• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

4 unit and scaling (1 Viewer)

pull up

hay guys jst wondering, im thinking but dropping 4 unit, cauz from past stats n stuff u need to really top it to get scaled. so any1 got any suggestions?

J

jhakka

If you enjoy it, keep it. Scaling shouldn't be a factor in what subjects you keep unless you absolutely need it (ie: you do 10 units only).

HSC
N/A
And even then, don't expect scaling to really save you and jack on another 10 UAI points. Yes, it helps, but if you do badly in a high-scaled subjects, it's about the same as doing average in an average-scaled subject. So it all evens out in the end...

I did ten units last year, and wasn't concerned in the slightest about scaling. So long as you work hard and do your best, that's the best you can do. I really don't think the scaling system is as spectacular as some people make it out to be - if you love something, and work at it, you'll likely end up doing reasonably well. :) If you hate something, and have to push yourself to work at it just to keep up... it evens out the same in the end, so which path would you rather take? :)

J

jhakka

All your units count, so even if you do do well in Ext 2, your UAI might not get boosted as much as you'd expect if you did badly in other subjects.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, look at it this way... I got a mark of 43 overall in EE2 (oh god thats depressing) and I got placed at the 50th percentile... my chemistry mark placed me at the 30th or so, but my EE2 one counted. Yeah, scaling is great, but scaling wont help you if you end up with an E2!

Jacks

HSC
I agree...I definitely would not choose my subjects based on how well I thought they may scale...I encourage everyone willing to take the subject as I believe it is really beneficial and I loved it, but if you're heart isn't in it and you're doing it only for the scaling I wouldn't. Like the others have said if you love it and really want to persue it and do well, stick with it...if you're not too keen to do the subject, based on your interests etc then that answers your question for you. You need to be dedicated to do well, and it really helps if you're passionate about what you're doing...but that's something only you can decide for yourself. My advice is to make your decision without reference to scaling...good luck!

and 43 is still a great mark not depressing at all!! Congrats...and I say that knowing people who did much worse...I got 47 overall so yeah the scaling helped me...but the marks and scaling only come if you're doing it for the love of it...if you do it for the scaling and hate it you won't be doing yourself any favours...chances are you'll probably get the opposite result than that which you were expecting.

Last edited:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Okay, look at it this way... I got a mark of 43 overall in EE2 (oh god thats depressing) and I got placed at the 50th percentile... my chemistry mark placed me at the 30th or so, but my EE2 one counted. Yeah, scaling is great, but scaling wont help you if you end up with an E2!
86 isn't that bad!
I think you should keep it if you enjoy it..

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
cherryblossom said:
86 isn't that bad!
I think you should keep it if you enjoy it..
Definently! Don't do a subject unless you will enjoy it and have a passion for it!

The mark isn't that bad, but hey, it was like all my other marks, 2 away from 6/E4 :p, I guess if I explained the situation a little better you'd see how it was depressing 46 Assesment, 39 Exam... lol, thats the depressing part! lol.

Jacks

HSC
yeah I understand what you're saying...by the same token if you work really hard for a year and are a perfectionist like me you're disappointed with anything under 50 hehe...that one mark or so always seems so personal...I mean you really have to wonder why they couldn't just give it to you hey? :rolleyes:

J

jhakka

Will_Sparky said:
Definently! Don't do a subject unless you will enjoy it and have a passion for it!

The mark isn't that bad, but hey, it was like all my other marks, 2 away from 6/E4 :p, I guess if I explained the situation a little better you'd see how it was depressing 46 Assesment, 39 Exam... lol, thats the depressing part! lol.
You're lucky. I got 44 internal, 29 external. Those bastards.

Jacks

HSC
really?? Don't worry though my brother got something like 15 for his external...and I mean it wasn't that bad...the marking always seems a little bit inconsistent to me...but it's ok as long as you liked what you did it's ok...you can just silently hate your marker :uhhuh:

J

jhakka

I loved my work and felt that I did a good job. The marking is so subjective that (now that I'm over it and got into my course anyway) it doesn't bother me. It's so two months ago.

Jacks

HSC
yeah well the fact you are happy with it is the main thing...as is getting into the course you wanted...so good for you I say...:)

HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
You're lucky. I got 44 internal, 29 external. Those bastards.
46 internal, 35 external, so I'm sort of in the same boat. It is subjective... but you know, so long as you get into your course, and have a good time during your HSC (with EE2, that's somewhat possible... only subject I actually enjoyed working on anyway) then it's all good.

J

jhakka

I loved Extension 2. I loved the class and I loved the work. :D

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
wow... my tutor that's tutoring me atm.. he got 29 internal and 49 external.. lollies .

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Haha, I felt badly because I got 50 internal and 47 external. I feel better now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)