• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

4u decision (2 Viewers)

Danger

HSC
how well do you have to be at maths to do 4u next year? right now, i cant even do the extension questions from the cambridge 3unit book :(

ellen.louise

HSC
If you're not getting above 85% in 3 unit I would say you'll find the course sontent of 4u pretty damn hard. You also need to have a really good grasp of simple concepts. Then you also need a bit of lateral thinking to get around the weirder questions, to save you going the long way (like recognising the area of something is actually just half a circle, so that you don't have to integrate something complex)

etc. what sort of marks are you getting?

cccclaire

HSC
wasn't there a thread like exactly the same as this?
and wouldn't it be easier to ask your maths teacher 'do you think I should do 4 unit?'

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
cambridge textbook usually have hard questions, usually beyond the scope of the hsc syllabus.
if youre a maths type of person then i suggest you do 4 unit and try it...you could always drop it if you find it too demanding

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Danger said:
how well do you have to be at maths to do 4u next year? right now, i cant even do the extension questions from the cambridge 3unit book :(
you're not expected to do anything out of the extension section, our teacher only set us a few questions in there for homework. And depending on how hard your school sets ur 3U tests, you can then judge whether you should do 4U.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
The extension questions from Cambridge 3 unit are hard from what I remember. Currently its collecting dust on my shelf.

SoulSlayer

HSC
simonloo said:
The extension questions from Cambridge 3 unit are hard from what I remember. Currently its collecting dust on my shelf.
They are an extension upon the extension 1 syllabus, often covering topics with only a small link with the syllabus. You don't have to complete them to be competent at extension 2 maths, but obviously being able to do them is a good indicator, But even so, you should not worry about whether you cannot do the extension questions from Cambridge, but rather your performance in the general extension maths tests.

HSC
if you're doing better at three unit than you are two unit do four unit, because four unit is just an extension of three unit topics. otherwise don't.

SoulSlayer

HSC
watatank said:
if you're doing better at three unit than you are two unit do four unit, because four unit is just an extension of three unit topics. otherwise don't.
There really isn't much that is new in the extension 2 course, complex numbers and some areas of mechanics, really.

James747

HSC
I guess wut i say depends on wut skool u go to, but our teacher told us we need to be getting 90+% in 2u and 80+% in 3u to even consider 4u.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
ellen.louise said:
Piker! Try them! They are not impossible. Just... challenging...
You mean really challenging ;) Most of them require you to think outside the box. I find the ones in the opening chapters near-impossible :(

T

Testpilot

I didn't actually do 4U but i've done most of it's content at uni. It is not really that hard, give it a go and drop down to 3u if it's too hard.

beentherdunthat

HSC
God, Cambridge, what a load of crap... I personally hate that boook and for good reason: It's DULL, and Does nothing to motivate me to study maths!!!

Danger

HSC
Whew.. im glad im not the only one finding them impossible!

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
God, Cambridge, what a load of crap... I personally hate that boook and for good reason: It's DULL, and Does nothing to motivate me to study maths!!!
lol try working with one which was soaked and is now wrinkly and ever more so ugly than it already is. LOL .. when i look at the textbook the other people have in my class im like .. WOWW !! i like your textbook ;) ahah .. well I guess it was my fault for bringing it to the swimmin carnival on a rainy day ! xP

nelses

HSC
Most of the 4u topics need a lot of algebra/calculus/integration. Make one mistake in a page of working and your answer won't look pretty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)