5 Years Too long? (2 Viewers)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I'm 18 yrs of age but by the time I graduate I'll be 23 because of my combined degree. Realisitcally is it a worth spending so much time in university compared to going out into the real world?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
noneother said:
I'm 18 yrs of age but by the time I graduate I'll be 23 because of my combined degree. Realisitcally is it a worth spending so much time in university compared to going out into the real world?
What are u complainging about thats not to old, ill be same age in 2007

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If its the course that you really want to do and you enjoy it, then there isn't any problem. Heaps of people at uni usually graduate in their mid 20's anyway. Some people even just start uni in their 20's as well :p

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
If its the course that you really want to do and you enjoy it, then there isn't any problem. Heaps of people at uni usually graduate in their mid 20's anyway. Some people even just start uni in their 20's as well :p
There are ppl in my Intro to biz law tutorial who are like adults

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Don't most degrees give you the opportunity to do experience in the field of your degree?

Maybe its just mine, but I have to do 400 hours of experience before the end of next year.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
noneother said:
Isn't experience more valued than the degree though?
Depends on what u want to do with ur life, and sometimes u cant get experience without a degree

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Don't most degrees give you the opportunity to do experience in the field of your degree?

Maybe its just mine, but I have to do 400 hours of experience before the end of next year.
Is that that lvl3 unit on work placement or something, how is that, is it any good, cause i got 3 units that i need to fill up in my degree

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
Is that that lvl3 unit on work placement or something, how is that, is it any good, cause i got 3 units that i need to fill up in my degree
Its a compulsory subject required for applied science degrees at UWS. I haven't done anything yet, cause they advise you to do it in second and third year. But there are some subjects that you can do, just to get experience. I think the subject is a level 200 subject.

hatty

Banned
5 years is nothing, lets say you will live to be 80

5 year degree means you finish at 23, in which you will work for 57 years, then die.

a 3 year degree (which i think is the minimum of most uni degrees) means you graduate at 21, which gives you 59 years of working then death. assuming you work untill you die.

5 years is jack all, you'll be out in the "real world" for pretty much a few decades either way, so why rush it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
5 years = 1826 days = 43824 hours = 2629440 minutes = 157766400 seconds...

nah 5 years is way too long...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
3 yrs isnt much less then 4 years, so does that mean 3 yrs isnt too far less then 5 years

krisk85

Random
HSC
N/A
how much time do u want to spend to actualy get a good paying job? 2-3years on apprenticeship? 1-2years doin tafe... lol..

or if u think u dont need any of htat and u can make it without education..

try get a job with no skills and no experience or cards..

its very worth it.. 5years and u can make back wat u made in those 5 years + more than u could the other paths.. it is very worth it seeing u will be able to work doing wat u love..

Vangineer

Treehugger
HSC
experience + degree = impressive + better job + better car + money....

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
one of my friends will be 34 when she graduates and it doesnt mean shit, shes awesome! and she'll still have plenty of time to work before she retires! age doesnt mean anything at uni

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I'll be 23 when I graduate too (4 yr degree, + random "stepping stone" yr last yr), its not old at all.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah i wouldn't worry about it, i know ppl who are just starting four years of uni and they're already in their early 20s, so they wont grad till like they're 26... and i know some 30-40yr olds in some of my subjects

i grad on almost the same day that i turn 21, but even then i'm not getting my hopes up for a full-time 'real' job straight after.. although i'll certainly be lookin' for one. (didn't have a gap year... regretting that somewhat). usually in your course there's an opportunity for work experience, i.e. i may be doing a professional internship for graphic design next year, and in other degree programs there are similar opportunities...

i understand your concern though, 5yrs studying seems like a lot when you want experience as well, but usually you can get it. like holiday breaks, ask around for work experience related to your area of study and see how you go. Employers generally would prefer giving uni students experience over random school-leavers who'd likely have no knowledge in the field...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)