• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

4 unit replaces 2 unit? (1 Viewer)

Porcia

HSC
I am aware that in mathematics, when you do Maths Extension 2, you no longer have to do The core 2u Math foundation. I was wondering if it were the same as for english? Will - when you do the Extension 2, you not be doing the core Advanced English? Normally my common sense doesn't think so, but i have friends who believe in this.

Porcia

HSC
as far as i was aware, there wasnt an exam for ext 2... but i getcha anyway

veridis

droog
HSC
but only 2 of your eng units have to count. so if you bomb eng adv its not the end of the world, where as if anyone else bombs eng adv they're screwed

HSC
Actually, 2 Unit English counts for everyone. In 4 unit maths, all that happens is you stop attending classes after the half yearly, and then your 3 unit and 4 unit marks are doubled. English is compulsary for everyone in the state. If you bomb English Advance, you stuffed up pretty bad, doing 4 unit does not mean you get a free ride in English Advanced.

illmatic

NaS
HSC
what if your Ext 1 and Ext 2 marks are better than your eng adv mark?? Seeing as ur 2 best units are counted

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Tender_Branson said:
Actually, 2 Unit English counts for everyone. In 4 unit maths, all that happens is you stop attending classes after the half yearly, and then your 3 unit and 4 unit marks are doubled. English is compulsary for everyone in the state. If you bomb English Advance, you stuffed up pretty bad, doing 4 unit does not mean you get a free ride in English Advanced.
English Advanced does not have to count. Only your best two units of English have to count. However, if you do Ext 2 English and you happen to do well in all 4 units of English, then you may count the extra 2 units in addition to Advanced English.

The bottom line is, you must count at least two units of English. There is no maximum and you can count any two of the four units.

Whilst I wouldn't call it a "free ride" in Advanced English, it is certainly possible to fail Advanced but count Ext 1 and Ext 2 and still get a good UAI (and that is provided you're doing 12+ units) - although this is strongly discouraged.

Last edited:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
illmatic said:
what if your Ext 1 and Ext 2 marks are better than your eng adv mark?? Seeing as ur 2 best units are counted
then they'll be counted instead provided you have the other units

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
illmatic said:
If your marks in Ext 1 and Ext 2 are better than your Advanced mark, then they will be counted towards your UAI as the best two units of English. But if you also attain a high enough scaled mark for Advanced English, you can also count that in addition to your Ext 1 and Ext 2 marks.

veridis

droog
HSC
yep rench has it right
as i said before only 2 of your eng units have to count.
odds are that if you're donig ee2 you'll want to count your adv mark too as it should be pretty good but only 2 have to count. could be 2 adv, e1 and e2, e2 and 1 adv unit. whatever. but at least 2 have to be counted

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Yep :)

Although there seems to be an "Ext 2 English curse". Quite a few people who do Ext 2 seem to get 48+ in both Ext 1 and Ext 2, but then end up with mid-80s in Advanced. I know that just about never happens with Ext 2 maths i.e. getting 99 in Ext 2 and then 85 in Ext 1...but who knows, maybe the Ext 2 curse only happens to the select few.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
It's really quite simple.

The Advanced course is just shit. It lacks any sort of point.

The people who serve up this drivel need to take a long, hard look at what they're trying to achieve by making people think in terms of "The Journey"...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
It's really quite simple.

The Advanced course is just shit. It lacks any sort of point.

The people who serve up this drivel need to take a long, hard look at what they're trying to achieve by making people think in terms of "The Journey"...
I think the Advanced course is just a method of broadening students' ideas in preparation for more demanding courses such as Ext 2.

Aside from that, I'm assuming that you'll be rejecting Advanced and counting the remaining 10 units towards your UAI :p

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Lol... I think that may be how it turns out...

But then, after reading people's 4U English marks on the results thread, it could be entirely possible that my major work gets a really shit mark, and at least 1 unit of my Advanced may need to count...

In light of this, I won't totally give 2U English away...

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Lol... I think that may be how it turns out...

But then, after reading people's 4U English marks on the results thread, it could be entirely possible that my major work gets a really shit mark, and at least 1 unit of my Advanced may need to count...

In light of this, I won't totally give 2U English away...
How many hours of work does it take to produce a 48+ mark in Ext 2 English?
Some guy in the year above me at my school made an estimate of 500 hours - he got a Band E4.
Isn't it easier to get a 90+ in Chemistry? - it takes about 1/5 of the time as an Ext 2 major work.

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Yeah, that's probably true... but my repetoire of skills is very limited.

I'm only any good at a few Social Sciences, Maths, and *possibly* English (I get very high marks, and not-so-good marks).

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Lhyviathan said:
Yeah, that's probably true... but my repetoire of skills is very limited.

I'm only any good at a few Social Sciences, Maths, and *possibly* English (I get very high marks, and not-so-good marks).
So your achievements in English are rather sporadic? If that's the case, I can say the same for myself :p
Btw. is my deduction that you're aiming for Law @ USyd correct? (judging by the UAI and the subject combo)

Lhyviathan

2/cos C
HSC
Bingo. Spot on in all counts. :D

Not sure if I want to practice Law, though... but a Commerce/Law degree opens up so many possibilies, in merchant banks, accounting firms, and obviously... law firms. :uhhuh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)