for masters.. and attending workshops is counted as just that. (so yes i am going to the workshop, adrian..same with zayra and alex :)).

anyway, the flyer didn't specify that therapists are being trained to elimate people's disorders so it's probably best not to be so cynical...

Last edited:

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
mei_ling03 said:
now now i think you're taking too much of the offense here, j-belle. i understand that the few hours of the workshop aren't going to make me an expert in the field and yes i know that you don't need qualifications to become a 'therapist'. what i'm interested in most is getting experience behind me for masters.. and attending workshops is counted as just that. (so yes i am going to the workshop, adrian..same with zayra and alex :)).

anyway, the flyer didn't specify that therapists are being trained to elimate people's disorders so it's probably best not to be so cynical...
yeh ok..

anyway, do you get junk mail from psychsoc? I didn't even join this year and I'm getting stuff :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)